A Little Network Question....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bushflyr, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

I'm having issues getting port forwarding working for Subsonic (streaming music) on my router (I think).

The situation is this, I have opened a port on my server and can connect to it over the LAN by just directing my browser to 192.168.1.xx:xxx. Works great. When I manually set up port forwarding in my router (Asus RT-n66u, which is known to have PF issues) and probe it from an external site I get a 'time out'. Normally I would just assume that the router was FUBAR'd, but when I select a setting from the 'Famous Server List' dropdown and ping it I get a 'Port Closed' message. This leads me to believe that port forwarding is, at least partially, working.

And, to top it off when I enable... (I forget now, and can't find it again, something to do with remote administration on port 8080) it shows as open.

So, if I read this correctly, the port 8080 open shows that my modem isn't blocking ports.

Is the port closed vs timed out indicative of a router issue or something on my server?

And, what else do I need to be looking at to figure this out?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. srhoades

srhoades

You are testing this with your WAN address when outside the network correct?

3. Bushflyr

Yea, I check using a few of the different port probe sites.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

1. You know your router is crap, so I would start there.

2. It's possible your service provider is blocking ports (doesn't happen often, but on occasion it does)

IGF

5. Linux3

Linux3

6. Linux3

Linux3

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

[/SIZE][/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-0]Attempting connection to your computer. . .
    [SIZE=-1]Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet![/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-0]Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    [SIZE=-1]One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT][​IMG][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-0]Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    [SIZE=-1]All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][SIZE=-1]Ah, Linux.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

7. Toyman

Toyman

Which port number on the router are you trying to forward, and which port number on the computer (192.168.1.xx:xxx) are you using?

8. Bushflyr

@IGF I was hoping to get this router working, but you're right, time to dig the old wrt54 out of the junk bin and confirm.

@Toyman I'm trying to forward 4040 to 4040

9. Bushflyr

OK, I messed around some more and from this:
    Code:
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2012-04-20 at 20:22:45

Results from probe of port: 4101 [color=red]On my Mac[/color]

0 Ports Open
        1 Ports Closed
        0 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        1 Ports Tested

THE PORT tested was found to be: CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
    I gather that port forwarding to my Mac (Desktop) through the router is working. But when I ping port 4666 on my Linux server I get:

Code:
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2012-04-20 at 20:29:02

Results from probe of port: 4666

0 Ports Open
        0 Ports Closed
        1 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        1 Ports Tested

THE PORT tested was found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

For some reason It's getting no response from my server when probed from the WAN, but works fine from the LAN. WTH?

10. Bushflyr

OK, got it sorted. :D I had my ufw settings set to only allow port 4040 from the LAN. I didn't realize that the router passed through the originating WAN IP to the server. I set it to allow from anywhere and all is happy.

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm having a ton of fun figuring this stuff out and the helpful, friendly nature of the Linux community is great.