close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A little ME help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Multi-G, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Multi-G

Multi-G

Ok, I will try to be short.

I have a second hand HP Pavilion N5430 running Win ME. This is not a primary laptop, just a good one that gets a little use surfing and most of it's use on spreadsheets and documents.
    I created a problem tying to install a wireless card that leads me to beleive I have issues in the OS.

Now for the problem. It is decided that the OS need to have a fresh re-load, but I have no origional disc for this machine. I have a Gateway and a HP that origionally ran ME, so I figured I could use these sets to re-load. No go. I saved all my drivers, but I am at a stand still.

Any thoughts?

2. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

it has ben a while since I used me but I think you will need to specific drivers. You can go to driverguide.com adn they have just about anything you will need. (hope I understood your question right)

3. Multi-G

Multi-G

I need to clean install a copy of ME onto the laptop, but I do not have the dics that came with this machine. I have two other sets from my two other machines but they will not boot up on the laptop.

4. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

You need a standard boxed (non OEM) copy of windows. Outside of some very rare, specific cases, you can't load an OEM Windows CD to any computer other than the one it came with. You also need a cd key, OEM cd key's dont work with non OEM and vice versa.

Incase you aren't familiar, OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, such as Dell or Gateway. gl, -dok

5. srhoades

srhoades

If you want to prevent this problem in the future, get rid of Windows ME. It is the the most putrid, vile, foul stenched OS that ANY company has ever produced.

6. Multi-G

Multi-G

ME is not my favorite, but this machine will probably not run XP. What can I do to keep it running?

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't see why he couldn't use an OEM version of Windows ME. As long as he bought the OEM software, and had used an OEM key, I don't see where it would be a problem. They are the same thing, with the exception of added BS MS and the manufacturer puts on the PC. Of course, he may have to find and download a lot of drivers off the internet to make everything work, etc. Which could be near impossible, if the PC is pretty old.

What are the specs of the laptop, and why do you think it won't run XP Home? Regardless, you know the model number of the PC, I'd try calling HP, and see if they can send you a new Rescue CD. I had a similar problem years ago with an IBM Aptiva(200mhz), it was about 2yrs old and I lost the rescue CD. I called IBM, and they sent me a new one for around 5.00

Good luck

IGF

8. malkore

malkore

Windows 2000 then. ME is the biggest turd of an OS taht Microsoft ever released. They finally got Win98 SE working well, then jacked it with ME's "enhancements".

I've seen some horrible machines run windows 2003 server, so XP is doable, as is 2000. you'll wanna turn off all the menu effects and crap though.

9. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Dig up a 98 disc over ME. ME is horrifying. I'd prefer DOS 3.31...

Your HP looks like it's a Duron 850 and can have up to 512MB of RAM. Not sure how much RAM you have, but you're set on the CPU. 256MB is ~BARE~ minimum for XP. Worst case, a couple of these and a copy of XP Home should get you on your way. Question is... how much is it worth to you?

If you're just going browser, Linux can be very useful. But wireless is pretty much a total disaster there. You can probably pick up a copy of 98SE on ebay. If you're spending money on an OS, don't let it be ME. Bad. BAD! Ptui...

10. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

The problem with him using an OEM CD is that he doesn't have it. He would have to order it from the manufacturer, and if you're going to shell out money for a windows disc I think you can agree its worth the extra few dollars to get a non OEM copy so you can load it on any PC you want. If you can find someone that has the same model as you and can borrow their OEM CD, that would work, you could also use your own CD. Sometimes different models but same vendor's use the same CDs, so you may have luck with a HP pavillion OEM CD that is a different model than yours, but it isn't definite. I've had terrible luck finding someone who had the same model and terrible luck using wrong model numbers but same vendor CDs but it has worked before.

Me personally, I would never, ever, pay money for a windows disc that I can load on only ONE computer.

To get you going Multi-G, your need to buy a boxed copy of windows from the net or at a local computer store or borrow a disc from a friend or coworker (if you borrow a CD make sure its non OEM and you also need the cd key, your OEM cd key will not work with a boxed version of windows). Like the others I highly recommend you go with 98se over ME. If you have 256+ megs of ram I would go for XP, which will likely be easier to find than 98 or ME. 128megs can run XP but it's a pretty irritating experience. Less than 128megs dont even attempt XP. You can also call the manufacturer and order the original discs for it, but they aren't much cheaper than a boxed copy from the store and you won't be able to use it for any machine other than THAT computer, and like I said above, I strongly discourage this option.

You will have to download some of the drivers (for video, sound, modem, network, etc) and load them manually but most of the vendor sites make it easy to find them with step by step instructions to load them. -dok

11. Multi-G

Multi-G

The HP disks from the Desktop did not work either.

Now under system properties this is what I show
    HP Pavilion PC
    AuthenticAMD
    mobile AMD Duron Processor
    384.0MB RAM

What else do I need to know before I but a copy of XP for it? I am not against spending $100 or so to make it go, but if it is a risk I have a boxed copy of 2000 coming.

12. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Well it's got a 128MB SODIMM and a 256MB SODIMM. 384 is kinda weak, that extra 128 would mean a lot. But you should be fine with XP. Buy it and install it, see how it runs. No way will it be lightning fast, but it should be fine. Basically, if the hard drive goes nuts every time you do anything, you're short on RAM. Keep an eye on the performance tab in task manager and see how much free physical memory it keeps around. If you feel the need, swap out that 128 for a 256.

Looks like HP has drivers for XP, so you should be OK there. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=60750&lang=en&os=228

13. Multi-G

Multi-G

What about the processor itself? I don't know what speed it is. I was told not to expect XP to run on less than a 700 or so processor. Thoughts on how to find out? For some reason, Belac will install, but fail before it generates a report :impatient:

14. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

I wouldn't worry about the cpu, i'm sure what you have is fine. But to find out, check in the programs>system tools>system info, it can also be found snooping around the bios (the config screen at boot by hitting a key like delete or f2, it varies). If directx is loaded typing "dxdiag" from the run prompt will give you about any information you could want.

If you already have win2k coming, just go with that. It's a solid OS that I used for years even after XP came out and it's infinitely better than ME. Let us know how its going -dok

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think we are talking about two different things. You can order the OEM version of MS Software from various distributors for much cheaper than you can buy a retail version of XP....

Just an example..

Microsoft Home Edition OEM version:
    http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=516

MS XP retail version

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1087894&CatId=0

I've loaded the OEM version of XP Home on many computers, you can install it on any PC you want, so long as you follow the user agreement(not on two pc's at once, etc..) If you want to use one disk on several different PC's, the only thing you need to do, is purchase separate COA's. They are a little harder to find, but can be found with some looking. I've seen just the COA(no media) for as low as $10.

Most of the time, you have to order some type of hardware with the OEM version of Windows. However, some retailers (like PCDirect) have gotten around that part of the user agreement, by including a cheap 1.00 ball mouse with the CD.

IGF

16. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I have installed XP on even lowly 500MHz AMD based machines with great results. The machine above had 256MB of RAM and with the pretty stuff turned off ran like a champ.

Ive ran it on a 700Mhz Intel with 512MB RAM with the pretties on and it also ran fine.

I have worked on several HP Pavilion XT series that had XP on them from the factory with only 128MB of memory installed. In my experience XP with all the dazzle turned off runs better on older machines then 2K does.

Stick XP on it, your good to go.

17. Multi-G

Multi-G

In a little different spot I found...
    Intel x586 Pentium with MMX Support.
    384 MB Memory
    Free Hard Dics Space 2096832 KB Free on C

And under system tools we found...
    mobile AMd Duron processor 850 mhz

So I would probably be OK with XP, just not fast. It does not have to be fast, just functional.

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Those specs are probably OK with XP. Won't blow the doors down, but like others have said, it should work.

What did HP say when you called and asked about a new recovery disk. If you haven't tried it, it is definitely worth the try. If they'll send you one, it'll have all the Drivers, software, etc, your PC came with, unless you're just wanting to be rid of ME(can't blame you there)

A Link you might be interested in...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...roduct&product=60750&dlc=en&docname=c00707856

Edit: Nevermind, I went through the process as if ordering a recovery CD for your laptop, and it seems they no longer support it.

Sounds like XP is the way to go. They do have driver downloads there though, so that might help. If you're just needing a net surfer, basic stuff, it may be worthwhile trying to get a version of Linux running. Download a few Live CD's, and see how it goes. Xandros seems to be the most user friendly to set up. Personally though, I'm pretty much hooked on Fedora Core 5.

IGF