A little help with this USP .40

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by benben, Jun 29, 2019.

1. benben

benben

I picked it up today, grilling dinner right now, I’ll try to get some pics posted up tonight. Also ordered two extra magazines for it right before I left work.

It’s a fantastic looking / feeling pistol.......still paid more for it than I wanted to! Oh well.....

RandomGuy, chemboy and slamdunc like this.
  2. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

IMHO, the USP is a better pistol anyway, not to mention, it's darn near indestructible.
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Glockdude1 likes this.

3. benben

benben

4. benben

benben

I’ve heard and read the comparison between the two, I love both of my P30’s, I think they’re great pistols! Looking forward to shooting this USP, it feels fantastic in SA!

This pistol has bothered me for over two months........just didn’t need it but something stood out about it, I liked it! I’ve got several purchases ahead of it, that P30L, a Glock G45, a 4” S&W 686, a 300 Blackout AR pistol. But deep inside I was afraid all the while this USP would get gone, it was killing me! I have a single track mind to a fault!

slamdunc likes this.
  5. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

P30s are fabulous pistols (I am a fan of all things HK), but USP is my personal preference. They are built like a tank, run flawlessly, and my introduction to the platform was (sort of) a USP. When I was stationed in Germany, I participated in the Schützenschnur (weapon qualification) with our partnership unit. Along with the rifles and machine guns, they shot our M-9 and we got to shoot their HK P-8; aside from the selector switch being upside down, I loved the platform.

benben likes this.
  6. benben

benben

Okay guys, just got back from shooting 200 rounds through my new toy, I have a confession to make, I’m a bit of a tight azz and me thinking I’d paid more for this USP than I thought it was worth was bothering me! Well all that negativity is gone! What an amazing shooting pistol!

.40 recoil has never been an issue for me, ever, but this pistol feels (recoil wise) just like my Glock 17 & 19 as far as felt recoil goes. Very easy shooter, very accurate, and super smooth! Out of the 200 rounds, I probably shot 50 one handed, slight muzzle flip straight up and straight back down right on target. I never intended to use this one as a carry piece but who knows?? But I definitely think I’ve found my perfect nightstand pistol.

As far as the P30L that doesn’t exist, I may not even worry about it now, it was going to be used as a nightstand / HD / range piece, and this one fills that role perfectly for what I intended the P30L to do! This is going to be a fun pistol!

HAMMERHEAD, pgg00 and slamdunc like this.
  7. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

The USP was engineered around the .40 S&W and they meant business

benben likes this.
  8. benben

benben

I’m 5’7” and have medium sized thick vice grip hands, the P30 series definitely fits my hands better, the grip is just more friendly, but this full sized USP is no problem whatsoever, with my medium sized hands I would have never thought the Jet Funnel would have made a difference with my pinky, but it’s a very comfortable grip, it fits my hands great!

Out of the 200 rounds, I short stroked the trigger just once which I was very happy with being my first time ever shooting this DA/SA pistol, over the last 30 years it’s just been Glock and most recently the light LEM trigger. As far as still looking for a P30L V1, I just may look for a V3, probably much easier to find!?

9. benben

benben

E409EF8B-A469-4EAA-A123-3D99517B7EFC.jpeg Cleaned up and oiled down, looking pretty sexy! My two traveling buddies today!

pgg00 and chemboy like this.
  10. benben

benben

11. benben

benben

1E850FEA-DCB7-4C54-BF21-8AE06B883084.jpeg 61302B35-AD22-4847-9D97-0AB67B250A04.jpeg 61CFA6F3-4685-4776-AE3D-A273A80EFF3C.jpeg
    Thanks RG, picked up a couple of new mags from them, great service, probably should have bought more than two, thanks again!

RandomGuy, chemboy and pgg00 like this.
  12. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

Great job on picking up that pistol. I wish I could find one locally. It’s probably only one of 2-3 .40 that I’d buy these days, the others being an Expert and a Tactical.

Its a bit crazy that you can get the extended mags for cheaper that the 9mm standard ones, but that’s the advantage of buying when the market is soft.

benben likes this.
  13. chemboy

chemboy

IMG_0616.JPG Finally got my Jet Funnel put on my USP 40T today-it certainly helps with the grip. Also got 4 16rd mags. I didn't realize they had metal base plates? Built like a Tiger Tank, I'm sure, knowing HK.

EDIT: I just wish my USP T had the OD green colored frame. Benben's looks awesome!
    :cool:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    RandomGuy and benben like this.
  14. benben

benben

Thanks chemboy! And what’s so weird, at least for me as I’ve always despised colored frames, avoided them like the plague!

Now I think my OD green USP is gorgeous! I’ve turned down some crazy deals on colored frame Glocks before, just couldn’t do it! Now all of a sudden I’m looking at colored frames differently!

Congratulations on the Jet Funnel kit, looks great!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    chemboy likes this.
  15. chemboy

chemboy

I'm with you on the colored frames. First time I saw one, a Glock 17, IIRC, I thought it was crazy idea. I don't think that way at all now.
    One of the posters here at the HK forum posted a picture of a USP 45 T with the OD green frame that looks sweet! Then there is yours of course.

16. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Congrats on the USP!
    IMO the HK green is far more attractive than Glock's 'green'.

chemboy and benben like this.
  17. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I have one of the first USP 40's. No ambi safety available and cut instead of polygonal rifling.

It is a tack driver. In an after match shootout, it went head to head with a Kimber Trophy shooting poker chips at 10 yards.

Only problem was the cut checkering on the front of the grip was too sharp. Put the fuzzy side of the Velcro tape on it.

chemboy and benben like this.