Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have ventured back into the world of fitness lol. I am 21 years old and have been an athlete all through high school. Once college started I gained some weight and got lazy. I have always been a big boy but back in the beginning of February I was the biggest I have ever been at 248lbs and only 5'10. I promosed myself I would never reach the 250 mark.

In mid February I switched jobs and made myself a goal to loose weight. I wanted to be down to 225 by June. Working 77hrs a week at the Nuke plant, I did not have any time to work out of any kind. By the time the outage was over in mid april I was down to 235 just by eating less and staying active alone. I deff. felt better then I did when I started.

I got a membership to the local gym once I was laid off and now weigh 229#..I am pretty proud of myself however I have reached a point where I need to increase my benchpress and bulk up a little but still drop some weight. I have now increased my goal to 220lbs by mid June. I start the police academy in July...and would really like to get my bench up. I went out and bought Whey protein shakes, but after doing some research I'm beginning to wonder if I should take them due to the fact Iw ant to loose weight.

A few questions I have:

1) Is there any way I can effectivly increase my strength and bulk up but still achieve my goal, or am I kidding myself and just making things offset eachother?

2) Is taking protein shakes a good idea for my situation? how often should I take them? I have been taking one serving after I work out.

3) My weekness is food..I have been trying to eat more veggies and fruit however I do like to eat a lot of meat. I Am big on grilling venison, chicken breasts and pork chops....is this a good thing or am I doing something wrong here? My friend has a 3 day diet from the American Heart foundation. I thoguht about this route, but was concearned about the energy I would have to lift.

4)Finally, is 220lbs too far off of a goal to achieve by mid june? or should I stick to the original 225?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on lifting, eating, etc.. would be great! Thanx in advance

Ryan

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I think it is possible to loose weght and gain muscle at the same time for newbies. Almost impossible to sustain for the drug free. Take advantage of it while you can.

Grilling lean meats is ideal. The venison is perfect.

Look, lift 3x weekly concentrating on heavy compound movements. Stuff like bench, squat, deadlift, ets.. Walk for 30 to 60 minutes, jog 30 minutes or do HIIT for 20 minutes 3x weekly.

Eat lean protein and fiber. Eat small meals 5 or 6 times throughout the day. Make sure you eat breakfast.

Is that 3 day diet really from the AHF or is it an Urban Legend?

Yeas, i think it is appropriate to loose 2 to 3 pounds weekly. So I think your goal of 220 in mid June is good.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Jack

·
GlockMeBeutiful
226 Posts
Dude, you can work out, eat and loose weight without even having to do any cardio.

Realistically, you will have a hard time putting up more weights if you're losing more than 2 pounds per week. You want to strive to loose 2lbs a week, anything more and you are going to be losing reps. For me, if i eat 6 meals of 400 cals a day and do NO cardio, i lose 2lbs a week. Use your matabolism to your benefit, it will burn fat for you without even doing anything.

In the morning, i'll have like eggs and toast. That will be my source of protein for the morning and source of carbs. Some mornings i eat oat meals and have a protein shake because there isnt' protein in oat meal. Subway hogies 6" turkey with lettuce, tomato, lite mayo, and some sweet pepers will get you the calories you want for 1 of your 6 meals so i have those alot. Buy the 12 inch and split it into 2 meals. Eat 3 hours apart.

Doing all of this, i am losing 2lbs per week and increasing my reps every time. If you notice you are losing more weight a week and losing reps, increase your calorie count. Keep cardio to a minimum as it will be burning calories you need to gain muscle. Find that happy medium between losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time. It can be done.

By the way, i'm 6'2" and i weigh 248. **Remember, when you're gaining muscle and losing weight, it might slow, as your muscle gains will weigh more than your previous fat.

·
GlockMeBeutiful
226 Posts
oh y eah, and you can find protein shakes with like 120 cals and 20 protein grams in it. There are good ones out there for the program you're trying to do.

Dont take more than 20 grams protein in a meal, you're body can't handle much more and you'll get what i call explosive....well you know what i mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.