A little advise needed *PLEASE* just sent email to glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by stu10mm, May 1, 2012.

1. stu10mm

stu10mm

Ok all, I swear my intent is not to beat a dead horse here. I have read many of the posts regarding this issue and am simply looking for some updated advise if there is any. I just sent this Email to glock but expect it will take a while for them to get back to me. This is in regards to a G21 sf w/1913 rail I recently aquired, the email I sent to Glock will summerize my issues and questions....thanks for any advise....The email reads:

Hello, my name is Stu and I recently aquired a G21 sf w/1913 picatinny rail. Being very excited about my new firearm I did what most(most modern) red blooded Americans do and hopped on Google and started researching the heck out of it. Almost immediately I felt my stomach sink. It appears that I may have gotten one of the very few lemons designed by Glock...or did I?. The main issue I have read about is that the ambi mag release will stick when trying to eject a full magazine and ultimately the release will break!?!?. My G21 sf does indeed take a little more effort to release a full magazine than should be needed but it will still release the full mag. I have no issues ejecting an emty mag at all. This gun also seems to require a little finess to field strip as the trigger needs to be pulled slightly to relese the upper reciever. This is not my first glock and I have never ran into this before with my previous glocks. The gun only has about 100 rounds through it. The only other thing I ran into at the range is that this pistol seems to shoot low, though this could be due to break in or the fact that I am not used to it.
    I have read that Glock being the great company they are , always striving for "perfection", will do anything from replace the lower to replacing the whole firearm. Replacing the whole firearm makes the most sense as I can't see anyone wanting a mismatched upper and lower. And thats really wonderful for Glock to do. The problem I have with the replacement senario is that I don't want a different pistol.
    I very much like the picatinny rail design, so much so that I in fact traded my beloved 3rd gen 10mm Glock 20(BEST PISTOL EVER) for this pistol. Not to mention I much preffer the ambi safety. I am not a left handed shooter but I inadvertently trained myself to release the mag with my trigger finger. I learned to do this due to the fact that my first handgun was a Springfielf XD .45 which had an ambi mag release setup. I had no one to correct me when I accidentally trained myself to do this and to this day I simply find it to be an easier way to manipulate the mag release. It is so much easier to drop a magazine without loosing your point of aim with this method. The gun need not be turned at all, as it does when using your thumb. The only requirement of this method of operation is that the gun have an ambi safety. You can see why this model is so appealing to me.
    So, what I need to know is this; in the event that my mag release does indeed break can it simply be replaced without having to get a whole new lower? Is this considered a dangerous problem? Any thought on the shooting low issue? This is my daily carry weapon. Safety is of the utmost importance as my 14yo daughter has taken a liking to this gun and she will be using it at the range occasionally.(don't worry she is very well trained in firearms safety) She and I put the first 100 rounds through it together and it's the first pistol she has taken a liking to aside from her Ruger MK1.
    I REALLY don't want to get rid of this model for all the reasons I mentioned above (not to mention they're getting harder to find and are pulling a good chunk of change on auction...it's becoming collectible) but if it is dangerous then I have no choice. I certainly don't want a mismatched gun and while I could live without the 1913 rail I really preffer an ambi mag release, so much so that I have considered just trding this in towards another Springfield XD or even a S&W M&P. PLEASE I truly need some advise and info regarding this matter.
    thank you- Stu

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

The ambi-release 3rd Gen was a pure design flop!
    Ask them to exchange it for a Gen 4

3. stu10mm

stu10mm

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. It's a shame though, like i said I really like this design. I'm hoping there is a way to just correct this one...though things are looking grim.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  4. itstime

itstime

You had me at G21SF ambi.

I can't remember if there was a fix for this. I do remember all the fuss over it.

Let us know what their response is.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

There is no fix,......Glock scrapped the ambi-release.
    It's been redesigned on the Gen 4

6. stu10mm

stu10mm

Isn't the gen 4 reversible as opposed to ambi? ...or is it ambi?
    What really gets me is that I can see the design flaw; it's as smiple as too much pressure being exerted on the mag catch. If you push up on the mag slightly and then depress the mag release it will not stick. I'm a master automotive technician by trade and it is taking every bit of restraint that I have to not tinker with it, but I don't want to void any warranty or loose my chance to possibly have it replaced.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Oops,......my mistake. Yes the Gen 4 is "reversible" not ambi.

8. jayjaytuner

jayjaytuner

trade it for glock 20!
    can't beat 10mm

9. High Altitude

High Altitude

Sending a long, drawn out email like that is a waste of time.

Pick up the phone, call them and in minutes you will get everthing answered talking to an armorer etc......

10. stu10mm

stu10mm

I just got a bug up my ass to contact them tonight and since there was nobody there at 9pm I decided to email them. I'm working 12 hour days for the next week so if no response by the time I have a day off I will call them then.

11. DLebowski

DLebowski NRA Member

uy

I've got one of these pistols too in the safe. A good shooter, has been very reliable and no issues that I recall with the mag release. I'm resurrecting your thread to find out what the Glock factory said about your inquiry and what they were able to do for you!

Thanks!

12. SgtRich

SgtRich

This is the correct response. The problem with the ambi mag release cannot be fixed. That's why they're replacing the whole pistol for any that are sent in.

13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

If you have no issues ejecting an empty mag I wouldn't worry about it. If you reload during combat you most likely will be dropping an empty. If you are tactical reloading a partially spent mag during a lull in the action you will want to keep the partially spent mag on your person. I fyou have a malfunction you will have to manually pull the mag out anyway.

It will probably loosen up a bit after you put a thousand rounds or so through it.

Edit: Old post, so what's the verdict?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  14. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I have a long history of being a product manager and brand manager for a "consumer" product. We are heralded in our industry for out top-notch customer service.

Having said that, I can't imagine ever having the time to read an email that lengthy from a consumer who may have a problem, but isn't quite sure...but loves the gun, but wants it fixed, but isn't sure......

15. SCC

SCC just me

don't think thats the same one he sent to glock :dunno:

16. SgtRich

SgtRich

According to the OP's original quote, it appears that it is.

17. SCC

SCC just me

you are right :faint:

18. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I cannot bring myself to read your post due to the lack of paragraphs.

However, I wish you the best of luck.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

19. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Sine the OP asked for input...I agree, the email is too long...I too just glanced at it looking for the issue.

Customer Service folks get about 47 bazillion emails every day. Unless the issue and desired remedy are in the first two graphs, nothing is going to happen.

20. cripes7

cripes7

Glock will offer to replace the frame with a replacement "G" frame. Just tell them you do not like mismatched serial numbers, and they will replace the whole gun. You are not the first person with this issue.