A Knife for Carry and Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Themarinedoc, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

How many usually carry a knife for self defense as well as your pistol? I see a lot of knives with a clip usually carried in the right pocket and wonder what kind. So for discussion, do you carry a knife for self defense? If so, fixed blade or folder or as is becoming more popular, an automatic (switch blade)? What kind, brand and more importantly, what training have you had for a knife? What kind of training? As an example, for the last year I've been studying Kali, which places a great deal of emphasis on blades. Just like SIRT training and dry firing will help improve your firearm skills, you have to send live rounds down range to really develop firearms shooting competency. To learn using a knife for self defense (both offensively and defensively) you have to spend a lot of time training, and yes, you'll get bruises and possibly a few scabs (rubber knives are pretty firm and blunt metal knives hurt), but this is the only way you'll develop skill, at least in my opinion.

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I've been carrying a concealed knife since I was a Cub Scout.
    Currently I favor a well-worn Spyderco Endura, which I can access and deploy faster than anybody I know who carries any assisted opener, including switchblades. Practice is the key.
    I also carry a keychain knife, which is the only knife I ever let anybody see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

File photos found online. My Endura 1 has a black blade.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Tuco 44, ktanative, oregon9mm and 4 others like this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I did when I was young as strong and fairly skilled at hand-to hand combat.

But even if you're young and strong and think you're the king of the jungle, there's always going to be one or two or more guys who are more bad-ass than you think you are an can overpower you if you're only armed with a knife.

If you want to fantasize about what knife is best for hand-to-hand combat, in my opinion it's a fixed blade dagger with about a seven inch blade. I have a Sykes-Fairburn dagger that would be my number one choice for defensive purposes but it's illegal in most states to carry.

A gun is a much better choice especially once you're past your physical prime which is something that happens to all of us.

jr24, capnjim01, aquanomics and 9 others like this.
  4. fredj338

fredj338

I always carry a folder, right front, clip, one hand openable. I really like Benchmade knives, so my pref. I would prefer a 4"-5" fixed blade but almost harder to carry than my g26.
    If you actually carry a knife as a tool & SD, you really should take a good class or two on how to fight with a knife. It also gives you great insight in how to defend against a knife attack. Its a last option to fists, but if its all you have, it works if you know how.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  5. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have carried 2 knives for decades. A small stockman type pocket knife ( left front pocket) and an assisted opening lock blade. I am left handed, so I carry my lock blade on the right side front pocket. If I should find myself fighting to retain my firearm, I will use the lock blade as a last ditch effort to insure I keep it.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  6. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

Every day since grade school lol, it’s not tacticool but it’s sharp as a razor. 55736E50-50F5-4CB6-A0ED-C19364A33960.jpeg

Jonny Yuma, tihash, oregon9mm and 6 others like this.
  7. tango44

tango44

[​IMG]
    Spyderco Endura Wave!

RSCamaro, jr24, snowbird.40 and 2 others like this.
  8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

No, for protection I carry my Glock.
    On occasion I carry a sharp folder.
    But you can bet your butt if I loose that Glock, I won’t hesitate to cut ya!

snowbird.40 and tuica like this.
  9. B C

B C

Karambit

pag23 likes this.
  10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I've carried a knife since I was 10. I like them, and have a bunch. They are tools. And man jewelry. I don't have any illusions about my ability to fight with one, but if it gets down to some guy on top of me, I do know where to stick him.

11. Sharkey

Sharkey

Hmm, this should be interesting. Yes, I carry a folder on my non dominant side for SD. I sometimes carry a small fixed blade at 1 O'Clock since I am a lefty but only about 15% of the time. I have more knives than guns (in fairness, I am a Meskin). I usually rotate 2 folders every two weeks I have a fondness for framelock flippers that use ball bearings but I have others. Almost all have a blade length from 3.25-3.75 inches. Fixed knives vary but my favorites is a Boker MPT that is now discontinued. Almost all the sheaths carry a Spyderco clip. They are simply the best way to carry a small fixed blade IMHO.

Now let's start some debate. I maintain that you actually don't need much training at all to use a blade effectively. Heck that is why so many people use them. What you do need training in and a lot of it is defending against a blade. At touching distance or bad breath distance, the blade is more effective than a gun IMHO.

That said, I'm just a fair weather practioner of combat. I'm getting old so I don't train like I use to. I know enough to put up a good fight against the average person.

NoStress, capnjim01, DrVlad and 3 others like this.
  12. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

I carry a buck wiamia folder on my key chain. It flicks open fast and I keep it like a razor. I'm disabled and in a wheelchair but if I can get one good whack at him before he kills me he'll have to go to the ER for LOTS of stitches. I had my hand on it once but didn't have to use it.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  13. bambam33

bambam33

ScottMn likes this.
  14. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have carried a pocket knife, since Jr High, back then no problems with carrying a knife at school. Switch Blades were frowned on, but a pocket knife was OK. No one ever used one on someone else. All cuts were self-inflicted and accidental.
    A couple was from closing a blade on fingers. No one ever knew how sharp my knife was. I always carried a three-blade Stockman Type, and no one ever saw me use any except my everyday use blade. The other two were Razor sharp.
    And Still Are!

snowbird.40 and BigBluefish like this.
  15. hardluk1

hardluk1

I have carried a ZT0350 for the last 7 or 8 years . Like others here I carried a knife in middle school but by high school I had a large 2 bladed Case 6265 carbon steel blade with key ring thru the hole in the frame they had back then . That was around 1970 and a braded raw hide loop and a shotgun in my old beat jeep trucks rear window when I turned 16 and could drive ! That old folder sat in a back pocket next to my wallet so it stayed upright and it made for a real good slap jack that did get used . Still have it and I think most ever knife I've had thanks to my wife . Some little ones with broken blades and some I just don't remember .

Anyhow this is what I carry in the link below -
    https://zt.kaiusa.com/0350.html

capnjim01 and Dynactus like this.
  16. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

I don't carry a knife for self defense, the knife I carry is a tool. The tool I'm currently carrying is a Kershaw Swerve. I normally carry something a bit smaller but this one caught my eye. I carry relatively inexpensive knives because I tend to lose/missplace them.

17. No Quarter

No Quarter

Spyderco Civilian. Clipped to my offhand pocket. In situations where I can't risk carrying due to the law, I always have that on me.

18. Micad

Micad

Clint Smith is credited with the saying "A man should always carry on his person 3 knives. One for utilities, one for defense, and one no one knows about." I try to subscribe to that.

fastbolt, DrVlad and glock1097 like this.
  19. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I carry a knife for cutting. For my defense, I carry a pistol.

20. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

I have a Spyderco Delica, carried as a tool. I keep it down in my pocket out of sight.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    benben likes this.