A hypothetical event....part of it happened, hypothetical did not wwYd

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARP, Feb 5, 2017.

1. ARP

ARP

I'm on my way home from work driving. The road that I am on is a 4 lane 40mph with a center turn lane and heading into a business district with traffic lights. As I am approaching the biz district I am driving past a car dealership with lots of parked new cars along the road, gradual right hand curve. Once the dealership ends, immediately there is an entrance way without traffic control but has a stop sign for the entry exit to a Walmart. Sort of a side street. I am in the right hand lane as I approach this intersection. I see a pickup truck pull up to the stop sign and not stop, sort of slows down and looks like he wants to roll the sign. I'm in the right lane, so the truck stops, and the guy extends his middle finger to me. I am in PA. THIS IS WHERE THE ACTUAL EVENT STOPS AND THE HYPOTHETICAL TAKES OVER!!!

As I mentioned, I am heading into the business district, and I know I got a pissed off driver behind me with lots of red lights to come. HERE COMES THE HYPOTHETICAL. I catch a light, I see the truck behind me, I see the driver get out of the truck and approach/walking towards my driver side of my vehicle, the fists are clenched, it really looks like this guy wants a confrontation based upon body language alone. My CC is available to use. I am belted in place. My doors are unlocked. The driver reaches for my door handle and........

What is your next reaction? Taking evasive driving action forward is available.

It's Sunday, play along.

2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Drive away, and live to fight another day.

IF he escalates, 911 with GPS on is the answer... Be ready to provide location(s) and description of vehicle and driver.

CCW play will only make your day waaaay too dramatic... and the "Cool Story Bro" won't be worth it.

That's my humble opinion, and how I would roll through this event.

Who's Next?

Happy Sunday! :)

TBO, jmohme, nursetim and 1 other person like this.

3. ARP

ARP

If it would have happened the way I laid it out, when he got to about a foot of my rear bumper, I would have driven away. But what I would have likely to have had happen is I would have gotten hemmed in with traffic and not given myself enough forward room to drive out of the situation to the left or right. I gotta make that a habit going forward of leaving more room in front of me to cut hard right or left.

jmohme likes this.
  4. beatcop

beatcop

There is only one answer...not a deadly force situation. Lock door + Leave.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

6. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

Lock your door and drive through the light if you are the first car in line, and can safely do so.

Drive to the police station or very public place if he follows you.

Under no circumstances would I get out of my vehicle, or roll the window down, and I would draw, but keep my gun below the sight line of the window.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    Pope-onna-Rope and orangejeep06 like this.
  7. M7425

M7425

Win without fighting. 911, license plate info, physical description and what you saw. Off the top of my head- probable cause exists for reckless driving and probably harassment.

nursetim likes this.
  8. ARP

ARP

I'm in PA, we don't have front license plates.

Hey, for those of you in the W PA area, this took place in Hermitage.

9. M7425

M7425

Angry red neck driving busted ass [insert color & make] pick-up is a good description to start with.

10. dac1204

dac1204

Depends? Do I have my wife and kids in the vehicle?

If there is a way out then I'm taking it. If he starts bashing the side of my vehicle and is threatening my family I would still try to drive off but I'm not going far. This way I could still see him and get a description for the police.

If he has a weapon then all bets are off and he is going to be met with the proper force.

11. ARP

ARP

Yet. Me wonders where one draws the line. I'm thinking back to my Utah permit class. The Instructor played some video, kinda the same thing, draw and fire or not. The one video, a black male with a metal pipe was getting agitated in a setting just like I laid out. He "lost it" and started smashing cars and car windows with the pole. Draw or no draw? The Instructor said that he would have drawn and fired because when the glass and pipe and all were flying it was only a matter of short time before you were going to get hit with the pipe. Which I found sort of surprising. The Instructor is LEO in the area where the course was offered.

I'm not pushing a youtube channel or anything, but there is one that I need to visit a lot more to keep the mind fresh to threats and how to react. Think it is called First Defender.

12. ARP

ARP

That descriptive is not going to go very far. In that area, probably covered about 25% of the population.

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So a guy flipped you the bird and this is the thought process that followed?

The law in some states, such as Kentucky and Florida says that if a person attempts to unlawfully and forcibly enter an occupied vehicle he is presumed to be attempting to commit a deadly force felony against the occupants - in this situation, I would not have much confidence in being justified in shooting him, even in one of those states. In other states, it would be much stricter.

jfusaro, nursetim and orangejeep06 like this.
  14. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Back up over/on top of his car like the Florida driver did.

wp

15. ARP

ARP

You did catch the part where I said HYPOTHETICAL.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Your car was locked or lockable and you didn't say anything about him having a weapon to break the window. Where is the danger to anything but your paint?

orangejeep06 likes this.
  17. ARP

ARP

My Xterra is supposed to be a good rock climber but I think it would be a wash against a pickup.

18. ARP

ARP

As most of these types of road rage things play out, on local news I'm hearing fists are the weapon of choice. Seems to be a spike of incidents like this around here.

19. Beermeister

Beermeister Deplorable

Drive away if you can. If he follows you, tries to run you off the road, pull over and shoot him if he gets too close.

20. glockman97420

glockman97420

[​IMG]
    This is clearly the answer, hypothetically of course.