close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A helpful practice tool/ new targets for GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike g35, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mike g35

mike g35

Since the only stage I shot well yesterday was the "Glock M" I guess I can post this with confidence. I shoot a mock up of that stage when I practice but instead of using a full size pepper popper I shoot a 6" colt speed plate auto popper I got from MGM targets. The practice target being ALOT smaller helped me when shooting yesterday so I thought I would post about it. Here's one you shouldn't do though. I have been practicing with AP-1 Bianchi targets instead of the D-1 targets we shoot at GSSF matches. The lack of marked scoring rings made it very hard for me on the Five to Glock yesterday. Just thought I would let you know what helped me and what didn't. And I have already ordered some D-1 targets and pasters (from Target Barn)like the GSSF uses so maybe next time I will be a liitle better off on the cardboard.

2. SARDG

SARDG

Did you actually order the cardboard D-1s, because the paper D-1s still have the rings - which isn't all bad for initial practice.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you don't need to see the rings, aim for the middle of the target. if you fold it in half top to bottom and then fold it in half side to side where the lines cross is the center. just visualize where the folds will cross and aim there.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks for the info. Ed. And yes I did already order the D-1's (cardboard). I figure if you shoot it in a match you should shoot it in practice. I even got the pasters and I am going to put them on the target kind of how they appeared on most of the targets yesterday just to simulate match conditions. By the way Ed, I tried 10 times today to emulate what you did on the plates yesterday (even though I knew it would only be luck if I did) and all I can say is, once again, WOW! I can't get my first shot off in less than half of that time. (1.12 seconds to first shot)

5. Jason L

Jason L

Hi Mike,
    I just received universal tagets from Richard at Custom Steel Targets. They are perfect for GSSF practice. I ordered them with 4' steel poles and 8" plates at no extra charge. You can use them for cardboard targets too. I could not believe the quality for the price:wow:. I got 6 so I can simulate all the stages. They break down really easy with no tools.
    http://www.customsteeltargets.com/

6. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks I have 6 steel plates (8") but I was shooting them off the ground. I am planning to buy some knockover target holders/stands from MGM targets later this month.

7. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

8. mike g35

mike g35

Thanks but I have a hang up about shooting the same targets that i see in a match. I may order some just for some 10yard speed fire drills though. My MGM 1/2 IPSC target works pretty well for that but it's hard to count the hits on steel without a partner watching. Good link, thanks gain.

9. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Understand. The range I go to maxes out at 50 ft, so I am forced to simulate the 25 yd target anyway.

10. mike g35

mike g35

My home range has 25, 50, and 100 yard bays (actually not "bays" but the range is split into three strips with embankments marking yardage) but it's always busy and it's hard to get time to reset my plates.

11. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

where I practice it has 6/9/15/21/36/45/55/75 feet marked off and I'm the only one there. Unless I bring my children, who are in charge of collecting BRASS, lol.

it's a private range, and it's FREE to anyone who took the CWP (Carry with Permit) class from him.

all I have to do is call and set a time and it's all mine.

Greg

12. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Another way to visualize it;

The top of the target is obviously a semi-circle.

Visualize extending the circle all the way down and around.

The 6 o'clock position of that circle is the center of the A ring.

13. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

that's a little easier...

I need to get some targets, since I've just been practicing with paper plates, lol.

So, hopefully the visual you describe will help me.
    Greg

14. DannyII

DannyII

The little 6" paper plates have really helped my plate scores, and they're cheap...$2 for 100 targets. I just staple 4 of them up on a standard 2' wide target stand that my range has. I shoot them at 10 yards, and at the matches, the 8" plates look a lot bigger to me. (FWIW 8" plates at 11 yards = 6" plates at 7.3 yards.)

That said, I do miss the "ping" of a real plate rack though. Plus, there is something very satisfying about a hit resulting in the target disappearing.

15. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

yea, I use the 6" paper plates also. lol.
    Greg

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

when i shoot plates i don't hear the hits, but if i'm quick i can see 4 plates falling in slow motion.

17. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

When you order your D-1 targets make sure you also order the paper centers. You just staple the center in and tape all of the holes outside of the C ring. A lot cheaper than replace the cardboard.

18. SARDG

SARDG

You shoot the target centers?? No wonder my scores have been so bad.

19. jdwatson

jdwatson

Norske, I never thought of it like that. I really think that will help me. For some reason, I cannot stop myself from shooting at the middle of the arc which is 12 o'clock and not center as you've explained. Now, I just have to say 'shoot 6 o'clock' and maybe I'll score a little better.

20. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Actually, looking at the target dimensions on Page 20 of the Glock Report, I think that the actual 6 o'clock position is about an inch or two below the bottom of the "A" ring. But that is still comfortably in the "B" ring so I think the "extending the circle" idea should still work. :embarassed: