A hard choice to make G22 Gen4 or G22 RTF

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by James Dean, Mar 15, 2010.

1. James Dean

James Dean

I bought a G17 Gen 4 last week. Here in NJ you can only buy 1 a month. In 3 week I can buy another. I saw a G22 RTF Fish Gills, really had a great grip, and I really like the fish gills on the slide. The Gen4 has a duel recoil spring and I'm told 20 to 25% less recoil I like the feel of not using a backstrap. The G22 would be a range gun as well as home defense, and so far would be my only .40 Which would you guys pick?

2. E-Money

E-Money

Since you say you really like the feel of not using a backstrap, I'd say Gen4. You get everything the RTF2 has and more (except the fish gills) if you go with the Gen4.

3. flieger67

flieger67

James Dean - where did you get the info about the dual recoil spring reducing recoil by 20-25%? I haven't seen that stated anywhere. When I was looking at different recoil spring setups for my 19, most of the info I saw indicated that there was little to no difference with the after-market setups that featured dual springs.

As for which version to select, are you planning to mount a light laser on the 22? If so, you might be better off with the Gen4 as the new model is supposed to fix some potential weak areas with the 3rd gen design when mounting devices on the rail: that's the reason that I've read for the dual spring setup in Gen4.

However, if you plan to run the gun without a light or laser and you like the texture of the RTF2 and the grip fits your hand well, go for the RTF2 pistol. Gen4 is not as "aggressive" as RTF2. Like you, I do prefer the fish gills on the slide and wish Gen4 had them.

Good luck in your decision.

4. James Dean

James Dean

I read the 20 to 25% on here. You will have to do a search, but from what I understand that number comes from Glock. I'm sure someone will post about it. Some on here know as much about Glock as the factory does.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

A lot of people are saying they can barely tell any difference, if at all. I think 20-25% recoil reduction sounds a bit optimistic, since it would mean a Gen4 G22 feels like shooting a Gen3 G17. (it doesn't.)

6. Range Rat

Range Rat

Get the Gills! They won't be around forever.

7. Larry V

Larry V

I solved the problem , I bought both. I love the RTF2 Frame but I also love the Gen 4 without a Backstrap.The recoil is alot less on the Gen4. Last week I bought a 23RTF2.

8. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

Get the Gen4. The gills are not functional and look gay.

9. dday27

dday27

Say that down the road when everybody will be looking for one....

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Considering all the problems the Gen 4's are having,I'd say get the RTF2.The newer one with straight serrations,that is.

11. tx787

tx787

I think you ought to get the Gen4 22 if you are happy with your Gen4 17. The Gen4 was designed with the priority of the .40 S&W caliber and the full frame 22 so it's probably the best choice for .40. Wait another month or two and then get a Gen3 RTF fish gills 19, that'll become more unique over time.

12. chukb

chukb

wait for a gen 4 g23.

that's my plan anyways....

13. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

based on the OP's criteria, & my personal bias, I'd go for the Gen4, unless, there was a significant price benefit to going w/the Gen3 version.

14. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

At this point, the RTF2 with the fish gills may be a collectible.

I'd say get both fishgill and Gen4.

15. timbob

timbob

Exactly. I'm considering getting another Gen 3 G22 RTF2 for every day carry just so I can keep my current Gen 3 G22 RTF2 in pristine condition.

I love the grip of the gen 3 RTF2, hate the adjustable backstraps on the gen 4 and I have no issues with .40 S&W recoil. Irrelevant as far as functionality is concerned, but that "Gen 4" on the slide drives me nuts.

16. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

:agree:

17. OrangeDonkey

OrangeDonkey

+1 for fish gills....they rock!

18. timbob

timbob

c'mon man, they're shark gills.

rawr. :cool:

19. Slug71

Slug71

My local gun shop had 2 G22s with shark gills today, one new and one used. No G19s though :crying:

20. Noponer

Noponer

It would defy the laws of physics for the recoil for any given cartridge to be reduced at all by any recoil spring. That's why it is often called "felt recoil".

For every action there is an opposite & equal reaction. Differences in recoil systems alter the way the recoil is delivered... making it feel snappier or slower, etc. - but the total energy going into your hand is still the same.