Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Good Wife

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by BilltheCat, Nov 12, 2005.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

Sanford, Florida
    Veterans day. I am off to work but with one addition: an Air Force pin, small unobtrusive and worth its weight in blood to me.

About an hour later into work comes my wife with my lunch, and a balloon that say's "Thank You Veteran!" and has flags and assorted stuff like that on it.

I don't talk much about those years to anyone except here at GT. Not many knew much about my past.

She brought the ballon over attacked it to my lunchbox, and with a kiss, said "Happy Veterans day sweetie!"

I heard that several times more that day and it felt pretty good.

But I went into the restroom later and cried a bit. I remembered Capt Pate and his F105, Amn JImmy H, taking fire but pulling arming flags so the F-4's could get out of dodge. Jimmy dying in my arms.

They tell me happy Veterans day but the best of us arent here anymore. And I am ashamed that I came home.

I guess I am just an aging old man with no damn sense at all anymore.

I feel like releasing that balloon.
  2. td.trmntr

Fort Wayne, IN
    To; Billthecat

I feel and understand your pain, bro. I was in 17 years and had more than one bro die in front of me. And I've suffered survivors guilt too. Like, why am I alive when they're not? Why wasn't it me instead of them? It sounds to me like you have a loving and supportive wife who is behind you all the way. Try to do some living for her and your fallen friends and keep your chin up. I like to think we all made a difference in our own corner of this world. Anytime you feel like it, feel free to contact me through this forum if you need to talk.

Peace be with you always