close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A good salmon dish?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by mccaincouldwin?, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mccaincouldwin?

mccaincouldwin?

I'm inviting this girl over tomorrow night to cook dinner. I was planning on cooking salmon that comes in a cucumber dill sauce (she loves fish) with green beans and maybe some basmati rice? It sounds kinda bland. I'm not an expert cook, so any suggestions would be great (especially with regard to the side dishes). Something simple that tastes great (also a good wine suggestion would be helpful).

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

3. noway

noway

how are you going to cook it?

I like to rub small amounts of dillweed or oregano on the top of a salmon fillet and cook it over the grill and serve with capellini & steamed brocolli and a good white wine.

Never had any compliants and much cheaper than going out to a yuck restaurant and paying over $20.00 for the same meal ;)

Salmon is a good fish that let's you be creative in alot of ways. just try to get your fish fresh and you would be in good shape.

oh to add: if you have "wild" salmon available, buy it. It's 100x better tasting than farm raised salmon that actually has coloring added to the fish food to get that orange-red coloring :frown:

Wild salmon is pretty much reddish in tone, has a stronger but nicer flavor and cooks better imho. Price is about 6 dollars more per pound but it's worth it ;)

4. tavo

tavo

5. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

+2 on what noway said...fresh, wild salmon is the way to go. I prefer sockeye and coho.
    Salmon is great on the grill. If you are going to grill it, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush/spray the grate with oil. I like to rub the fish with a rub that has some light brown sugar which gives it a nice crust and char marks. Spray the fish on both sides with cooking spray and grill it skin side up first.
    There are many grill sauces/glazes that are great with salmon which can be brushed on for great flavor.
    Cucumber/dill is a classic for salmon. I generally pan fry in clarified butter and finish in the oven for this method. I might serve this with a Cakebread Chardonnay if I was trying to impress a lady.