close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A good friend has kidney stones.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Feb 11, 2010.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Fifty-seven year old female in otherwise superb health. Ultrasound therapy is not an option, she has lots of little stones. She is on meds and was told to stop drinking diet soda. Are there other foods/drinks that should be avoided. BTW - she is drinking A LOT of water per her doc.

2. Trigun

Trigun

Unless she passes some and they test to find out the composition then it's hard to say. Mine was caused by caffeine but you can also get them from just drinking tap water. I'd say caffeine is probably the most common cause.

3. The_Drizzle

The_Drizzle I make it rain!

I read about drinking a bunch of lemon juice a while back. I don't know if it works but I think the guy said he had a few stones and he dissolved them by drinking several glasses of lemon juice and a lot of water every day for like a month or so. I am deathly afraid of kidney stones and wish your friend the best.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The worst pain in my life.

Never caught my stone so we don't know what caused it.:upeyes:

5. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

like your friend I have bunches. The Calcium kind.
    My doc says that diet coke has no affect and doesn't cause them. Its just my metabolism that causes it.
    I do have to keep water by my bed so I wake up just to drink.
    Stay hydrated with anything, that was my Doctors advice.

I have a jar or them. Sometimes the worse ones are the smallest. And they never hurt coming out, they are agony going from the kidney to the bladder. Once they hit the bladder the pain is over.

6. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

Drinking a lot of water will cause the stones to move, but one should always remember that even small kidney stones, can cause a lot of Pain.

If they are small they may pass with little or no pain, but I would advise you're friend to have some sort of Rx pain medicine on hand, just in case.

If she cannot stand the pain, she should go to the ER to have IV therapy, and a good pain medicine like Morphine.

Worst case--If she cannot pass the stone, I would go with the Lipotripsy procedure, But under no circumstance would I let the Dr place a stent ( to push back the stone ). This does nothing to solve the problem.

I hope all goes well.

hardeyes

7. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Just a suggestion on the stent procedure. It does not solve the problem, but in some cases it can prevent a complete shutdown of the kidney. I has a stone that moved and blocked the output of the kidney completely and almost lost that kidney because I was waiting for the stone to pass and the kidney could not function.

There are several procedures and more than one kind of stone. If your friend can pass even one they can determine the type and maybe work on prevention. My wife had a 17mm stone two years ago, three ultrasound treatments and it turned to sand and she passed it. Mine were smaller but moved into the ureter before we could ultrasound them so the doctor used a stone manipulator and ran a current through the stone to break it. It is soaked in "water" and the current turns that to steam and breaks the stone.

If she does not have the white fatty stones you should be good.

8. Drilled

Drilled

Ultrasound could help...bottom line is diet.
    Lots of distilled water and things that don't deplete calcium in the diet can keep you out of the mire. Kidney stones are caused by the body scavenging the calcium out of your system. Have them do a search...completely avoidably, if one educates themselves.

9. CaptMuttonChops

CaptMuttonChops

I've had several myself. I don't dislike anyone enough to wish they had them. Mine ended up being oxalate stones; doctor said it was most likely because I wasn't getting enough calcium, which bonds to oxalate and moves out of your system. I found that sitting in a tub or whirlpool helped a lot, so hot you almost can't stand it. That and vicodin.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Lemon, orange and cranberry juice is suppose to be good every once in awhile. Lay off caffeine and soda.

11. dreis454

dreis454

Aug 2008 stones killed me......twice.
    I had a stone that got stuck halfway between my kidney & bladder,got infected & cause SEPSIS. The sepsis stopped my heart in the emergency room twice,once for 12+ minutes & again for 7 minutes.

I spent 32 days in the hospital being treated for the heart problems I NOW have & 2 weeks in a physical rehab facility to gain my strength back that I had lost from being bedridden for a month.
    Heart issues are here to stay....

STONES ARE NO JOKE! tell your friend to get them taken care of.

I now have a good Urologist,my last one is dealing with my lawyer......

BTW,my stones were Uric acid which is alot like calcium stones.....have them checked & if they are Uric acid,take Allopurinol.

12. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

I had one last year (When I was 24 :sad: ) Heres my story:

WALL OF TEXT WARNING

I started urinating a crimson color (blood, obviously) every so often but had no health insurance so figured I'd either die or be ok. This lasted for almost a month. I was also having "back" pain on and off but I work I physical job so I figured I had just hurt something.

Then I experienced the worst pain of my life. I tried waiting for it to go away but after about 4 hours of the worst agony I could ever imagine I got my girlfriend to take me to the urgent care. They hooked me up to an IV to give me fluids, ran a catscan, and gave me pain meds. After they saw it was a kidney stone the Dr. referred me to a urologist and told me I should take off the rest of the week and I'd pass it in 3-4 days. I was perscriped percocet and an antiobotic to to fight infection.

The Urologist I saw a day later told me I only had a 50% chance of passing it and if it didn't pass within 7 days he would operate on me. In the mean time he gave me percocet.

In the mean time the pain lasted about 4 or 5 days, I never passed the stone, and I stayed #$%^ed up on pain meds 24/7. After that time, the pain went away (for the most part) and I went back to work. During this time I was drinking about a case of water every day or so.

When I received the $4000 bill in the mail just for the urgent care visit (the catscan was almost $3000 for 15 seconds in a tube) I decided I would never be able to afford the surgery and decided to wait it out. Every now and again I would feel a little pain somewhere inside me but it would go away or I'd take a pain pill.

After about two months I started to wonder if the stone had slipped out with out me knowing it and what little bit of pain I was having was all in my head.

Then I got a urinary tract infection. Or so I thought. I'm male BTW.

It started burning when I would pee and over the course of a weekend this progressed to an unbearable burning sensation that never went away. I went to Wallyworld and bought some female medicine stuff called AZO for UTIs and some cranberry juice. The AZO turned my piss orange and red but made the pain/burnning go away and after a few days it sort of subsided.

Then it came back about a week later. I started with the AZO and cranberry juice again and it wasn't helping. I was drinking 2 bottles a day of the cranberry juice. I remember going to the fair and trying to have a good time with my girlfriend but the whole time it felt like needles in my ***** :( This went on for 2 more days and I was about at the point of going back to the urgent care. The last day it felt like I had something stuck inside my ***** and I was wondering how the hell I had let a UTI get this bad. I went to the bathroom before I left for work and *PLOP* I heard something hit the water in the toilet and the pain instantly went away. Sure enough, at the bottom of the toilet was my stone. It about the size of a pellet, or maybe a little bigger. It was spiny, pointy, and kind of sharp.

If you don't know what one looks like here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2HAf4UcjzgI/R3nWTZQIOUI/AAAAAAAAAuA/S1r0mPCnX68/s400/kidney_stone.jpg

Mine was shaped like "pain" with "agony" and "misery" all over it on the sides.

It took 2.5 months to pass after being diagnosed and a month of pissing blood before that.

My insurance kicked in last month but haven't made it back to the urologist so I don't know what caused it. I drink a lot of soda and get dehydrated at work all the time so I would gather one of those is the culprit. If I ever get another one (and I'm sure I will) they can take it out of me ASAP because I never want to live through that again.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. Trigun

Trigun

I drank coke like water when I was hit with mine. In fact I may not have drank much water at all. It felt like a knife in my back that woke me up at 3:00am and I had no clue what it was. I went to the hospital and three days latter it came out looking like Folgers coffee grounds. They never got an x-ray of it so I don't know if it broke up or not and due to a screw up at the hospital they didn't test the stones. But I took a wild guess and quit drinking any soda and only water for a long time. The doctor said I was very young to be having kidney stones and that usually means I could be looking at a recurring problem. But about twenty years later and I have yet to have another. I do allow myself a caffeine drink from time to time. Everything in moderation.

14. scwine

scwine ^%(#@$^!!!!!!!

Damn!!! It hurts just reading yalls experiences. I hope the heck I never get one. :shocked:

15. RenoF250

RenoF250

In some cases that can be true in other cases they are NOT avoidable. My wife has had chronic stones for about 15 years now. Had surgery on the parathyroid to stop it but she still seems to be making them. Some people are just stone producers.

Most stones are calcium oxalate so reducing oxalate intake is supposed to help. Lots of fluid helps. I personally advocate 32 ounces of water followed by a beer, repeat. No proven studies to back that up.

Lithotripsy does not work on small stones so they won't even do it. They can go up from the bottom and shoot them with a laser or just grab them. They usually leave a stint in after any procedure. That does not push the stones up but helps hold the ureter open so the stones can pass. For my wife it also seems to breed an infection every time and she said they are very painful to take out.

There is also a percutanious method where they go in through your back. This has only been mentioned by the Mayo Clinic, none of the other doctors have suggested it.

16. zeke501

zeke501

My urologist told me the best thing I can do is quit drinking "brewed tea"!! Instant is ok. I drank a lot of sweet tea,so I just quit brewed tea. Drink cranberry juice and water.

17. 22GlockTx

22GlockTx

You just dont know what your missing.

Im currently dealing with kidney stones. It started Sunday, with some "back pain". Monday, My side was hurting pretty bad, but I just chalked it up to sleeping wrong the night before. Tuesday, I left work early. I couldn't deal with the pain and went home and slept. Tuesday night about 8pm, It started to dig in. It felt like someone was trying to cut open my body with a dull knife. I was in agony. I finally decided to go to the emergency room. After all I already knew the routine as this wasnt my first kidney stone. I knew they would do a scan, and give me some meds and send me home. Well, to upset my applecart, they made me sit in the emergency waiting room for 3 hours, in agony might I add. Finally I got to go back and they did the cat scan. It is now about 1 am, my wife is pissed cause she has to go to work in the morning and is missing her sleep since I couldnt drive myself since I was in so much pain. They came back and said that the cat scan revealed no stones. My urine had no blood in it. The doctor said it was just back pain. Back Pain? BACK PAIN? In my SIDE? ARE YOU ********** KIDDING ME?

I was pissed, they gave me some ivs, and some pain medicine and some antibiotics and sent me on my way. Well at least I got some hydrocodone... So far I have passed one stone. Theres another one getting ready to pass. I am in pain. I will never have an enemy that I hate so much to wish to pass a kidney stone to.

18. KIMFAB

KIMFAB Kangaroo tooth

I have had a couple of these little jewels and they HURT.
    Now when I feel them coming usually a lot of cranberry juice and meadowsweet from your local health food store takes care of it.

19. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I have had some nasty ones. One even resulted in an emergency surgery and a stint for two months. Not fun because they violate you in the worse way imaginable.

I wish your friend a lot of luck!

20. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Lithotripter..

Is this what you mean by Ultrasound?

If she can't do this, then what does her Dr. recommend, besides just trying to piss them away??