A Glock 26 (Carry with or without a round chambered? )

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by JokerOne, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JokerOne

JokerOne

I'm sure this question has been beat to death here, and please feel free to link to anything that you believe will help.

Just took and passed my CCW class.
    I was asked during the class if I planned on carrying with or with a round chambered and the instructor said it was a personal preference.

My background is, I was in the Marine reserves years ago. 0311. In the field on patrol we would keep a round in the chamber. On the range the only time we would chamber is when we were ready to fire with the weapon pointed down range. I'm conformable with that.

I have been studying Martial arts since 1982. Not as flexible and quick as I use to be, but I believe my first instinct would be that over drawing and shooting if attacked with a knife. This would be just out of habit/instinct. I might not even remember I have a loaded gun on me until it was all over.

During our drawing and dry firing at the class. I believe I was always one of the first to be able to pull the trigger after racking the slide and aiming. The rest of the class were practicing as if a round was already chambered.

I'm rarely in a situation that I would feel unsafe during my daily activities.

So my question is this, given my background am I a naive idiot to carry without a round in the chamber?

thanks in advance.

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Carry at what ever level you are comfortable with.

BUT...

You will be better served in the long run getting comfortable and practicing with a round chambered.

Lots of real world videos of guys getting shot racking the slide, I'm sure someone will post one.

janice6, Glockgeezer, Eagle02 and 4 others like this.

3. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Carry how you are/were trained and with what you are comfortable/confident.

I too was in the USMC and was taught C3 or un-chambered carry since it was the Cold War era...have been practicing and teaching this method for almost 40 yrs. When I work in uniform for the Sheriff, I carry with a round in the chamber...when as a civilian and concealed, it is C3 Israeli....

You will get more replies to this question than you will have ever wanted. Some will be cogent and respectful. Others standard stuff which is comical at best and plain asinine at worst.

If you are serious just PM me and I will send you a booklet that I wrote on the subject.

At the very least you should be proficient in C3 and know how to draw-cock-shoot, even if you plan on carrying C1. Just my opinion and I have taught hundreds this same method.

4. rotorwind

rotorwind

I'd suggest carrying with one in the chamber. You may not get a chance to rack the slide.

5. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

I wouldn't say lots but there are some...more the other way around from what I can recall.

travg17 likes this.
  6. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

You are right that has been beaten to death. A substantial majority favor carrying one in the chamber, but there are a few who insist on an empty chamber. People who argue that a firearm without a round in a chamber is useless, or might as well be left at home, are engaging in hyperbole.

I have carried a Glock 26 for several years, with a round chambered. Never a problem.

Consider a couple of things: First, if you are that fast at chambering a round and firing, how fast will you be firing without having to chamber a round? Working the slide has to cost you something in time. Second, are you certain that you will always have two hands free? Sure, you can toss aside a bag of groceries, but what about a baby? Do you walk a dog with a leash around your wrist? What will you do if you have an injured arm, either before or during a fight?

You should never do something that you think is unsafe, but my advice would be to work towards trusting your pistol and your own procedures with a chambered round.

Genesis, toro, SGT67 and 3 others like this.
  7. JokerOne

JokerOne

C3 Israeli.... Never heard that term before but I believe it would mean you Carry just like an Israeli at the beach with his family, towel, sun tan oil and Uzi at the ready. :D

Not to hijack my own thread but
    I haven't studied the situation as a civilian, but I know more gun owners get killed by burglars than non gun owners and I was told by the Chief of Police years ago that this was because you hear a noise downstairs of breaking glass. The non gun owner hides in a shadow in the bedroom and calls the police, the gun owner grabs the gun, walks to the top of the stairs and turns the light on, only to see the burglar at the bottom of the stairs and gets shot.
    As a good hunter I would I would hide in the shadow with my gun. :D

Granted I would like to think I would have the ability use of both hands, on a nice afternoon, clear sky, 74 degrees F, etc. But doubt any of that would be true. I would also be aware that if for some reason someone reached into my holster and grabbed my gun, I would have the knowledge that I could stomp their guts out while they are trying to pull the trigger with no results.

thanks.

8. JokerOne

JokerOne

thanks!

9. JokerOne

JokerOne

thanks.

10. JokerOne

JokerOne

Very good points, and all valid. I don't believe that having a round in the chamber is unsafe, but less safe, but then again I could be way off.

11. Mayonator

Mayonator

I think most of us carry with one in the tube. You need a decent holster in order to do that safely. Drawing and holstering the weapon are your risk points. Practice with an unloaded pistol until you feel comfortable doing so, otherwise, don't. If I'm not carrying, I generally don't have a round chambered but I treat it as if I do.

12. Decutor

Decutor

We have a big long thread about this in the stickies. Please go read that first, if you haven't already. There are lots of great points of discussion in it and I can't see anything here that wasn't covered there already.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/topics-discussed-frequently-gt-rules-read-here-first.1395779/

*came back to add the link, realized there are actually 14 or so threads about it. FROM BOTH SIDES!**'

I will say that your background and attitude towards carry sounds a lot like mine did when I first started. AND the G26 was my first carry pistol.

Be sure to train with it a lot and incorporate it into your self-defense plan beyond just carrying it. You need to adapt your mindset to blend your martial arts, military mindset and defensive pistol together. Only you can do that, and only through dogged, determined effort.

I did, by the way, switch to C1 after about six months of carrying. Never looked back.

You're not trying to plug your class are you?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  13. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Do what you're comfortable with and, to enter the world of cliches: Plan for the worst (not being able to rack the slide) and hope for the best - AND - gun withOUT a round in the chamber is a paperweight.

G19G26 likes this.
  14. Mister X

Mister X

Massad Ayoob has often recommended that if you are not comfortable carrying with a round chambered, perhaps consider switching to a revolver because in the context of civilian self-defense, if you need a gun, you often need it right now and there may not be time to rack the slide.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Glockgeezer, tic-tok-GLOCK and G19G26 like this.
  15. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

It hasn't been said yet... A empty gun us nothing more than a fancy paperweight.

16. BC-2

BC-2

Carrying a firearm in the military vs civilian life is very different. In the armed forces, you typically know well in advance if you're entering an area where you need to be ready to shoot. Not so in civilian life where threats are almost always revealed by surprise and very close quarters. I've seen (video) a lot of real world gun fights and they are almost always this way and it is very common for the defender to be using one hand/arm to defend themselves before they are able to draw and fire. The likely hood of any of us needing to use our weapon is slim. But if we do, the likely hood that we won't have both hands nor the time to rack the slide (no matter how fast you think you are at it) is high. I carry one in the pipe for this reason.

Genesis and Mister X like this.
  17. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Round in the chamber. Carrying with an empty chamber is not a method. It's just silly.

18. TheLionsFan

TheLionsFan

One in the chamber, definitely. I dont know just how I would react in a stressful situation, so having to rack one in might result in me leaving in a bodybag. Having one in the chamber means I am ready to go. Like mentioned above, most SD situations happen with a surprise and happen fast. In my CPL class, they mentioned the Rule of 3 quite often. Meaning most self defense situations happen in 3 seconds, 3 yards away, and 3 bullets. At 3 seconds and 3 yards, you aint got time to be playing around. Just my opinion.

Like mentioned though, you gotta be comfortable, and make sure you have a good holster and practice drawing and reholstering.

Genesis and tic-tok-GLOCK like this.
  19. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm pretty much in the school of thought that if you plan to use a gun for protection and carry, it should be ready to fire with a round chambered. If the trigger system or safety in that condition makes you feel unsafe, find a different weapon that works for you, like DA/SA, Cond1 or a revolver...whatever toots your horn....but have it chambered.

Mister X and Lockback like this.
  20. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Yeah, I think this is good advice.
    If you're going to make the commitment to carry a gun, you need to have it ready to go ... meaning a round in the chamber. There are different methods of getting there, as you enumerated. Otherwise, I'd advise just leaving it at home.

krankase likes this.