Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been putting together various prep type bags over the past year, mainly in concerns over the civil unrest we see these days in the big cities. The easy answer is stay the F away from the hot spots and you won't need to worry much if at all about a GHB. I can't. Job takes me to any number of major east coast population centers, so I like to have stuff with me, the basics, food/water/protective clothing/tools/p protection/gear/FAK. I have slowly getting stuff further organized and have added a Baofeng 82 radio that I'm working towards learning to better use (licensing, channels to monitor etc).

Here is kind where I'm getting hung up. The bag. I have one that is a long haul Condor 72hr Assault bag,(Great to have, but cumbersome and over sized for a short EDC carry to work scenario) I have one that could be considered a EDC carry bag, but it has it's space limitations, plenty of stuff would need to be eliminated to carry it. It sort of looks like a man purse, leather, one strap over the shoulder deal, it easily conceals any handgun I own but the stuff I probably should be carrying would be more useful than just my (gun, knife, streaming pepper spray, collapsible baton). That bag would be good for short local trips, but not so much on the longer multi days I do where getting home really might be a challenge.

I have a leather soft side brief case bag that was designed to be a lap top carrier plus a brief case, that is not in use, probably 3 times the size of the man purse. Could fit plenty of stuff inside of it. The 2 big down sides on both of the bags I mention is leather, (Condor is nylon)which if it gets wet is heavy and both are not compartmentalized to keep things organized. I'm sure Condor has something that is right sized that will work. By the way I like Condor stuff, just trying to avoid the full on tactical look that a nylon pack brings to the table these days. In another forum, one individual who lives in a large city was complaining about getting stopped and frisked at a subway platform because he was carrying a nylon pack that had all his prep gear in it. The guy was in his 60's with white hair, I don't think he had anything illegal in his bag but he got searched and the contents of his bag got laid out on the floor as the Police got more inquisitive. Had it been me, my knife, pepper spray and baton might have earned me a trip to booking. Most likely my bag would not be making an appearance until it is absolutely needed. But right now my prep stuff has been sitting home as I ponder the right bag. It is almost going to have to be a small pack when I consider everything I want to have with me.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm....ran across something I had thought about in a bag but did not think existed. Brand is Propper, bag is the OTS XL. Initially was thinking about a small pack that I use for transporting gear for work. It has the ability to use a bladder in the back of it(looks like 1.5 liter), but in looking at that set up, the Propper has a cinch pouch on the side to fit a water bottle. Also has a space for holstering a gun, plenty of organization compartments and it rides nice and has a hip strap to pull it in tight if moving quickly so it does not flop around. Size is 20.5"X12"X7.5". I'm thinking I can get all I want into that for an extended EDC bag.

Down side is $100, about double what I was thinking to pay for a bag at first.

· Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,971 Posts
Hmmm....ran across something I had thought about in a bag but did not think existed. Brand is Propper, bag is the OTS XL. Initially was thinking about a small pack that I use for transporting gear for work. It has the ability to use a bladder in the back of it(looks like 1.5 liter), but in looking at that set up, the Propper has a cinch pouch on the side to fit a water bottle. Also has a space for holstering a gun, plenty of organization compartments and it rides nice and has a hip strap to pull it in tight if moving quickly so it does not flop around. Size is 20.5"X12"X7.5". I'm thinking I can get all I want into that for an extended EDC bag.

Down side is $100, about double what I was thinking to pay for a bag at first.
Okay I understand the direction your heading. It's a nice bag, but like you said the downside is the price tag. Here's the deal, I have several Maxpedition products. They're well made, but the price tag is high. You can go on Ebay/Aliexpress and find clones of most any bag all day long for about a fourth of the price.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Every-Day-C...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item540c0b4594

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Nylon-M...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43de5be71d

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/bran...army-fan-saddle-outside-sprot/1755107388.html

Those links can direct you towards something that works for you at a fourth of the price (or better). I've purchased several clones and I've said in the past, if Maxpedition is a 10 a lot of these bags are 9's.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I understand the direction your heading. It's a nice bag, but like you said the downside is the price tag. Here's the deal, I have several Maxpedition products. They're well made, but the price tag is high. You can go on Ebay/Aliexpress and find clones of most any bag all day long for about a fourth of the price.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Every-Day-C...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item540c0b4594

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Nylon-M...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43de5be71d

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/bran...army-fan-saddle-outside-sprot/1755107388.html

Those links can direct you towards something that works for you at a fourth of the price (or better). I've purchased several clones and I've said in the past, if Maxpedition is a 10 a lot of these bags are 9's.
I'm a little leary of ebay and knock offs. I checked a few of the links you provided, one looked interesting except all the description was in Chinese character, so I could not tell what they were really describing. I'll check around on line a bit further, I knew the Maxpedition was expensive stuff, I thought Propper was kinda in line with Truspec. I do have some points built up on the CC card to defray the cost I might have to use.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
I recommend Camelback based on my experience with their product and customer service. I got one of their BFM backpacks in 2002. It deployed with me to Korea and Iraq and is still my go to bag for short trips and computer stuff close to the house.

I broke the chest strap buckle and called them to see about getting another one. They sent me a buckle in 2 colors, a spare bladder, and two tubes of flavor tablets to mix with my water...for free. That's customer service. Their stuff isn't cheap, but it is quality, and they obviously back it up.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it you are just throwing out some sarcasm which by the way does not translate very well on the internet.

I took a look on the Camelbak sight, did not have anything that really caught my eye. One feature I am looking for that I like with the over the shoulder systems is that the bag is accessable without having to remove it and probably lay it on something (ground or table) to open and locate item you want, that is always a possibility.

The reason I sort of balked at the $100 price on the bag(Propper OTS XL) was I think I got my Condor 72hr pack for <$80. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order one today, it's Amazon so no worries about returning it if it is a total fail in my estimation.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done deal, ordered. I just need to get the Utah non resident permit, I can then stow the CZ in the pocket provided and not worry about if I am legal in my travels. Except when I go east to NYNJDCMD. Even at that I might say screw it.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
Honestly, for a simply get-home bag (NOT a "bugout bag " that you will be living out of indefintiely, but rather a smaller 72 -96 ish hour on the go travel bag designed to carry useful items to help you stya mobile and safe as you take a very long walk) a good quality day pack would work just fine; Most of the good Jansports and Eastpaks have a waist belt and padded straps, a padded back, at least two pockets for cargo, enough size hold your gear without being too big or heavy, but are compact enough to carry easily.....

http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/all-backpacks/big-student-tdn7?variationId=6XD

http://www.eastpak.com/eu-en/backpacks/bestsellers-c7117/out-of-office-black-pEK767008+00+999.html

No, they aren't cool and "tatical" with lots of Molles and velcro patches, but they are reasoanbly priced, practical, and perfectly usefull for the task at hand;

In addition to the bag, think very hard about also having a set of "get home " clothes packed in the vehicle as well- something in a comfortable, sturdy pair of cargo pants (the all cotton Wranlger cargoes are great) some type of light jacket (think micro fleece) , a good belt, fresh socks, a pair of snug mechanic's type gloves to protect your hands, and a good pair of broken in walking shoes of some sort...this will make your life a lot easier if you end up getting straded and having to make the trek in business clothes and slick dress shoes...

· Registered
1,684 Posts
Done deal, ordered. I just need to get the Utah non resident permit, I can then stow the CZ in the pocket provided and not worry about if I am legal in my travels. Except when I go east to NYNJDCMD. Even at that I might say screw it.
I hope it works for you. I've not been impressed with the Condor line but maybe they've improved. There are some things you just have to spend money on to get quality.

· Millenium #3936
6,686 Posts
Condor makes some decent secondary pouches that can go into your bag but I wouldnt use a condor bag as a primary item. I like their pocket buddies, first aid and admin pouches but thats about it. If you want a cheaper bag..get a 5.11 messenger bag or something of similar quality. I have a black messenger bag and love it

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought Propper, not Condor. My 72hr bag I bought last summer is Condor.

For a few of you guys late to the thread, like I tell everyone, everyone's situation is unique. Mine is I drive commercial charter bus, so I'm on the road all the time. I pretty much have the all the gear I need, I'm at the point of selecting from what I have as which is a better option to carry. Just need to make some final selections and I should be golden. I have a Jansport smaller pack that I currently use to store my pistols in and lock away when away from home, but then I also have a range bag for that. The part about the Propper I like is the over the shoulder and accessability to items without having to remove the pack. When I consider my intention of use it mainly would work like this; Let's say my trip calls for a 3 day into Wash DC and I'll be in a hotel out in Chantilly VA overnight X2, something happens while I'm DT and I can not get out for a while or something happens while I'm out and can't get back in. I want that bag with me to handle anything that I might need to help me extricate myself out. Whether it be food, water, FAK, whatever. I want it with me while working, I want it with me inside the hotel room, and if I have to hoof it anywhere (last resort, giving up $400K vehicle) then it needs to be comfortable to carry.

Good example of what already did happen was, was in the Shenandoah area of Virginia with a group of Amish. A tremendous sustained windstorm struck the area and took out power for miles around. I did not have anything with me, restaurants were closed, stores closed, so no food available. Fortunately it was a short term situation. Another situation, Indianapolis a few years ago, tornadoes ravaged an area very close to the city, did not effect me but the warnings and all were up all afternoon. I was there during that time on a 3 day trip. Most of the time I will be effected by weather that interrupts my trip. Got caught in a "storm of the century" spring sleet to ice to feet of snow to sub zero temps in Kentucky about 4 years ago. Same deal, everything closed, we kept driving until we found a hotel that had enough rooms. Could have very well spent the night in the bus. I'm finally taking all these situations serious enough to be prepared to have supplies on hand to endure. So far I have been able to drive out of the situation, my luck is bound to run out.

· Registered
910 Posts
I decided to go with a backpack that blends in. I don't see any advantage to get something tactical that draws attention. Also, it's probably just going to sit in your car and not get used for a long, long time so it doesn't have to be top of the line.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided to go with a backpack that blends in. I don't see any advantage to get something tactical that draws attention. Also, it's probably just going to sit in your car and not get used for a long, long time so it doesn't have to be top of the line.
YOURS might sit in the car, mine is going on my trips, I do about 11 a month. Because it has the over the shoulder capability, this makes it real easy to carry from vehicle to bus to hotel and back, hands free. Something else I forgot about. Last year one of my coworkers was robbed at gunpoint in a hotel lobby. I do have the streaming pepper spray if I am out of state and a CC permit is the issue. Bag came today, have not had a chance to really look it over closely or test fit a few items yet.

It does not look as tactical as a back pack does. Sort of a non descript messenger bag, it does not seem to stick out due to darker olive color. I did place a few items inside it and walked about the house. Rides really nice, lots of pockets. My big personal challenge is to NOT overfill with a bunch of redundant items but cover the basics. It seems to be slightly smaller than I thought it was going to be, just want to avoid the overload.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
While I like the messenger style bags, and own a couple of Maxpedition examples, I wouldn't recommend them for a BOB.

There's nothing out there, so far, that beats a backpack for being able to carry a lot of weight a long way without hurting yourself. A messenger bag won't do it. You'd be hurting in less than 5 miles with a 20lb messenger bag simply because the weight can't be distributed.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I like the messenger style bags, and own a couple of Maxpedition examples, I wouldn't recommend them for a BOB.

There's nothing out there, so far, that beats a backpack for being able to carry a lot of weight a long way without hurting yourself. A messenger bag won't do it. You'd be hurting in less than 5 miles with a 20lb messenger bag simply because the weight can't be distributed.
Not the intent for this bag, this bag is intended to be a short term use that I can have the EDC items + some additional over and above EDC. Let's call it an EDC expanded version. When I'm working, I can either leave it in my bus or bring it to the hotel which I plan to do. The food option will be a more expanded menu, the water option better covered, tools better covered, clothes better covered, protection and FAK better covered. I got the 72 hr deal covered.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
Not the intent for this bag, this bag is intended to be a short term use that I can have the EDC items + some additional over and above EDC. Let's call it an EDC expanded version. When I'm working, I can either leave it in my bus or bring it to the hotel which I plan to do. The food option will be a more expanded menu, the water option better covered, tools better covered, clothes better covered, protection and FAK better covered. I got the 72 hr deal covered.
It will work great for that. I assumed, my first mistake :supergrin:, based on your previous posts that you were looking for a bag that had the potential to get you back home from your out of state trips. Can't beat a backpack for traveling by shank's mare.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.