A Fool and His Money...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SGT HATRED, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Just a short rant/observation. I ran a few errands this morning and couldn't help but feel like I was being bombarded with people asking for money. 2 cashiers 1 group outside a grocery store and even the GD teller at my bank asked me for a donation... Not sure if it's just me but when i go to my bank to cash a check i find it highly inappropriate/unprofessional for them to ask for money...

nursetim and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Once I gave this woman thing $10 to help with gas.......I know it was a lie.......Then she had the nerve to ask me for money to get something to eat!

:shakehead:

3. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

My standard answer is " I choose 2 charities every year to support and this isn't one of them"

Pierre! and Valmet like this.
  4. peng

peng

Trying to separate folks from their money is an ongoing industry, and has been since money was invented as our currency of choice. Snake oil and nonsense have a peculiar power that I have never been able to understand. The only thing I know is, if you give other people your money, then you no longer have it - and not having it sucks.

5. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

And every five minutes on TV asking for $19 for every cause under the world. The thing is a charity is a good business. You set it up, start a meme and watch the money roll in. Then you give ten percent of it to the charity and the rest goes into "overhead" which is the guy that runs it's pocket. They're great scams.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  6. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Uh, Sgt Hatred?

You still owe me 20 bucks.
    With interest compounding every nanosecond, you now owe me a bazillion dollars. :miff:
    And I am going to charge you a 50 dollar service fee.

:tongueout:

SGT HATRED likes this.
  7. plp

plp

Only at Petsmart. The ASPCA does good work and I'm glad to throw a couple bucks their way.

Everyone else can bite me.

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Seems they have all the money in the first place, too. LOL

9. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

I avoid that by going and getting a latte at the gas pump. If I am not there, they can't bother me for money.

silentpoet likes this.
  10. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

You know they are anti gun and give money to anti gun causes?

silentpoet and 72Cheyenne like this.
  11. nursetim

nursetim

I had some dude put the bite on me for ten bucks in gas, used $5 and used $5 for junk food. Meh, it didn't hurt me. I borrowed a page from CF and didn't raise a fuss how he used the tanner. I had prepaid his gas for ten. The clerk tells me he wanted $5 in cash, ok, give it to him. If it was a scam, well, I got used so what.

Yeah, I'd get bent out of the frame if my bank put the bite on me for a donation. I'm minorly miffed when the grocery store puts the bite on me as well. Easy enough to say no.

12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe CLM

I don't like that either. A cashier's job is to ring up my purchase, not try to guilt me into giving away more money.

This one gives me a chuckle when they do it, because I volunteer there for the local SPCA. Most of the time I'm buying something, it's treats for the kitties in the adoption center.

72Cheyenne, deputy tom and G19Tony like this.
  13. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe CLM

One time, while I was taking chemo for cancer, I was asked, "Would you like to donate to breast cancer awareness?". My response was, "Trust me, I couldn't possibly be more aware of breast cancer than I already am!".

silentpoet and nursetim like this.
  14. 308M1A

308M1A

No, they don't actually. Horrendously high overhead, exorbitant ad load and a lot of pc crap.

If you want to do real good for animals, grab some cat and dog food and make an in-kind contribution to your local shelter. They'll even give you a receipt for your taxes.

While you're there, stop in to pet some of the immates. Even if you dont plan on adopting, it helps them to be socialized and experience kind humans and have a less stressful life till they are adopted.

I stop by every few weeks to pet a few cats. Maybe help the staff fill some food bowls.

Better your help be direct then worry about some bureaucrat squandering your money on office supplies. Put your aid directly to work.

Resqu2, deputy tom and SGT HATRED like this.
  15. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My newspaper carrier left a note on my paper saying it was his last day throwing my paper and he was happy serving me. I called him and told him to come by. I tipped him $50.

KBKEITH and TX OMFS like this.
  16. JMS

JMS 02

"No thank you."

17. btefft

btefft U S Veteran

I once had a guy ask for money for food. I pulled through a Wendy's drive-thru and bought him a burger. When I went back to where he had been, he was gone - I ate the burger.

18. winglock

winglock

I went through the drive through at Culvers (fast food burgers) and they were asking for donations for FFA. I got my food and told the mgr. I didn't think they should be asking for donations for an organization that can do that themselves and reminded them they were there to serve food.

nursetim likes this.
  19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Wtf do you live, Pleasantville???

Haven't seen a real paper delivery person in well over a decade. And we still have 2 dairies that make daily home deliveries in my AO.

Back when I worked in Boston there was a homeless guy that would hold the door at Dunkins. I never gave him any dough. But about once a week, he'd hold the door and ask me, "Can you get me a small Regular and a plain donut?" I was happy to oblige.

deputy tom likes this.
  20. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

I'd much rather give a few bucks to a homeless person even if it's for booze than to some organization i know nothing about.

Once a man approached me in a walmart parking lot begging. Just by his looks i could tell he was down and out. I felt bad that I didn't have any cash on me so i gathered all the change out of my car. I physically had to put it in his pocket because he had no arms...

I still wonder how he got it out.

scout1 likes this.