a few Glock ?'s from newcomer...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by chief_017, Apr 6, 2005.

1. chief_017

chief_017

ive been searchin around on here and cant really find what im lookin for, so here it is. im gonna be turnin 21 in a few months and plan on buyin myself a pistol, and have decided that i want a Glock 10mm. Ill be usin it mainly for ccw, but it will be on my hip when i go bear hunting. so what i cant decide on is which model 20, 20c or 29. so heres my questions...

1) i thought about the 20c b/c of the reduced recoil (recoil doenst bother me, im just thinkin about faster target aquisition), but i read that this is a bad choice for ccw if you have to shoot at night b/c of the fire spittin out. anybody have any experience w/ this? and is it a problem?

2)im thinking about the 29 for is compact size and ease of concealment as opposed to the larger 20/20c. however, im gonna be shooting powerful ammo, either doubletap or handloads, and am wonderin about the small size of it. ive shot small pistols before similar to the 29 and it felt like it was gonna fly outta my hand, but it wasnt a glock or a 10mm. so how does a 29 "handle" when your shooting it?

i know that i wont make my final choice until i can actually handle and maybe even shoot all of em. im just lookin for input/opinions from experienced ppl such as yourselves. ideally id just buy em all, but im a broke college kid, so only 1 is in the budget. thanks for all the help fellas, its much appreciated!

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

You will get both.
    Pick one to start.
    CCW=G29.

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Chief,

Just like G33 said, I have both and you will too! ^c

"Fire spittin out" ;f Not any worse than guns like a .40. Yes, there's muzzle flash - but there's always muzzle flash on a gun. Somebody was just jerking your chain on this being a big 10mm issue. I've done plenty of night shooting with my 10mms and it's not a big deal (at least not different than any other pistol).

I know what you mean about shooting powerful guns and them feeling like they're jumping out of your had - but I don't have that with the G29 and the "pinky extension" on the magazine. It also helps that the G29 has a pretty thick grip, so there's plenty of gun to hang on to.

kestrou

4. Akita

Akita gone

G33 is right(do you see a trend here?). And I agree with kestrou to get the CCW pistol first(wow, dont we all get along here in the 10Ring?).

As to your other questions, I would avoid the compensated model for the reason you state. Why compromise your vision anymore than is absolutely necessary when fighting for your life.
    Get the Pearce(NOT Shearer)fingertip extension for your G29 mags and the G29 will be very controlable and not at all prone to jumping out of your hand.

And get Tritium night sights. Worth their weight in platinum if you ever need them.

5. chief_017

chief_017

you guys are right, i was thinkin in the back of my head that im gonna end up gettin both, i just cant decide on which one first. keep the info comin fellas!

6. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

OK.
    Get the G29 first.
    Get some 15-round G20 mags.
    Get the AG grip adaptor (used to fill out the G20 mags in a G29).
    Get Pearce base plate for some G29 mags (as above).

Now you will have three different feels to your G29 grip!!
    And you are ready for the G20--Ta DA!!;f

7. chief_017

chief_017

you my friend are an absolute GENIUS! i didnt even know any of that was possible. i think you just sold me on a 29. thanks a ton! i love this forum..

now where would i find these grip adapters?

8. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Now don't go getting G33's head swelled any more than it already is! ;f Besides, she knows we kinda like her already! ^c

Here's one source (that google pulled up first): http://www.theglockguy.com/gripex.html but I think most of the online vendors (Lone Wolf, Glockmeister, etc.) have them. For $10 or so, they can't be beat.

kestrou