A Favorite Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Oct 24, 2018.

1. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

E87223A0-DC89-406B-9EA6-053815716F3E.jpeg The Portuguese Semogue 1305.

A legendary boar brush at a bargain price at around $15 from Amazon.

I just ordered two more to have as spares. Will give one to my grandson.

This is the one I have owned for about 8 to 9 years.

It is in perfect bloom, and an excellent brush for the money. I really like it; especially as I am a Simpson Best Badger man.

I have seen several YouTube videos about these brushes, but they look scraggly compared to mine.

Perhaps because I took really good care of mine and used it over the years.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Steve T.

Steve T.

Edwin Jagger Super Badger. What are those two razors in the pic?

AddAGlock and Wishoot like this.

3. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

The two razors are a British Ever-Ready Streamline and a GEM Model 1912 Damaskeene.

I use Ted Pella PTFE-coated stainless steel single edged blades exclusively.

The British razor is the one on the bottom, next to the brush. The British razor is heavy and thickly chromium plated. Hard to come by and a pleasure to use.

The USA-manufactured GEM Jewell is the closest equivalent to the British Streamline.

Both are superb razors.

Perhaps a matter of opinion, but the British Ever-Ready Streamline is generally considered to be the finest single-edged, GEM-type razor ever made.

I am fortunate to own and use one.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Wishoot likes this.
  4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I've always heard the the badger is the best - so I bought one. It feels soft when dry. But "floppy" when wet.

I went back to my Omega Boar brush, that is well "broken in". The tips are soft, but has a good "stiffness" even when wet. It was about 20% of the price of the badger brush, and has held up for at least 5 years.

Wishoot likes this.
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Old Spice. When they quit making them I bought several. Gave some to my sons. Only have a couple left.

porschedog likes this.
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

I think my shaving brush is made from platypus hair.

porschedog and OGW like this.
  7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

8. tuica

tuica

I float a glob of shaving cream in a large bowl of microwaved really hot water. That certainly cuts down on the waiting for the really hot water to come up from our old water heater. Then I scoop it out and apply with my bare hands. I did try an electric shaver once. Just something about the old hot cream and manual shaver ritual that I find appealing.

9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have three brushes I really like, Simpson Chubby 2 Best, Plisson HMW and a Rooney Finest. They all have a different feel and I like them all for different reasons...

I never liked boar bristle brushes....but that's just me.

Wishoot likes this.
  10. ron b

ron b

Thanks for posting this. My brush just started shedding hairs. I just ordered one from Amazon.

You mentioned taking care of yours. I usually rinse mine until the soap is out, give it several shakes, then sit it on its base to dry. Am I doing it wrong?

11. Brisman33

Brisman33

Yes, buy a stand which lets it hang with the bristles pointing downwards so the water drains away.

jame and teeuu like this.
  12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

My fingers. Lather up hands with a bar of soap. Apply this lather to unwanted facial hair.

Shave.

13. VA27

VA27

7E9FCDEC-3D80-4CA6-A1D9-EBC653BF2BDB.jpeg Dad gave me this one before I left for A school in February, 1967.

TBO and Wishoot like this.
  14. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

Can't they make a good synthetic brush for way less than the badger brush costs? Dug out my shaving mug and 2 brushes today. I believe they are boar hair. Shaved with one of them and it made may face smell bad. Determined it was the brush. Both brushes smelled horrible. They are now in the trash. Will check on Amazon later tonight when I have time.

15. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I've been using a 1964 Gillette superspeed for around a decade, but I use cremo shaving cream. I've never tried a brush. Am I really missing out?

16. Dave514

Dave514

I haven't known anyone that has mentioned using a shave brush in the last 40 years.

17. Kentak

Kentak

You're a traditionalist, I get that. But, your grandson will likely just appreciate it as a keepsake, not something he would actually use. Nice sentiment, though.

OV1kenobi likes this.
  18. screwman

screwman

I used to use one. Now I get outta the shower, grab a Walmart disposable and scrape my face off. Not quite dry shaving but close. Those silicon ones really make the job easier.

19. Wishoot

Wishoot

I've tried a bunch of different badger brushes, but always come back to my inexpensive Omega boar. Mine is about 12 years old.

Not a fan of synthetics at all.

Usually load a Feather blade in one of my many (too many according to my wife) razors, load up the brush with one of my many soaps or creams (again, too many according to my wife) and scrape away.

Lately, I've been on a Merkur 38C / Feather blade / AOS Sandalwood streak. Normally, I favor Proraso soaps and creams though.

IMO, yes. Using a brush will always produce better lather. BUT, NOT with Cremo. It's probably the best option without the use of a brush. Cremo with a brush is an invitation to a goopy mess.

Upgrayedd likes this.
  20. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Then you've missed the numerous shaving threads we've had here the last five or so years. I've got three shaving brushes. An Ever-Ready F40 that I bought about 1978 when I first started shaving. A badger hair brush from The Art of Shaving. And one that my estranged wife bought for me off of Etsy. In order of preference they are the Etsy brush, the F40, then the badger. I use them each with a different shaving soap, just because I can.

TBO and Wishoot like this.