A Family in Public Housing Makes $498,000 HUD Wants Them to Stay

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Flying-Dutchman, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

"A family of four in New York City makes $497,911 a year but pays $1,574 a month to live in public housing in a three-bedroom apartment subsidized by taxpayers.

In Los Angeles, a family of five that’s lived in public housing since 1974 made $204,784 last year but paid $1,091 for a four-bedroom apartment. And a tenant with assets worth $1.6 million — including stocks, real estate and retirement accounts — last year paid $300 for a one-bedroom apartment in public housing in Oxford, Neb."

Government gone wild...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-...=iehp-wants-them-to-stay/ar-BBlOM1x?ocid=iehp

2. nursetim

nursetim

I think these are outliers and not a widespread pattern of abuse.

XDRoX and hooligan74 like this.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

The examples sighted are definitely outliers, but abuse (at arguably less eye popping levels) of public housing is very widespread.

A specific example I might offer is an acquaintance I have who is a Chinese immigrant. He came here about 16 years ago, flat broke and barely able to speak the language. He has prospered and bought his first house here about 5 years ago. After he got his house, he fixed it up and created a few rooms out of his garage. He subsequently got his parents and in-laws over from China. A while back I asked him how living with all the parents was going. He said, "oh, they moved out, I am renting those rooms out now." I said, "where did your parents and in-laws move?". He replied, "Section 8 housing, great news!" His parents have no interest in becoming citizens and while working occasionally at odd jobs for spending money, definitely are not going to be additive to the economy here.

Some would call the foregoing abuse, others of a different political viewpoint, may not.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

With that income, they're buying their own subsidy with tax payments, and then some.

Which begs a bigger question: if the government is going to provide taxpayer subsidized housing, why should that handout be limited to a certain class of people? For that matter, why should the people who actually pay the taxes be excluded from the benefit they pay for?

5. racerford

racerford

Interesting, based on my experience with sponsoring someone for a visa (finance visa, and yes we got married and are still married) I had to sign a financial responsibility document that said, I was financially responsible for her, and if she got government benefits, the cost of those benefits could be recovered from me.

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I don't know specifically if he had to sign those financial responsibility documents or not for his parents. I know for a fact (we had discussed it) he has done it for others, I assume in those cases he was pretty sure it would not be coming back to him. I think there is a great deal that "falls through the cracks" when it comes to government rules, and programs. I consider the "falling through the cracks" abuse, others may see it as just "working the system."

Specific to marriage as a way to immigration status, I don't know what the percentages are, but I know of a few who immigrated from China by paying a US citizen here to marry them, immigrating and then getting divorced. Some couples who both did this move, never living apart (or with their legal husband/wife) after arriving here. I don't know what it costs for such "services", but I have heard second hand, it is quite expensive. If I know of a few, my assumption is it is (or has been) pretty common, at least here in SF.

7. JamesPeter

JamesPeter

No, its abuse. Outlier or not, the individuals involved are committing fraud.

8. nursetim

nursetim

No argument. And they need free housing, meals, and medical care for a several years. But stories like these a few and far between.

9. happyj

happyj

how is it fraud if
    bumber link does not work. right now.

10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman