close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A&E Hoarders

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BigChuck73, Jan 10, 2010.

1. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

Anybody watch this show?

It's like a great car wreck I have to keep watching :)

I could leave this apartment in 15 mins- 4 if I really pushed it.

Are you a hoarder- or an escape artist like me?

2. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

no but I know some people that are.

I know some real professional people that are and you wouldnt know till you go to their home. They will fight you tooth and nail to help clean it up.

I just dont understand it,what causes people to want to save things to the point it becomes a health hazard and if theres a treatment available for them.

3. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

I've watched many.
    I have yet to see a show that ends in an actual enema of the entire house. It does succeed in humiliating people that have serious mental issues and only addresses their acting out, not their root causes.

4. Captain America

Captain America

Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

5. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Ive only seen 1 show that the woman did get her house cleaned up.

I know a former electrical engineer that saves broken clocks and parts and had an entire garage devoted to boxes of junk. His response is that he may need that stuff someday. Well, dont think so,he doesnt repair stuff. He has boxes of back issues of popular mechanics and boxes of keys.

I think the underlying cause is sometime in their youth, either a parent or someone did the same thing,a learned behavior. Ive seen children of adult hoarders doing the same thing.

6. 654Boomer

654Boomer

Awesome quote . . . Neil McCauley (Robert Deniro) from the movie Heat.

7. ICE35

ICE35

Having a mother that is in the process of redirecting her life into a extended care home, I really see the problem. Tons of things that are of no monetary value are in need of disposal. Pix of the family (and slides) in EVERYstage of growth. Papers from dad in the WW11, Korea, and other publications he wrote at University of Florida. Cards I sent to them for every occasion have been saved. What a trip down the memory lane.

Point being, I have spent hours looking through this stuff. I can not bring myself to trash such things. However, I am obsessive about cleanliness in every other part of my life. Some things are just "different" I guess. I got a large tupper ware container and - stored the stuff in our bonus room...

8. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

If you look at most people's garages all people are hoarders to a degree. I think the show does humiliate people...but anything for ratings, right..:whistling:

9. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

I, too, have watched that show numerous times. Something disturbing about wanting to continue watching, but something even more disturbing is how these people 'live'.
    I guess because I am borderline OCD on cleanliness and organization that drives me to know what not to do.
    Some of these people need help and I usually have a desire to reach out and help, but some are lazy and many are making excuses for it.

10. firedawg60

firedawg60

The wife and I watch this. It's amazing. But I've been on some calls to houses just like these. It's amazing that people live like this almost in your backyard.

11. Davegrave

Davegrave Dapper Dan

I don't like the show. I thought I would. But after 5 min of seeing all the crap in their house I need to change the channel. 30 min is too long. Plus I want to kick the people freaking out and crying about a stack of mildewed news papers.

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I'm trying to hoard some $$$, but so far no luck :)

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Me too. :supergrin:

14. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I watched it once and wanted to cry. Then I started throwing out crap.

15. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Saw it once or twice, and while some people take it to an extreme, I'll admitt that I've got a slight case of hording. I have a hard time thowing anything away that may come in "handy" in the future. Scrap pieces of wood from a building project, carboard boxes, odd peices of electrical / electronic stuff, etc.

Once in a while I'll go nuts and clean out the basement and shed....and sure enough...a little while later I'll be doing something where I could have used the stuff I just threw out!:supergrin:

Means another trip to the store, and the cycle repeats itself.

16. Pappy John

Pappy John

Runs rampant in all the women in my wife's family. It's a constant battle here, resulting in a clean living area, but a massively overstuffed basement storage area. If I die first, our home will no doubt look like one of these places within six months. If she dies first, I'm ordering a dumpster to be delivered right after the services.....a big one:supergrin:

17. JMS

JMS 02

I personally feel the more material possessions you own, the more they own you. Even people that aren't hoarders have a lot of crap in their house. I guess I lean towards minimalism.

To me, minus the lights (I'd want something more subtle), this is the perfect living room;
    [​IMG]

18. RCP

RCP

That the most uncomfortable looking couch I've ever seen. Swap it for my microfiber plush recliner and some sort of end table to set my beer and chips on and I'm with you.:supergrin:

19. Altaris

Altaris

Have they shown any of the houses yet that have been hoarding all of our ammo? :steamed:

:supergrin::wavey:

20. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

One gent last week did have some guns, a bit of ammo and some reloading supplies. He had misplaced a firearm in his place amongst his junk. Man the ladies working the house were concerned for everyone working in the residence, but suprisingly were not freakin out about it. They found the Ruger, calmly called him over to handle the weapon and put it in his safe.