A&E’s Live PD Captures Intense Police Takedown

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by 7th District, Feb 7, 2017.

1. 7th District

7th District

One of my coworkers just sent me this link. I thought others here might be interested in seeing it as well.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Well, I'd not consider that to be especially intense, but it is somewhat embarrassing.

Lack of control from the get-go on the L/R passenger who broke and ran, ARMED. While the officers were trying to handle that man, finally discovering he was armed and going for a gun, and the cuffed (and hopefully searched) subject was still at the R/R of the veh, there were 2 other subjects in the front seat? Who might also have been armed? Not to mention the camera person who was also at risk, being present on-scene.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

3. ottomatic

ottomatic

I'm glad it turned out OK, but I saw a bunch of problems.
    1. They should have called for backup as soon as they realized that there were four individuals.
    2. No reason to start getting people out before said backup arrives.
    3. Should have used the TASER.

4. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Pretty soon (if not already) the public will be crying that he couldn't breathe.

5. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

I especially liked the face slaps...

fla2760 likes this.
  6. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

He needed an eye gouge,, or two.

fla2760 likes this.
  7. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

I understand a broken finger will bring about compliance. Non-lethal and very effective.

fla2760 and GlockPride like this.
  8. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I've been there before, and luckily things turned out about the same (didn't have to shoot the guy). Totally different lead up, but no fun rolling around on the ground with a guy who has a gun. I screwed a Glock in his temple with my knee on his elbow, explaining that he had a very short time to live. He understood.

I do not like to MMQB, but the fist thing that I noticed is they were both playing contact officer, and nobody was the cover. They had 4 suspects and 2 cops. Maybe the backup was on the way, but they put themselves in a really bad position through their lack of tactics. Luckily, it looks like these guys wanted to get away not murder the cops, or I think this would be drastically different. Maybe the camera being a witness changed the behavior of the suspects and cops.

One suspect at a time. Contact and cover. Take control early. Maintain it. Don't end up on YouTube. But when the guy starts going for the gun, gouge, punch, snap necks, tear off arms - get real mean. Those open hand slaps were embarassing.

9. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Though the officers may have made errors there's no way I would want to do their job. I'd say incredible restraint was show by the LEO.

SevenSixtyTwo and happie2shoot like this.
  10. blackjack

blackjack

That was local to me but haven't had any contact with any of my usual sources for more info. My reaction after the first time I saw it was the perp is extremely lucky to still be breathing.

happie2shoot likes this.
  11. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Can you imagine one or two female cops in that position.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

The only "wobbler" I see in your list is deployment of a Taser, because different agencies (in different circuit court districts) can have substantially different policies about Taser usage.

13. Mattz

Mattz

Outside of some of the things already pointed out, I guess i'm at a loss as to the response by the second officer. You have someone in possession of a gun, who ran from you and is now resisting arrest... As well as actively attempting to gain access to the weapon while the officer is restraining him... With all that pointed out, it's obvious his only intent would be to use the gun... So why the soft and drawn out response?

First copper did a great job controlling and restraining.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Curious how that will turn out. Does Tulsa policy require you to wait until he gets the gun out and TV cameras are off before deadly force is authorized?

Fighting. Possession of a gun. Reaching for the gun during said struggle.

Got a lot of confidence in themselves if he had a hand on the gun in a firing grip as he said at the end. Peeling his fingers of one by one???. WTF?

Randy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fla2760 likes this.
  15. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I cannot in a million years imagine my department signing off on allowing a "live" camera show to follow our guys around.

There is just so much to MMQB about that situation. Everyone, from the cops to the suspect to his homies in the car to the cameraman to the silly woman wandering in and out of the scene, is lucky to be alive.

fla2760, LilCop2002 and Gombey like this.
  16. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I figure that the combination of the stupid camera and the fact that Tulsa PD is dealing with the fallout from the Betty Shelby shooting last fall made them almost suicidally hesitant to use appropriate force.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/here-we-go-again-tulsa-ok.1635710/

Their chief is an idiot for signing off on allowing the camera crews to do ridealongs while that case is still pending.

larry_minn, Gombey and blackjack like this.
  17. sos4364

sos4364

One out at a time pat down , finish , the. On to next subject. Simple as that. No control holds , or positioning during the pat downs. If your passive enough to not have a hold of the dude your patting down or use some sort of tactical stance to give you an advantage while patting him down , then why the f are you patting him down.

Seriously. This is downright embarrassing, scary , and these two gang unit officers really need to take a hard look at the video of themselves. The guy is obviously going for his waistband your partner is telling you there something there and the best you got is a pimp slap????????? While your life is on the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let alone officer number 2 doing nothing but playing grabass. That was a use of force nightmare

WOW. I'd have a new partner by days end

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    fla2760 and msu_grad_121 like this.
  18. Sgt127

Sgt127

Yes. Yes there was. There was too much restraint. That was a fight to the death. And they were not fighting like it was.

larry_minn likes this.
  19. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Now this is from a chair, inside, in safe place, no pressure.......

Did the pass in rear behind driver not give MANY pre flight indicators?? He looked, kept changing his angle from what/wher Officer wanted him. Heck earlier 1st Officer appeared to have BOTH hands on roof of car, talking thru window. Mayberry Casual?

20. beatcop

beatcop

Prob need a more violent response to a guy actively drawing a pistol.

-asp to head
    -arm bar to breaking
    -sink a full choke

Get the bad guy onto stomach asap

From armchair of course.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017