close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A dumb Trillian question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Grey Wolf, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

Hey guys,

I finally got rid of AOL and have downloaded Trillian to IM some family members who are AOL members.

I was wondering how I use it to IM them. I can figure out how to put them in, but do I need to have a AIM user name or does it work straight from Trillian?

This goes with all the IM services, do you have to be a member or do you use Trillian as a host?

Thanks

Grey Wolf

PS Anyone in my area want to help me get rid of all AOL reminants on my puter? I would be willing to be a gracious host and supply food and the beverage of your choice!! ;f LOL

2. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

You'll hook up to the AOL server through Trillian using whatever AOL name you already have.

File>Connection>Connection Manager, then chose add, AOL, and enter the information.

3. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

Thanks you the man.

Guess I am just stupid, I could not figure it out for over an hour last night.

Thanks

Stay safe

Grey Wolf

4. frefoo

frefoo

If you AOL accounts are closed you will need to create a new AIM ID. (Same as ICQ/MSN/Yaoo etc using trillian or other clients).

You should be able to create a new AIM ID

here

Once you have a valid AIM ID follow Harlequin's directions to set up trillian.

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

;z

I am not sure this is possible. I think AOHell kinda takes over your computer for good. Actually you can get it all but it is a pain in the a....nkle. I have had good luck on my personal computers to just disable everything you can rather than spend hours trying to get all of AOHell.

The main thing is to reclaim Internet Explorer as your browser rather than AOHell's. Once that is done you bairley even know it is there aside from an occasional icon.

Even better than that is to not use Internet Explorer at all and use a browser like Firefox.

6. greenlead

greenlead

I haven't tried Trillian, but I am a MAJOR Gaim fan. It is totally open-source and can be downloaded from http://gaim.sourceforge.net

:cool: