a day for the hunter a day for the prey

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Sep 25, 2007.

1. noway

noway

Here's a story of my past sunday hunting experience for the opening weekend for archery in central zone Florida.

I ran across a young fawn ( with spots ) this sunday midday. Early morning I sat out on the edge of a dried which is now a slightly wet marsh. If you remember some of my photos on GT, I had one of some turkeys crossing thru, this is the same place a meer 20yards away a few years back.

Around 10:00 I saw 4 legs attached to a brownish with spots covered animal. It was fawn, cute , sexy and young. I almost felts sad for hunting when I saw him. This deer walk about 7ft from my feet and then stopped and alerted. I knew at this momment I would not kill it's mom. ( it's illegal to hunt a spotted deer in FL ). So I relaxed my bow and then waited.

the fawn pawed the ground with in 20ft of my feet. Then it darted off with a quick burst.

Lo and behold , another set of legs came up quickly and following the same exact tracts of the young fawn. It was buck in velvet 4pts from my count maybe 6 pts for the 2 stubs on his main beam. It walked with in 25-30fts of me and then quickly turned broadside under some brush and over hanged of an sand oak. I pull the 60lb bow and then release the arrow.

It hit something enroute and the the deer flew out unharmed not hit.

Strangely it never suspected me nor ran off. It figure something fell out of the oak tree it was under. I tried stalking it on the wet and quicly drying marsh gras but soon it was out of site. Only if I had a gun, rifle or mzl'er, this deer would have surely been 101% dead. I had about half dozen broadside and quartering shots as I walked behind this deer trying to keep a brush, clump or obstacle in between me and it's rear end.

It never alerted not knew that potential death was a meer 15-50yards away. At my closet point I was probably a 15yards away with no shot angle.

Either way I drove home the 135miles empty handed. I felt happy and satisfied on my lack of a productive outcome on a potential Okeechobee deer ;)

2. glockawakka

glockawakka

I love the hunt myself. If it was easy I don't think we'd do it.

3. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Semper Fi CLM

I agree. If it were easy, it would be called harvesting. :thumbsup:

4. glockawakka

glockawakka

Your post is making all sorts of memories come back to me. THanks!

2 of my favorite "almosts"

trout fishing a local river. 2 LARGE trout sitting at the bottom of this pool. I drifted a egg sack over their nose 4or 5 times, nothing. spoon.... nothing. dry fly.....nothing. kid comes over, maybe 11 or 12 whips a worm out their with his zebco pushbutton and 15lb test WHAMO hooks one. I was happy, the kid was estatic!

Florida Keys, This is a two parter, I'm wade fishing a tidal river surrounded by flats. Drifting dead shrimp and hooking a fair number of fish, A school of tarpon come cruising in, to me they looked about 4-6ft long. I plop a shrimp a few yards infront, hoping they'll cruise into it. they do. One comes to the surface and grabs the shrimp with an utterly gentle SLURP, instantly spits the hook on the water! I was amazed! They cruise up and I see them again, same thing. 3 times they sucked the shrimp off my hook and spit the hook in the air! Now time passes, I'm wading and fishing. Probably 2-300yds from the river out on the flats. I'm hooking lots of fish. BAM BAM BAM one right after the other. All of a sudden it stops. I mean NOTHING no bites, no nibbles, NADA. I see movement off to the right. BIG SHADOW. It's a Shark, Wide Shark, BIG SHARK! It's circling me. Each circle is getting closer and closer, I'm trying to close the distance between me and land. I've never heard of a shark attack on dry land, EVER!! I slowly slide back the couple hundred yards to shore. all the while ole bitey magee is tailin me. After what seemed like an eternity I make it to shore with no drama. I walk the beach all the way back to where my lil lady was fishin, she says "see anything big?"

It's funny how one feels when they are no longer the one doing the ordering for lunch.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Good story Noway.

I for one wouldn't hunt for long if every time I went out I came back with a kill.

This excursion will make the next one you drop all the better.

Keep on hunting brother!

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Good story noway.... Ya had a great time man, and that is idea!
    You usually always score...... Next time out will be different! Maybe next time, that bucks pappy will mosey by. ;)

We all got those..."The one that got away stories." ;)

Good huntin my friend.

CanyonMan

7. dfowler21

dfowler21 Guest

So true. I always tell people Im a hunter...not a finder.