GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I tend to shoot every pistol I shoot just a wee bit to the left ? Is there a 'grip cure' for this ? I KNOW every pistol I shoot can't pattern to the left.

Thank you
Michael

·
902 Posts
Your finger may not be on the center of the trigger...i.e. not enough trigger finger. You can push the sights to the left if your finger is more on the right side of the trigger as opposed to correctly positioned on the center. If you are low left, you may also be anticipating the recoil.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
The cure is to align your sights correctly and focus on keeping your front sight on the target through the press of the trigger. That is done most efficiently by using good fundamentals, but that's the essence of it.

If you can do that, no matter your grip or stance or whatever, you will hit.

Keep your front sight on the target through the press of the trigger.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The cure is to align your sights correctly and focus on keeping your front sight on the target through the press of the trigger. That is done most efficiently by using good fundamentals, but that's the essence of it.

If you can do that, no matter your grip or stance or whatever, you will hit.

Keep your front sight on the target through the press of the trigger.
And that advice right there is what a lot of people pay big money for. You can take all the classes from big names but if you don’t have the fundamentals down, you’re wasting your money.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
And that advice right there is what a lot of people pay big money for. You can take all the classes from big names but if you don’t have the fundamentals down, you’re wasting your money.
Thanks; I occasionally get big money to dispense that exact advice, with a good bit of personalized instruction to help implement it.

People often spend so much time trying to focus on what they may be doing wrong ( is it my grip? My stance? My trigger finger? ) etc, that they lose focus on the things they need to be doing RIGHT.

My job is to help them find that focus, and over the years it's been my honor to help thousands of people find it.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Leatham has a different view.
Actually he's saying the same thing; keep the pistol stationary through the firing process;

What I have found is that having them focus on keeping the front sight which is attached to the gun on the target ( stationary) through the press of the trigger ( not moving gun through the shot) gives them the visual they need and lends itself to most people's learning modalities .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Support hand should provide slightly more gripping force that dominant hand. A lot of people seem to think dominant hand’s job is to choke the butt of that gun like a chicken but that makes it more difficult to isolate the trigger finger.

There are mechanics to how the joints and muscles in that dominant hand work together that affect where the muzzle goes. You try to avoid the different muscles in that strong hand flexing in sympathy with eachother.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I have the same question on my golf clubs. Damn things always hit ball to the right.

There are club fixes, and swing fixes. Pick one.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
That may be why red dots and lasers are popular.
Laziness and marketing are why lasers are so popular; people like gadgets, and want to buy good performance rather than learn it.

Red dots are great, really good, becuase they vastly simplify the optical portion of the shooting process in a way that makes it easy for alot of people to line it all up, but to hit properly a person still needs to do their part by holding that dot ( the sight, and thereby the muzzle and the whole rest of the pistol) still ( on target) through the press of the trigger ( the firing process) ....

I have had a number of people come to me with optics on their pistols who were still having alot of trouble becuase they were not doing that.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Laziness and marketing are why lasers are so popular; people like gadgets, and want to buy good performance rather than learn it.

Red dots are great, really good, becuase they vastly simplify the optical portion of the shooting process in a way that makes it easy for alot of people to line it all up, but to hit properly a person still needs to do their part by holding that dot ( the sight, and thereby the muzzle and the whole rest of the pistol) still ( on target) through the press of the trigger ( the firing process) ....

I have had a number of people come to me with optics on their pistols who were still having alot of trouble becuase they were not doing that.
When I really need to use my pistol, I guarantee you I won't be still. I'll buy all the performance I can afford.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
When I really need to use my pistol, I guarantee you I won't be still. I'll buy all the performance I can afford.
YOU don't have to be still, but the pistol DOES ( at least the parts that count)

If it is not, you will not hit.

I don't teach bullseye shooting and I don't teach gaming; I teach the fundamentals that help you survive a gunfight; those skills come from decades of experience of not only training, teaching, and learning, but of being involved in actual armed encounters, and have kept me, as well as a number of students alive over the years.

There are many ways to do things, but there is no substitute for proper skills.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
YOU don't have to be still, but the pistol DOES ( at least the parts that count)

If it is not, you will not hit.

I don't teach bullseye shooting and I don't teach gaming; I teach the fundamentals that help you survive a gunfight; those skills come from decades of experience of not only training, teaching, and learning, but of being involved in actual armed encounters, and have kept me, as well as a number of students alive over the years.

There are many ways to do things, but there is no substitute for proper skills.
The feedback from the laser tells me when the gun is still enough. Ditto for the red dot. I don't even need to take the time to raise the gun to my eye if I have the laser. If I should encounter a situation where I have to drop to the ground in a parking lot and shoot underneath cars, the laser would be much better than traditional aiming.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
The feedback from the laser tells me when the gun is still enough. Ditto for the red dot. I don't even need to take the time to raise the gun to my eye if I have the laser. If I should encounter a situation where I have to drop to the ground in a parking lot and shoot underneath cars, the laser would be much better than traditional aiming.
If you get the opportunity, you should take a good dynamic class, possibly even some force on force training where you will be able to put those theories to the test;

Also remember, no matter how quickly you can get that dot on something, if you as the shooter don't do your part by keeping it there through the press of the trigger ( the complete firing cycle) it won't matter; it's really that simple.

No matter how much you spend, or what system you use, there is no substitute for a solid foundation of skills.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If you get the opportunity, you should take a good dynamic class, possibly even some force on force training where you will be able to put those theories to the test;

Also remember, no matter how quickly you can get that dot on something, if you as the shooter don't do your part by keeping it there through the press of the trigger ( the complete firing cycle) it won't matter; it's really that simple.

No matter how much you spend, or what system you use, there is no substitute for a solid foundation of skills.
The foundation starts with the bullseye - especially important with the situation of the bad guy with a hostage. Then expand to active situations where you, the gun, and the target are moving, and that is where the optical aids give an edge.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Why do I tend to shoot every pistol I shoot just a wee bit to the left ? Is there a 'grip cure' for this ? I KNOW every pistol I shoot can't pattern to the left.

Thank you
Michael
Good morning!
The vast majority of misses/poor hits are caused by improper trigger manipulation. Try this:

1. Isolate the movement of your trigger finger. By that I mean, be sure not to squeeze the pistol with your whole hand, or the support hand for that matter. Steady grip, smooth pull until the shot breaks.
2. Pull straight back, make sure your not pushing or pulling the trigger.
3. If you have a pre-ignition push, dry practice until it goes away. After it goes away, keep dry practicing.

That‘s it. Others already said it but it bears repeating: Put the sight where you want the bullet to go, hold the gun still, and run the trigger smoothly. That works whether your on a square range, moving dynamically, or the fights starts while you’re in a booth at the coffee shop.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I also tend to drift to the left side when using my dominant hand. But when I practice using my weaker arm and weaker eye, it straightens out. So I'm not inclined to blame it on the gun. I just compensate by aiming a little to the right.

·
NRA Life Member
28,939 Posts
This may help.

But this is the one I use when teaching.

;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts