close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A couple questions...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Timothy658, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

I started weight lifting about 5 months ago, and have gained some weight, and seen a fair increase in my bench press. Ive been taking a protein supplement for a few months now. The stuff I have is 25 gr of protein per serving. I currently weight 140-145 lbs, and if I need to be taking 1.5 gr per pound of body weight, thats a lot of servings per day. Should I take a protein supplement with more grams of protein per serving, or is that a bad idea? Does this stuff mix good?

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.js...2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

Another question....I have been thinking of taking a fiber drink. Is this a good idea? I would bet that I dont get enough fiber in my diet, this is why I have been considering this. If you guys do suggest I do this, what products would you suggest? Thanks for any help!

2. DBradD

DBradD

I'd like to challenge the idea that you need supplements at all.

It's not difficult to eat a reasonable amount of protein. Have you tried counting the number of grams of protein that you eat in a day? Chicken breasts, tuna, etc, have very large numbers of grams of protein for very few calories.

I've tried various supplements over the years and can honestly say that I couldn't tell a bit of difference in my gains when taking them. The best 4 month period I ever had was during a time that I took no supplements. I think they are very good for one thing--snaring endorsement dollars for pro bodybuilders whose gains came from the juice.

I believe in sticking to the basics. Eat a very well balanced diet, drink lots of water, lift heavy using basic exercises, etc. I think everything else is just fluff. Supplements are extremely expensive also.

DBD

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I think DBD has some solid advice. Supplements are to supplement your food intake not a replacement for food. Concentrate first on eating properly, than if needed supplement your protein intake with protein powder. Lean beef, poultry, fish, eggs, it's good stuff, eat up.

As for fiber, I say eat some veggies. But I may be the wrong person to give advice on fiber, I don't miss my REGULARILY scheduled appointments often.

4. DBradD

DBradD

Another thought: I'm not sure about that 1.5g / lb of bodyweight number. That seems a bit high to me. Are you sure you don't mean 1.5g/kg bodyweight (mass would be more correct -- I know there are engineers in the neighborhood ;) )? If you try to get 2 g/kg of bodyweight, that would be roughly 150, which should be no problem with a good overall diet, a bit high in protein. "A bit high in protein" could be accomplished easily enough just by making sure you eat something like a couple cans of tuna or a chicken breast at each of your hopefully 5-6 meals/day.

DBD