A couple build questions....

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by djegators, Mar 4, 2010.

1. djegators

djegators

Ok, my Noveske complete rifle arrives soon, along with the free lower. The rifle is a low profile recce. For the build, I am considering a 14.5" carbine to have a little variety to the recce. So, if I get a 14.5" with a permanent flash hider to make it legal length, can that flash hider later be removed if I convert to SBR? Also, I may just get a "basic" for the upper...is it reasonably simple to later change the hand guards to rails? Lastly, I want to put a magpul UBR on the recce, and use the stock I take off for the build, this is easy enough as well, right?

2. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

1) If you're going to switch to an SBR later I'd just buy a new barrel or upper.
    2) You can remove permenant FHs but it can be a major pain if it's welded well (which it will be if you buy it from Noveske I'm sure). You may have to ship it to ADCO, who could theoretically chop your barrel down as well, but once again I'd just get a new barrel.
    3) Depending on the rail you want to add later it can range from EXTREMELY easy (Daniel Defense Omega rail) to more difficult (DD Lite rail, you'll probably want a gunsmith) to add the rail on.
    4) I've never installed a UBR but I do not believe it's terribly difficult. I think I actually saw a YouTube video on installing a UBR a few weeks ago, you might look it up.

3. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

I just built out a RECCE low pro on the supplied free N4 receiver, but if I were going to SBR later, I'd just chill on the 14.5 w/ perm FH, potentially damaging removal, and then being left with just M4 length.

[​IMG]

My recommendation is to get the paperwork in ASAP, call the dealer and get the SN prior to shipment maybe, and then stick that bad boy on the shelf. It goes quicker than you think, especially if you're busy enjoying the new RECCE.

When the stamp comes back slap an 11.5" on there like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  4. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Why not just do a 16inch brl and not have to worry about the SBR stuff?

You can actually take off the pinned FH yourself, but you will ruin the FH in the process.

5. djegators

djegators

I am now thinking I will just do a 14.5" with FH, and do a SBR later, on an entirely different rifle. Thanks for all the input!

6. vettely

vettely

Or you can silver solder on the FH and for removal re-heat/melt the solder.