A consistent powder measure?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by euclid, Feb 9, 2010.

1. euclid

euclid

I have a Hornady LNL-AP. It's a great press but the automatic powder measure that it comes with doesn't seem to throw charges with the consistency that I would prefer.

Can anyone recommend a powder measure that will work with this press that may have a better reputation for consistency?

Thanks!

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Check to make sure the measure is not partially turning in the bushing during operation, if it is call Hornady for a shim that goes under the bushing.

Are you using the proper meter, small or larger for your particular load.

Those measures are normally very consistent.

Jack

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Also, did you completely disassemble, degrease, and clean the powder measure? I've read that being a common issue w/ folks and this powder measure.

Beyond that, I know some don't like it, but I've had reasonably good luck w/ the auto disk. Once you run a pound or so of powder through it, its pretty accurate. Before I done that though, I'd try to figure out whats wrong w/ your LNL powder measure.

IGF

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. dudel

dudel

Back when I had a Hornady Projector (precursor to the AP), I also had problems with the powder measure. Looks like the same powder measure. Many got it to work to their satisfaction. I didn't. I moved to the Dillon powder measure and it's been great. It will work in the AP and give you case expansion. You will need to get Dillon to ship you the springs they used on the older models (vs the failsafe linkage they have now). The springs are use the help the powder bar return to the home position after the case has been lowered.

5. 380Seecamp

380Seecamp

I use a Redding BR-3 for most loading, and it works well. For large charges of stick powder (and other fussy powder), I use an RCBS ChargeMaster 1500.

[​IMG]

6. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

What powders are you using? Does it throw randoms with all of them, or just one in particular?

The LNL-AP measure is very consistent in terms of design, so before you start making a frankenpress by adding a Dillon or Lee measure, better to sort out the reasons that you're getting inconsistent throws. Jack and IGF had great suggestions; make sure it's clean and 100% grease free is step one.

thorn

7. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Read your message header and signed on. I have a Redding measure, and RCBS measure, a Lyman measure all collected over the years for various projects. I also have an LnL press with an LnL measure on it.

The Hornady measure is the most consistent and accurate of all these measures. It runs smoother too.

Contact Sinclair and get yourself a Harrell if you want something more sophisticated than the LnL.

8. euclid

euclid

I'm using powders that seem to meter well for other people. These include Titegroup, WSF, 231, etc.

I'd like to do this, as I already have a Lee Perfect Powder measure, but the threads on the powder flow through die are too short for my Hornday LNL press. How did you get around this? Does lee make longer threads for their powder flow through does now?

Thanks!

9. fredj338

fredj338

The Hornady measure is waaaaay better than the Lee. Make sure it has been cleaned, make sure there are no burrs. The measure will get smoother as you use it. For pistol, use the small measuring chamber, that is the problem most have w/ the Hornady.

10. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

ABSOLUTELY. Great point.

The larger insert is really not good for the 3-6gr ranges, in my experience.

thorn

11. euclid

euclid

Well, I took the Hornady Power Measure apart and polished all of the bearing surfaced and cleaned it thoroughly. It seems to be throwing much more consistent charges now.

However, I'm still curious how some of you were able to get the Lee PPM to work with the Hornady press...

Thanks for the comments.

12. fredj338

fredj338

Again, why, the Hornady measure is a better tool. Use the small measure & run at least a # of powder through it & it will settle in.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Also, remember to take the case out of the press after you seat the primer, Tap in on the bench upsidedown to get the crap out THEN throw the charge. You can get .2 gr variation just not doing that. I have a case that has a spent primer in it upsidedown. I use it to throw powder to set my powder measure. But the cases you are just about to load are not clean inside and sizing knocks stuff loose and mess up your weights. It's one reason people think their measure is creeping up in weight. It's really not it's just gunk getting knocked loose.

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Why would you not be able to? The Pro Autodisk can work on any press. It requires no rods, etc... it just sits on top of the press and goes when there's a case inserted. So if you wanted to use it, you'd use it like you would any other powder measure.

IGF

15. euclid

euclid

The length of the powder flow-through/neck expander die that the powder measure screws into is too short. It would need to be ~0.5" longer in order for it to work. These dies were purchase in 2001. Do you think that have lengthened them since then?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  16. euclid

euclid

I agree that the Hornady piece is better quality, but I have the additional Lee powder measure laying around so I thought it wouldn't hurt to test it out.

cheers

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I really don't know... I wouldn't have thought the die was to short.

IGF