Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you all use for cleaning?

How thoroughly do you clean your rifle?

Any special tricks or techniques you may have discovered?

I use an Otis kit. A boresnake. CLP, and a chopstick. Yes I have found wooden disposable chopsticks to be awesome for tons of applications.

I have a Yugo so I have the gas valve to deal with. Which has never been a problem ever for me.

I scrape carbon off of the gas piston with a extra brass patch holder, it works quite well. I never had the original cleaning kit.

My barrel never gets as clean as I would like it, I would have to change up my cleaning supplies to get it sparkling.

I store my rifle upright with the bolt held open, so any lube that runs back out of the barrel doesn't run onto the bolt face and firing pin.

I'm probably forgetting some things, but thats the basics of what I do.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I use a winchester cleaning kit, brass rod and brushes. CLP on some swabs and dollar store tooth brushes, swab everything clean. Pop the trigger group and brush off. Gas tube and op rods, clean lube reinsert. The bolt I don't break down unless I notice cosmoline seeping from it. It's hard to get it all out. I'll pull the firing pin and swab it out, lube it up, reinsert.

When I got mine it had a build up of varnish and cosmoline in the breech. I used carb cleaner and a 35 cal steel brush on the end of an electric drill. Swabbed it shiney, no FTEs since. Before it would lock up so hard I'd have to whip out a mallet.

With my tech sights and tapco stock however, it's impossible to field strip without tools, so I'm looking at building a small tool kit that fits in the collapsible stock in case I run into issues at the range without a tool box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since I shoot reloads in my SKS rifle 99% of the time it doesn't get very dirty compared to the Russian ammo most people use. I generally clean the gas tube,pistol and gas block,flush the bolt and firing pin out with brake cleaner and clean the bore as I normally would all my other rifles.

About ever 500 rds. I repack the short rod and spring under the rear sight with Arctic grade moly grease,take the recoil spring apart clean and regrease it drop the trigger group,clean,oil and grease it where needed.

The gas tube,piston and firing pin and channel it rides in should be run dry in the SKS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts