GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Right now, my buddy is kinda taking it easy 'cause he isn't in a mood that would forgive very well. He's tuned-up for the possibility of increased home invasion or burglary action, so he'll be sure to wear his hearing aids and he set up a few trailcams for whatever they see.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If someone is going to shoot the dogs while not on the property, it makes sense. But, to climb the fence to retrieve the collars of the dead dogs on their own property? Doesn't make sense.

An invisible fence that covers 40 acres doesn't make sense.

A 22LR going clear through with enough power to break a bone doesn't make sense.

Shooting 2 dogs several times rather than once each through the head doesn't make sense.

The dogs hanging around after being hit once, or multiple times doesn't make sense. If you shoot a coyote and don't kill him dead, he hauls ass injured and all.

A lot doesn't make sense... :headscratch:
I am theorizing here, but I believe that whoever got the collars before shooting them.

And perhaps because they were littermates the one may have stayed close by until he realized how badly he was hurt.

I was always doubtful about the 22lr ammo going thru and thru a medium sized dog at any distance. But I thought that I read something about finding brass, even though I couldn’t find that again later.

Guessing here, but if 40 acres is square plat then the perimeter is 1 mile. Someone was determined that dogs could be able to run but not get out and get into trouble. So I guess that I see that.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
If someone is going to shoot the dogs while not on the property, it makes sense. But, to climb the fence to retrieve the collars of the dead dogs on their own property? Doesn't make sense.

An invisible fence that covers 40 acres doesn't make sense.

A 22LR going clear through with enough power to break a bone doesn't make sense.

Shooting 2 dogs several times rather than once each through the head doesn't make sense.

The dogs hanging around after being hit once, or multiple times doesn't make sense. If you shoot a coyote and don't kill him dead, he hauls ass injured and all.

A lot doesn't make sense... :headscratch:
Well - the electric fence only covers the front yard and all the way down to the first gatepost at the inside driveway. But it makes a full enclosure for the area where the doga are allowed to run when he's not at home. They stay inside at night.... prolly sleep on his bed I bet!

He really loves his animals.

I'm not sure you are imagining the scene correctly thought.

The dead dog was at the end of the run lying inside the inner driveway - inside the electric limit line, dead with no collar. It had 4 (updated number) shots, through and through and it appears to have bled to death where it dropped.
There is a big open gate at that point, just on the other side of the electric fenceline - so walking in and taking a collar would be easy I bet - if the dog had expired by that time.​

The surviving dog (let's call him "Tripod" for the nonce - OK?) had been shot a couple of times too - but there was the one shot that fractured the hip.

That's a mystery to me yet - but I'm not there and I'm letting the sedated/surviving dog and his owner settle in for a few days until he wants to talk about it --- the owner, not the dog (sorry I didn't make that clear).

I suspect 2 shooters - one with a 22LR and the other with a more powerful weapon.
a. Head shots? Hmmmm --- hard to do on a running, jumping, barking dog I bet.
b. Perhaps they weren't good shots or just one shooter did most of the shooting and the 2nd shooter held on until he figured the still up-n-running dog was gonna get away and then used his more powerful weapon and couldn't get a head shot --- I dunnow --- this is all Monday morning quarterbacking.
c. Butt-shots on a retreating animal may be the only target offered by a dog on the way out of danger ... I'm not sure how dogs think but I'm pretty sure that 'eternity' and 'death' isn't in their vocabulary ... so that becomes a mystery unto itself.
d. 'Scared" from all the noise and commotion MAY however, be in their speaking points and perhaps just trying to get away was why he got shot in the nethers.
Thar single missing colar is still a biggie to me - and my buddy.
a. Why take it - off a dead or dying dog?
i) Trophy?
ii) Proof?
iii) Of/for what?​
b. The dog was found, remember, inside the electric limit line of the inner driveway so there's something there too.​

Then there's the 12 or 13 empties (tube fed?) of 22LR at one of the fencelines. I was told it was the northern fenceline now - that scuttlebut is not from the owner, but from rumors that I have gleaned and am trying to consolidate.

IF the empties are from the northern side of the property, that's BLM land ... so does this become a Federal thing now?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I still have more questions than answers. It doesn't make sense.

A 22 is easily accurate enough to have killed millions and millions of squirrels with headshots. A dog would be easy. Same way you kill a moving squirrel or deer. Make a click or whistle, they freeze, pull the trigger. (no, you don't shoot deer with a 22, but if if they are walking or moving and you want them to freeze, a whistle or click will do it)

And a federal crime? Call that complaint in to the USFWS and see how far it goes.

Your mystery not mine. I'm glad the one dog pulled through.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I still have more questions than answers. It doesn't make sense.

A 22 is easily accurate enough to have killed millions and millions of squirrels with headshots. A dog would be easy. Same way you kill a moving squirrel or deer. Make a click or whistle, they freeze, pull the trigger. (no, you don't shoot deer with a 22, but if if they are walking or moving and you want them to freeze, a whistle or click will do it)

And a federal crime? Call that complaint in to the USFWS and see how far it goes.

Your mystery not mine. I'm glad the one dog pulled through.
What you say corroborates with my thoughts --- IF the first shooter (22LR) was a kid or a novice, he'd just shoot mass - right? That might explain he multiple rounds and none are a kill shot.

The other shooter (dad? older friend? better shooter? heavier caliber?) may have been more experienced and actually tried for a headshot on a retreating dog.

That kinda works for me.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts