GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds like the work of city people or kids.
No one with experience would set out to kill dogs with a rimfire.

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
28,467 Posts
Sounds like the work of city people or kids.
No one with experience would set out to kill dogs with a rimfire.
City people don't have any guns. And certainly wouldn't be able to shoot a moving target. And they aren't going to go drive out into the country to go dog shooting.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I am sorry if that sounded like a boast because I didn't mean it too. I had tried to scare him off with before by just shooting around him. That didn't work. That morning he was moving pretty fast and I only had time to get a couple of shots off. I wasn't really aiming and just happened to hit him with that one shot. Like I said I was trying to get in position to get an aimed mercy shot in before he took off and I wasn't going to shoot anymore because it would not have been safe.
I wasn't just trying to protect the cats, but also my property. I have video evidence of the particular dog destroying property. As for the cats I have never seen any evidence of them hurting any birds although I am sure they have since that is what cats do. However, my wife keeps them pretty fed and they don't need them for food around here. There is no shortage of birds around here, so if they are killing them they aren't making much of a dent.
Funny, but I used to have a big problem with voles that I've tried several techniques to get rid of. I haven't seen them since we started keeping the cats. Is that why? I don't know but I've noticed after years of trouble I haven't seen them.
I have found evidence in the back yard of MY DOGS killing birds. They are well kept and DON'T GET OUT NOW. In fact, one did get out a few months ago and SOMEBODY else SHOT HIM. That was a well-aimed shot.
It hit his chest ran along under the skin and came out the other side. It looked like a killing shot. He was just lucky it didn't actually enter his chest cavity. Someone WAS trying to kill him. I don't blame them. It's a long story about how I finally managed to keep that dog in the yard.
Anyway, I get your point. I did NOT want to hurt the dog let along kill him, but in my area, it was the only option I have of solving the problem. I don't KNOW that I did in fact kill him. We just haven't seen him around anymore. He may be just recovering. If he comes back I will do the same thing for the same reasons. More than likely if the owners are who we think they are, they don't care. After all, they didn't try to keep him safe as we do for our dogs.
So yeah I get your point.
I don’t have a problem with you shooting a destructive dog on your property , but you should do it humanly . Using a .22 and shooting it in the ass is inhuman and cruel .

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
As a dog lover I feel for the family, prayers!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don’t have a problem with you shooting a destructive dog on your property , but you should do it humanly . Using a .22 and shooting it in the ass is inhuman and cruel .
Perhaps you are right. If I had used my Federal Flight Control buckshot he certainly would not have survived at all. I thought about it. Hell, I should have maybe used my 7mm08. That would have worked at a great distance. I could have brought down in the field across the street. Or even further down the street where all the houses are. Oh yeah, I could've used something else, but anything else would have been more dangerous in the area I live in. I guess you would have to see my property and what would have been damaged or potentially more dangerous than the .22. Maybe the real cruel people here are the owners who didn't keep him safe and away from other people's property? Believe me, if I could have called Animal Control to take care of it I would have.

·
19,611 Posts
If the dogs were shot for being a nuisance I could see that person taking the collars to find out who is responsible for the dogs.
Another reason to make sure it was reported to local Law Enforcement.

In areas where I've lived/visited, if a dog was chasing/harassing livestock and it was (legally) "stopped", usually the collar was turned-in to Law Enforcement with a statement so the dog owner could potentially be held responsible for any injury to the livestock that might surface later.

EDIT: But that was a loooong time ago. Don't know if it's still handled that way.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
UPDATE ON SURVIVING DOG

Surgery is complete ... the dog had one leg amputated ... the hip is fractured and has been pinned back together.

It appears this dog have been shot 5 times, one round destroying the hip. Does that sound like a 22LR?

I haven't seen the dog yet ... nor the owner. I talked to him on ZOOM today and as angry as he is he thinks he should just cool off for a few days or he might go out looking for trouble.

I wouldn't want him looking for me with blood in his eyes. I like him a lot and I know this is hurting him a lot. He told me he had a bad dream last night but didn't want to talk about it much.

He said he'll ride one of his newly broken horses down to see me on Saturday ... he's wanting to split some of my wood ... manually.

We've got a fishing trip yet to go, on horseback and he always provides the horses.

Disturbing times.
I've gotta buy another case of beer.
.... or two.​

·
19,611 Posts
Does that sound like a 22LR?
No. Nor does the through-and-through wounds you described earlier on medium-size dogs sound like .22LR damage. Have him ask the vet if they recovered any bullet fragments. If it was a jacketed high-velocity centerfire, there will probably be copper fragments in the wounds near the bone strikes. If any metallic copper-zinc jacket fragments are found, it was a centerfire, not a .22LR.

The other dog should be checked for the same thing, if possible (not a pleasant task, though).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Put up fliers around drinking establishments. Some reward money for a lead. More for arrest and conviction. Alcohol makes people talk about scruff they normally wouldn’t. Good luck in your truth hunt. I hope you catch the scumbags.

DROBIAZG

·
Registered
15,183 Posts
UPDATE ON SURVIVING DOG

Surgery is complete ... the dog had one leg amputated ... the hip is fractured and has been pinned back together.

It appears this dog have been shot 5 times, one round destroying the hip. Does that sound like a 22LR?

I haven't seen the dog yet ... nor the owner. I talked to him on ZOOM today and as angry as he is he thinks he should just cool off for a few days or he might go out looking for trouble.

I wouldn't want him looking for me with blood in his eyes. I like him a lot and I know this is hurting him a lot. He told me he had a bad dream last night but didn't want to talk about it much.

He said he'll ride one of his newly broken horses down to see me on Saturday ... he's wanting to split some of my wood ... manually.

We've got a fishing trip yet to go, on horseback and he always provides the horses.

Disturbing times.
I've gotta buy another case of beer.
.... or two.​
I'm with you. When a man gets the kind of pissed-off that won't go away within a few hours there is nothing like hard manual labor to ease the soul a bit.

I sure do feel for those dogs and hope the survivor does recovers well. I'm sure the vet told your friend dogs do quite well on three legs.

·
19,611 Posts
Put up fliers around drinking establishments. Some reward money for a lead. More for arrest and conviction. Alcohol makes people talk about scruff they normally wouldn’t. Good luck in your truth hunt. I hope you catch the scumbags.

DROBIAZG
I'd suggest doing this, with one modification: Wait a month or two before you post the flyers.

In a month or two, he might have already told several people about it, but if you put up the flyers now, he might see them and be more careful and not say anything. Also, a cash reward carries more weight right before the holidays, when some folks or families might be short of cash.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I'd suggest doing this, with one modification: Wait a month or two before you post the flyers.

In a month or two, he might have already told several people about it, but if you put up the flyers now, he might see them and be more careful and not say anything. Also, a cash reward carries more weight right before the holidays, when some folks or families might be short of cash.
Interesting strategy, especially the let him talk before he sees the flyers. I like it.

I really would like to see the perp(s) caught as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Just wondering what a shock collar costs. Enough to kill the dogs for their collars?
Shock collars only don’t really cost that much, high end almost $100? So I don’t think that was the motive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
If someone is going to shoot the dogs while not on the property, it makes sense. But, to climb the fence to retrieve the collars of the dead dogs on their own property? Doesn't make sense.

An invisible fence that covers 40 acres doesn't make sense.

A 22LR going clear through with enough power to break a bone doesn't make sense.

Shooting 2 dogs several times rather than once each through the head doesn't make sense.

The dogs hanging around after being hit once, or multiple times doesn't make sense. If you shoot a coyote and don't kill him dead, he hauls ass injured and all.

A lot doesn't make sense... :headscratch:

81 - 100 of 105 Posts