A Buddy's Dogs Just Got Shot......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Sep 27, 2020.

1. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Has anyone checked the wires to see if all or part of of their collars is still attached (the D-ring)? If a dog lunges hard enough, and the collar or snap-link hardware is worn/rusty enough, something can give. And if that happens the dogs are loose and gonna do what dogs do -- run around. Especially a pair of youngsters.

To me, the fact that the were found widely separated is a sign they were loose, or possibly, that the one that survived moved away from the other dog after being shot. If they were shot and then dumped, they would be found together, especially in rough terrain; there's no reason (sane or insane) to do otherwise.

Were they both found within the normal coverage span of their wire leads?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Inyo Tim likes this.
  2. DJ Niner

One of the breeds we had growing up was a Beagle. Nothing like their song when on-scent.

treg and redrick like this.

3. redrick

redrick

I ran 2 of them this morning . I am training the puppy . I love starting a new puppy .

DJ Niner likes this.
  4. Rotn1

Rotn1

Odd. You encourage countless feral cats to destroy the local bird and small mammal population yet you proudly boast about your inept shooting while insuring a dog has a slow and painfull death.

rogn, n2g, nmk and 3 others like this.
  5. sasqwatch2

sasqwatch2

The second may not be that far off, but instead of burglary, it's prep for poaching on the property.

6. Rotn1

Rotn1

Agree.
    I would think there is a high probability that whoever shot the dogs was a patron of the gun range.
    If the range has daily records of attendees and sign in sheets there may be a way to narrow the candidates.

7. DJ Niner

Agree with reporting it to the police, if it hasn't been done already.

Someone may talk (stupid people often do, especially if drunk), and the Sheriff needs to know about it if something is to be done. If there is no report of dogs being shot locally, and the cops get a report about a drunk bragging about killing dogs, it probably ends right there.

n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  8. fisher101101

fisher101101

Might be onto something here. The OP said they can the shock collars to keep them on the property. My guess is someone removed them intentionally so they would venture off property.

9. Lazy R

Lazy R

This seems quite unlikely to me, knowing the location and layout of the gun range, and the description of what happened to the dogs.

Rotn1 likes this.
  10. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Do some collars have locator devices?
    ETA: Did some research. Some collars have both wireless fence and gps tracking.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  11. 1bigK

1bigK

Multiple thru and thru for both animals rules out accidental or ricochet from the range.

The missing collars is really bothering me too. Suggests to me that they are trophy’s to remember having shot the dogs, makes me also wonder what else this/these idiots have shot as well.

I suggest, if your friend is able to, post notices seeking information and a reward for that which would help lead to an arrest(s). Maybe there have been other such shootings in the area? Probably nothing happens, but you never know? And for sure nothing happens if he does not try.

Some people are truly a$&holes and a waste of good oxygen. Something Borg Warner said recently along the lines of “People have the right to be stupid, but some surely abuse that privilege”.

I am sorry for the guys’ dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  12. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

OT, that sounds like something I should consider for our lab pup. He's a big goofy dog that has no idea anyone could try to hurt him so I keep him inside when I'm not home. Way too trusting, usually runs up to strangers with his favorite toy in his mouth, wants to play catch. Thing is that I've been considering putting in an invisible fence to give him some off-leash freedom when I'm home. After reading this though I really would want privacy fencing too.

Back on topic, the missing collars thing really bugs me, really does sound like a trophy. I'd do everything I could to protect my remaining pup if that was me, too many sickos in the world. Dogs are generally trusting, puppys doubly so, so it takes a special kind of sick ******* to hurt one. Hope he gets what he deserves, and soon.

Hope everything turns out okay for the owner and his remaining dog.

Grumpy

Rotn1, Inyo Tim and 1bigK like this.
  13. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

That's a theory. And a pretty good one, too.

Just wondering what a shock collar costs. Enough to kill the dogs for their collars?

Inyo Tim likes this.
  14. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I call them 'pups' because he offered me my choice of the litter to replace the dog we just lost at that time.

I've got a couple of pixs of his dogs - but the ones that were shot are a couple of this litter - and they are 'pups' to me. Of course, that's because I haven't actually seen them for almost a year and my memory of them as pups is what I have for a mental picture - that's all....

another Bo dog.jpg

For the record, this mostly all black one was to replace the all black dog we had to put down a while back....... my_dog_my_tractor.jpg
    1/2 Black Lab 1/2 Border Collie

.... who was a replacement for this dog ....

IMG_20121216_221317.JPG
    1/2 Chow 1/2 Golden

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

15. BlueBacker

BlueBacker

This was a serious question. People are going insane these days.

Inyo Tim and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  16. LinuxLover

Yeah - they were on the property and for what it's worth - if Bo says they were only allowed to be on the property, that's where they'd be. The electric collars were put on them as very young dogs (I didn't say puppies) and they learned by rote that it hurt to go outside the fence line.

I'm sure that's the way it was.

As to them being about 1/4 mile apart - he thinks the one that survived was trying to run away and collected a few rounds for his effort. The entry wounds - except one - were in the hind quarters - so if it was leaving - that's kinda normal.

But I like the thought that cooler minds are prevailing here and that they seem to be police since they are prying especially hard to find a reason - er, motive.

That's the kinda feedback we want.

Inyo Tim and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  17. LinuxLover

No - no political signage at all. No flags or even a name on the posts outside the gate.... just an address.......for the fire department and --- well - we don't have any paramedics here - so that's a bust.... ahem!

Inyo Tim and BlueBacker like this.
  18. fisher101101

fisher101101

Not even so sure it was about getting the collar. Could be they just wanted to shoot the dogs and wanted to make it look like they were somewhere they should not have been.

1bigK, DJ Niner and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. bruscifer

bruscifer

I am sorry if that sounded like a boast because I didn't mean it too. I had tried to scare him off with before by just shooting around him. That didn't work. That morning he was moving pretty fast and I only had time to get a couple of shots off. I wasn't really aiming and just happened to hit him with that one shot. Like I said I was trying to get in position to get an aimed mercy shot in before he took off and I wasn't going to shoot anymore because it would not have been safe.
    I wasn't just trying to protect the cats, but also my property. I have video evidence of the particular dog destroying property. As for the cats I have never seen any evidence of them hurting any birds although I am sure they have since that is what cats do. However, my wife keeps them pretty fed and they don't need them for food around here. There is no shortage of birds around here, so if they are killing them they aren't making much of a dent.
    Funny, but I used to have a big problem with voles that I've tried several techniques to get rid of. I haven't seen them since we started keeping the cats. Is that why? I don't know but I've noticed after years of trouble I haven't seen them.
    I have found evidence in the back yard of MY DOGS killing birds. They are well kept and DON'T GET OUT NOW. In fact, one did get out a few months ago and SOMEBODY else SHOT HIM. That was a well-aimed shot.
    It hit his chest ran along under the skin and came out the other side. It looked like a killing shot. He was just lucky it didn't actually enter his chest cavity. Someone WAS trying to kill him. I don't blame them. It's a long story about how I finally managed to keep that dog in the yard.
    Anyway, I get your point. I did NOT want to hurt the dog let along kill him, but in my area, it was the only option I have of solving the problem. I don't KNOW that I did in fact kill him. We just haven't seen him around anymore. He may be just recovering. If he comes back I will do the same thing for the same reasons. More than likely if the owners are who we think they are, they don't care. After all, they didn't try to keep him safe as we do for our dogs.
    So yeah I get your point.

motorcycleman, 1bigK and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. Rotn1

Rotn1

Thank you for your response.
    It is not for me to judge your actions from a great distance with only partial information. I should have minded my own business and given you the benefit of the doubt
    Folks do the best they can with the circumstances they have to deal with; as I’m sure you intended.