GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
19,613 Posts
So - I don't think they were out of bounds at all. Besides, if they were, would the perp drop the dogs in two widely different areas minus their collars? One dog was over 1/4 mile away from the other.

The "missing collar thing" is most bothersome.....
Has anyone checked the wires to see if all or part of of their collars is still attached (the D-ring)? If a dog lunges hard enough, and the collar or snap-link hardware is worn/rusty enough, something can give. And if that happens the dogs are loose and gonna do what dogs do -- run around. Especially a pair of youngsters.

To me, the fact that the were found widely separated is a sign they were loose, or possibly, that the one that survived moved away from the other dog after being shot. If they were shot and then dumped, they would be found together, especially in rough terrain; there's no reason (sane or insane) to do otherwise.

Were they both found within the normal coverage span of their wire leads?

·
19,613 Posts
I have 7 dogs ranging in age 7 years old to a puppy I kept from a breeding . He is 14 months old now and I still call him the puppy . He still acts like a puppy to me , but he is starting to stand up to the older dogs now and cocking his leg . My dogs are beagles . I use them for rabbit hunting and pleasure running after the season . My dogs are run all year long but on the hottest days , a few times every week . They love running a rabbit and I love watching and listening to them .
One of the breeds we had growing up was a Beagle. Nothing like their song when on-scent.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Where I live we have no animal control. We also have lots of idiots that let their dogs run amok in the area. Sometimes people bring Dogs out here and dump them. It's is bad enough that I take my pistol with me when I take out the trash because I never know what might show up and try to bite me.
My Wife has more or less set up a haven for the feral cats in the area. She feeds them and had me make shelters for them on our porch for them. Ok, so every once in a while some stray comes through and chases and kills the cats. The cats don't bother anybody. They run from me instead of trying to bite me. No mice problems around here ya know.
A month or so ago we started having a Dog run through. He chased the cats and stole their food, and ran off more than once with their food bowls. He overturned plant pots and other things on OUR porch. We knew it because we saw it on our Ring and Bling cameras. We tried to scare him off with a BB gun but it didn't stop. We posted on Social Media about it...no response. So I made a plan. We checked with the Sheriff's dept. they more or less said 'do what you have to do'.
I placed a 10-22 at the back door. I planned to flank him if I got a chance. Finally, it happened.

I was on GLOCKTALK and I heard my wife yell. I ran to the back door got the gun and went outside. I saw him north of us so I snuck to the porch and waited in ambush. Sure enough just as I thought the little turd came running up the porch to cause mayhem. I carefully aimed and shot at him hitting him with the third shot. He was fast so I had to shoot several times making sure my shots were in a safe direction. I got him somewhere in his ass. I was moving for a clear, safe finish shot but he ran off before I could finish him. I have no idea if I killed him or not, but we have not seen him since. So the point is. I did not want to hurt the Dog, but I have a right to not be bothered by strays on my own property. Dog owners are RESPONSIBLE for their DOGS and if they don't bear that responsibility then the Dog will. I don't LIKE IT but I will take care of it.
Odd. You encourage countless feral cats to destroy the local bird and small mammal population yet you proudly boast about your inept shooting while insuring a dog has a slow and painfull death.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is he feuding with any of his neighbors? Does someone want to get rid of he furry alarm system as a lead up to a burglary (although I think this is really reaching.) Sadistic random act (more worrying if you know about the relationship between serial killers and animal killings.)

I'd think the first one is the most likely, and the other too are overly paranoid.
The second may not be that far off, but instead of burglary, it's prep for poaching on the property.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
Human garbage with guns. report it to the police and the shooting range
Agree.
I would think there is a high probability that whoever shot the dogs was a patron of the gun range.
If the range has daily records of attendees and sign in sheets there may be a way to narrow the candidates.

·
19,613 Posts
Agree with reporting it to the police, if it hasn't been done already.

Someone may talk (stupid people often do, especially if drunk), and the Sheriff needs to know about it if something is to be done. If there is no report of dogs being shot locally, and the cops get a report about a drunk bragging about killing dogs, it probably ends right there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The dogs could have ranged a pretty good ways, both from home and from the shooting location while trying to get back home. The 22 casings may or may not be related, not enough info to know.

To me, the more disturbing aspect (besides the obvious) is the removal/disappearance of the collars. Plural. One possibly dislodged. But two? Not likely.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a future burglary or robbery so quickly. Particularly if people in the area know your Buddy is deaf. Maybe even more so if they don't know he's deaf. One tripwire eliminated as it were.

I'd be thinking of visual based alarm system and/or cameras for the home. That, and being adequately armed.
Might be onto something here. The OP said they can the shock collars to keep them on the property. My guess is someone removed them intentionally so they would venture off property.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Agree.
I would think there is a high probability that whoever shot the dogs was a patron of the gun range.
If the range has daily records of attendees and sign in sheets there may be a way to narrow the candidates.
This seems quite unlikely to me, knowing the location and layout of the gun range, and the description of what happened to the dogs.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
That rules out accident or ricochet from the gun range. Some people out there are just sick in the head.
Multiple thru and thru for both animals rules out accidental or ricochet from the range.

The missing collars is really bothering me too. Suggests to me that they are trophy’s to remember having shot the dogs, makes me also wonder what else this/these idiots have shot as well.

I suggest, if your friend is able to, post notices seeking information and a reward for that which would help lead to an arrest(s). Maybe there have been other such shootings in the area? Probably nothing happens, but you never know? And for sure nothing happens if he does not try.

Some people are truly a$&holes and a waste of good oxygen. Something Borg Warner said recently along the lines of “People have the right to be stupid, but some surely abuse that privilege”.

I am sorry for the guys’ dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Do some collars have locator devices?
ETA: Did some research. Some collars have both wireless fence and gps tracking.
OT, that sounds like something I should consider for our lab pup. He's a big goofy dog that has no idea anyone could try to hurt him so I keep him inside when I'm not home. Way too trusting, usually runs up to strangers with his favorite toy in his mouth, wants to play catch. Thing is that I've been considering putting in an invisible fence to give him some off-leash freedom when I'm home. After reading this though I really would want privacy fencing too.

Back on topic, the missing collars thing really bugs me, really does sound like a trophy. I'd do everything I could to protect my remaining pup if that was me, too many sickos in the world. Dogs are generally trusting, puppys doubly so, so it takes a special kind of sick ******* to hurt one. Hope he gets what he deserves, and soon.

Hope everything turns out okay for the owner and his remaining dog.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Might be onto something here. The OP said they can the shock collars to keep them on the property. My guess is someone removed them intentionally so they would venture off property.
That's a theory. And a pretty good one, too.

Just wondering what a shock collar costs. Enough to kill the dogs for their collars?

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Just curious; any reason a breed was never mentioned? It shouldn't matter in this type of case, but it does to most people. I'd expect a much different reaction from most people if they were Chihuahuas or Toy Poodles, or even Labs/Setters, vs. something like a Rottweiler/GSD or larger Bulldog/Mastiff mix of some type. Also strange that you called them pups; most dogs at a year old wouldn't be called pups (short for puppies) anymore, they should be nearly adult-size by then (but maybe this is just a regional/local/personal slang term for younger dogs?).
I call them 'pups' because he offered me my choice of the litter to replace the dog we just lost at that time.

I've got a couple of pixs of his dogs - but the ones that were shot are a couple of this litter - and they are 'pups' to me. Of course, that's because I haven't actually seen them for almost a year and my memory of them as pups is what I have for a mental picture - that's all....

another Bo dog.jpg

For the record, this mostly all black one was to replace the all black dog we had to put down a while back.......
my_dog_my_tractor.jpg

1/2 Black Lab 1/2 Border Collie

.... who was a replacement for this dog ....

IMG_20121216_221317.JPG

1/2 Chow 1/2 Golden

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Has anyone checked the wires to see if all or part of of their collars is still attached (the D-ring)? If a dog lunges hard enough, and the collar or snap-link hardware is worn/rusty enough, something can give. And if that happens the dogs are loose and gonna do what dogs do -- run around. Especially a pair of youngsters.

To me, the fact that the were found widely separated is a sign they were loose, or possibly, that the one that survived moved away from the other dog after being shot. If they were shot and then dumped, they would be found together, especially in rough terrain; there's no reason (sane or insane) to do otherwise.

Were they both found within the normal coverage span of their wire leads?

Yeah - they were on the property and for what it's worth - if Bo says they were only allowed to be on the property, that's where they'd be. The electric collars were put on them as very young dogs (I didn't say puppies) and they learned by rote that it hurt to go outside the fence line.

I'm sure that's the way it was.

As to them being about 1/4 mile apart - he thinks the one that survived was trying to run away and collected a few rounds for his effort. The entry wounds - except one - were in the hind quarters - so if it was leaving - that's kinda normal.

But I like the thought that cooler minds are prevailing here and that they seem to be police since they are prying especially hard to find a reason - er, motive.

That's the kinda feedback we want.

·
Ba-nan-nah-nuh
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
This was a serious question. People are going insane these days.
No - no political signage at all. No flags or even a name on the posts outside the gate.... just an address.......for the fire department and --- well - we don't have any paramedics here - so that's a bust.... ahem!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Odd. You encourage countless feral cats to destroy the local bird and small mammal population yet you proudly boast about your inept shooting while insuring a dog has a slow and painfull death.
I am sorry if that sounded like a boast because I didn't mean it too. I had tried to scare him off with before by just shooting around him. That didn't work. That morning he was moving pretty fast and I only had time to get a couple of shots off. I wasn't really aiming and just happened to hit him with that one shot. Like I said I was trying to get in position to get an aimed mercy shot in before he took off and I wasn't going to shoot anymore because it would not have been safe.
I wasn't just trying to protect the cats, but also my property. I have video evidence of the particular dog destroying property. As for the cats I have never seen any evidence of them hurting any birds although I am sure they have since that is what cats do. However, my wife keeps them pretty fed and they don't need them for food around here. There is no shortage of birds around here, so if they are killing them they aren't making much of a dent.
Funny, but I used to have a big problem with voles that I've tried several techniques to get rid of. I haven't seen them since we started keeping the cats. Is that why? I don't know but I've noticed after years of trouble I haven't seen them.
I have found evidence in the back yard of MY DOGS killing birds. They are well kept and DON'T GET OUT NOW. In fact, one did get out a few months ago and SOMEBODY else SHOT HIM. That was a well-aimed shot.
It hit his chest ran along under the skin and came out the other side. It looked like a killing shot. He was just lucky it didn't actually enter his chest cavity. Someone WAS trying to kill him. I don't blame them. It's a long story about how I finally managed to keep that dog in the yard.
Anyway, I get your point. I did NOT want to hurt the dog let along kill him, but in my area, it was the only option I have of solving the problem. I don't KNOW that I did in fact kill him. We just haven't seen him around anymore. He may be just recovering. If he comes back I will do the same thing for the same reasons. More than likely if the owners are who we think they are, they don't care. After all, they didn't try to keep him safe as we do for our dogs.
So yeah I get your point.

·
Registered
13,057 Posts
I am sorry if that sounded like a boast because I didn't mean it too. I had tried to scare him off with before by just shooting around him. That didn't work. That morning he was moving pretty fast and I only had time to get a couple of shots off. I wasn't really aiming and just happened to hit him with that one shot. Like I said I was trying to get in position to get an aimed mercy shot in before he took off and I wasn't going to shoot anymore because it would not have been safe.
I wasn't just trying to protect the cats, but also my property. I have video evidence of the particular dog destroying property. As for the cats I have never seen any evidence of them hurting any birds although I am sure they have since that is what cats do. However, my wife keeps them pretty fed and they don't need them for food around here. There is no shortage of birds around here, so if they are killing them they aren't making much of a dent.
Funny, but I used to have a big problem with voles that I've tried several techniques to get rid of. I haven't seen them since we started keeping the cats. Is that why? I don't know but I've noticed after years of trouble I haven't seen them.
I have found evidence in the back yard of MY DOGS killing birds. They are well kept and DON'T GET OUT NOW. In fact, one did get out a few months ago and SOMEBODY else SHOT HIM. That was a well-aimed shot.
It hit his chest ran along under the skin and came out the other side. It looked like a killing shot. He was just lucky it didn't actually enter his chest cavity. Someone WAS trying to kill him. I don't blame them. It's a long story about how I finally managed to keep that dog in the yard.
Anyway, I get your point. I did NOT want to hurt the dog let along kill him, but in my area, it was the only option I have of solving the problem. I don't KNOW that I did in fact kill him. We just haven't seen him around anymore. He may be just recovering. If he comes back I will do the same thing for the same reasons. More than likely if the owners are who we think they are, they don't care. After all, they didn't try to keep him safe as we do for our dogs.
So yeah I get your point.
Thank you for your response.
It is not for me to judge your actions from a great distance with only partial information. I should have minded my own business and given you the benefit of the doubt
Folks do the best they can with the circumstances they have to deal with; as I’m sure you intended.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts