A Buddy's Dogs Just Got Shot......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Sep 27, 2020.

1. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Some people don't deserve to be using up oxygen.

1bigK, Ollies930 and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Future serial killer in his area, probably a teen pre teen with a bowl of **** for a brain .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. John Watson

John Watson

Hope he reported it to the police and to the range officials, or had someone do that for him. Just incase there are future issues on his property.

motorcycleman, 1bigK, n2g and 2 others like this.
  4. redrick

redrick

I would go or have the police talk to the people on the other side of the fence .

I live in a rural area and I have people that just turn lose their deer dogs about 2 months before the season starts to get in shape . I know it is not the dogs fault for coming on my property and I have my own hunting dogs ( beagles ) but it does piss me off when they disturb my hunt or training . During deer season I don’t even rabbit hunt on Saturday’s because of them . They hear my dogs running a rabbit and come to the hunt and mess my dogs up . I will shoot any cat that I see on my property . They are one of the most destructive animals on the planet .

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    E-2-E and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

This is the very unfortunate reality.

1bigK, Gfive45 and Inyo Tim like this.
  6. Scott1970

Scott1970

Any chance they were messing up someone’s deer hunt? I know plenty of hunters who will smoke dogs for running deer, especially the young ones.

7. mikeashurst

mikeashurst

I hope the perp(s) get caught and prosecuted. No need to shoot dogs like that. It's very sad. Praying for your friend.

Gfive45 and n2g like this.
  8. bruscifer

bruscifer

Where I live we have no animal control. We also have lots of idiots that let their dogs run amok in the area. Sometimes people bring Dogs out here and dump them. It's is bad enough that I take my pistol with me when I take out the trash because I never know what might show up and try to bite me.
    My Wife has more or less set up a haven for the feral cats in the area. She feeds them and had me make shelters for them on our porch for them. Ok, so every once in a while some stray comes through and chases and kills the cats. The cats don't bother anybody. They run from me instead of trying to bite me. No mice problems around here ya know.
    A month or so ago we started having a Dog run through. He chased the cats and stole their food, and ran off more than once with their food bowls. He overturned plant pots and other things on OUR porch. We knew it because we saw it on our Ring and Bling cameras. We tried to scare him off with a BB gun but it didn't stop. We posted on Social Media about it...no response. So I made a plan. We checked with the Sheriff's dept. they more or less said 'do what you have to do'.
    I placed a 10-22 at the back door. I planned to flank him if I got a chance. Finally, it happened.

I was on GLOCKTALK and I heard my wife yell. I ran to the back door got the gun and went outside. I saw him north of us so I snuck to the porch and waited in ambush. Sure enough just as I thought the little turd came running up the porch to cause mayhem. I carefully aimed and shot at him hitting him with the third shot. He was fast so I had to shoot several times making sure my shots were in a safe direction. I got him somewhere in his ass. I was moving for a clear, safe finish shot but he ran off before I could finish him. I have no idea if I killed him or not, but we have not seen him since. So the point is. I did not want to hurt the Dog, but I have a right to not be bothered by strays on my own property. Dog owners are RESPONSIBLE for their DOGS and if they don't bear that responsibility then the Dog will. I don't LIKE IT but I will take care of it.

9. redrick

redrick

If you are going to kill a animal at least be humane and use the right caliber so that it doesn’t run off and suffer .

10. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott "Gary" is now a part of my past

Wow...unfortunately I can believe there are people who would do something like that. After all they will film themselves committing unprovoked attacks on senior citizens. Sadly, cruelty isn't limited to people in the big cities. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. :(

1bigK, n2g and Inyo Tim like this.
  11. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Just awful. I really dislike A-holes

1bigK, Green Dragoon and n2g like this.
  12. Jonesee

Jonesee

If it is out in farmland or ranch land those things happen when the dogs become a nuisance to others. A dog can range quite a ways during a day and if they ran some cattle or other livestock it may substantially shorten their life.

A 22 makes sense because it is quiet. What doesn't make sense is why the shooter wouldn't make a head shot and be done with it.

Also there are just bad people out there. We lost a mule when it was shot from the road. No good reason for it to be shot, someone just wanted to kill it.

Your neighbor may never know who or why. I'd find a way to keep the one last dog on the property and close to the house.

Green Dragoon and Inyo Tim like this.
  13. napp32

napp32

A few years ago, we had some random shootings of cows and horses in pastures that bordered a public road. The shootings happened over a period of about 5 weeks. Two teenagers were finally arrested and charged with the shootings....no apparent reason for their actions.

14. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Collectively ---> he has those range-limiting collars on the yearlings to make sure they stay on the property. There are buried wires that activate a shock collar when they wander too far.

So -- I'd think that getting into trouble off the property is a non-entity. The nearest public (but dirt) road is over 1/2 mile away, so no-one would even know he was there.

He has no political signage, no offensive anything - even his language is PG and he reads lips quite well - good enuff that you'd think he can actually hear your words. But he can't.

He is one of the most innocuous guys I've ever known and wouldn't say "poop" if he had a mouthful.
    He's "Cowboy Calm" and I'm constantly reassured by his lack of adrenaline in almost all situations.
    He DOES however, exude cool macho --- in a Marlboro cigarette commercial-kinda way.​

I don't see him as a problem to/for anyone ... his well kept and well trained dogs, less-so.

1bigK, mj9mm and n2g like this.
  15. LinuxLover

What's the best caliber for trout?
    .... asking for a friend who's watching me type - over my head, behind me ......

motorcycleman, Haldor and Inyo Tim like this.
  16. LinuxLover

(OK - I had to lighten this up a bit).................

Inyo Tim likes this.
  17. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

Really sorry to read about your friend's loss.

I can't suggest enough that he put up some privacy fencing in the area where his surviving dog is allowed to run, something that will keep the perp from being able to fire at a distance. I know that it sounds cruel, not allowing the dog to have as much freedom as previously, but the ******* that killed one and wounded the other is still out there. Predators like the scum that shot his dogs like to return to the site of their crimes and if it were my dog I would be very afraid to lose it the same way. Any sicko that gets off on shooting someone else's pets could be a serial killer in training, so your friend needs to beef up security, particularly since his hearing is an issue. If the perp actually got onto his property I would suggest putting in some motion sensors and perimeter alarms that can trigger a telephone's vibration alarm, since he can't hear someone entering by stealth.

Good luck to him and my prayers for his loss,
    Grumpy

n2g, BlueBacker, 1bigK and 2 others like this.
  18. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

The dogs could have ranged a pretty good ways, both from home and from the shooting location while trying to get back home. The 22 casings may or may not be related, not enough info to know.

To me, the more disturbing aspect (besides the obvious) is the removal/disappearance of the collars. Plural. One possibly dislodged. But two? Not likely.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a future burglary or robbery so quickly. Particularly if people in the area know your Buddy is deaf. Maybe even more so if they don't know he's deaf. One tripwire eliminated as it were.

I'd be thinking of visual based alarm system and/or cameras for the home. That, and being adequately armed.

mc1911, 1bigK, DJ Niner and 1 other person like this.
  19. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

1) feuding neighbors 2) young male delinquents 3) pre-teen boys found dad's .22 rifle :cowboy:

1bigK and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There was a guy who built heavy fences, got buffalo. Right off a highway. Big metal buffalo sign hanging. Nice looking pens...
    Few yrs later sign is down, Buffalo not by road... place sold.

I didn’t think anything until I saw similar setup @10 miles away In remote area. Then I found out the sign was repeatedly **** at from the road. (House, buildings behind). And the Buffalo were shot repeatedly. Mostly injured, some had to be destroyed, meat couldn’t be salvaged.

There are some nasty people.

1bigK, mj9mm, Inyo Tim and 2 others like this.