Glock Talk banner
101 - 120 of 378 Posts
Originally posted by GoGoGophers
A Glock is a recoil operated pistol.
looks like you are partially right. very partially...
glockfaq.com
The G-26, like most Glocks, operates on the modified Browning, locked-breack, delayed blowback system. In this system, the square top front of the chamber area mates to a cut in the top front of the ejection port in the slide. The two parts remain locked together as they move backwards in recoil, until the ramped lug on the bottom of the barrel, hits the locking block in the frame. At that point, the angle of the barrel lug engaging the locking block cams the barrel downwards, while the slide continues rearward in a staight line. The barrel soon stops, while the slide continues rearward, with the extractor, having engaged the rim of the cartridge, removing the spent case from the chamber.

In the G-28, much of this operation is the same, with one primary exception. Because the pressures of the 380ACP (9mm Kurz) are so low, there is only enough residual energy to function the action, so there can be no delay, or too much energy will be bled away to maintain reliability. In order to cancel the modified-Browning systems locking mechanism, you will see a substantial portion of the breach block on the front of the chamber-end of the barrel has been milled away. This means that the locking of the action is accomplished completely by the recoil spring and the inertia of the slide at rest. When a round is fired, the slide almost immediately starts to the rear, but there is nothing keeping the barrel locked to it, so although the barrel is also moving to the rear, it is not tied to the slide. You will also note a machined ramp on the inside rear of the slide, which mates with the ramp machined on the top front of the breach block of the barrel. This reduces resistance and allows the barrel and slide to move past each other more easily and freely, again reducing any locking force.

For those who can't read very well:

Properly loaded ammunition = a round of ammo

IMProperly loaded ammunition = a small bomb

There, make sense now?

Frankly, I think that the whole kB! thing is a little overblown.

I had a 9mm model 19 from the first generation that I had for four years without any problems-got it in the divorce from first hubby. I also had a third generation (FWE prefix) model 23 for about eight months this past year and fired about 700 rounds of WWBs from Wal Mart and about a hundred Cor-Bons through it without a problem. I traded it off not because it sucked, but because (1) hubby is stuck on his Steyr M9 and wanted me to go down to 9mm so we could save money at the range by sharing ammo (9mm is a good bit cheaper than .40); (2) the Glock's grip is a little fat for my small hands (had that problem with my old 19 too, to a lesser extent because of the different grip on the 1st generation gun); and (3) I hit better with the 9mm anyway.

I got a Fabrique Nationale FNP-9, one of the milspec ones made by FNMI in Columbia, SC. Last two in the serial number was 59 and the gun came off the FNMI production line in the last week of June 2004. What a piece of crap that was. It wouldn't feed from a full magazine. And it had a busted firing pin spring right out of the box-I never even got to shoot it one time!! We hustled back to the shop and talked to the owner-a great guy. He took a look at it and was like "Well, hell. Never expected that! Look, I set one aside for me and I'll let you have it instead. How about that?"

We took him up on it. The last two of the new FNP's serial is 61, it was made two guns after the other one, on the same day. Just like the first one, it had three 16 round mags and felt great in my hand. It's a lot like a SIG P-226, but polymer-framed and small enough in the grip for a woman's hand (I find the SIG a little large-gripped too). And unlike no. 59, no. 61 is a nail-driver. It feeds full mags, no problem. I even drew a smiley face on a silhouette target with it! Two hundred rounds of WWB 115 grain and a thorough cleaning later, I was a totally satisfied customer with a big smile on MY face and a new FNP-9 stoked with 17 rounds of 115 grain Cor-Bon 9mm +P (1,350 fps and 446 ft/lb energy) stashed in the gun pocket of my purse.

The moral of this story is that obviously the first FNP I had came out of the factory with a broken firing pin after the test-firing, some sort of manufacturer's defect. The second FNP is an excellent handgun indeed and one we'll be keeping a good long time, I think. I like the DA/SA setup, with the 10-pound pull on the decocked action it is safe to carry locked and loaded (again, like a SIG only thinner and a bit lighter), and I like the large capacity the 9mm provides.

Such it is with Glocks. With the HUGE numbers of Glocks out there in the world, it only stands to reason that sometimes they'll get bad steel, goof a casting, have a quality control foulup...or just get some bad ammo...and the result is the infamous kB!. It shouldn't reflect on the thousands of *good* Glocks of all calibers out there in the hands of cops, military folks, civilians all over the world. We hear more about Glock blowups in the gun world because there are so many of them. The Glock is today what the .38 snubby was when I was growing up: Everyman's gun. It's ubiquitous.

(edit) Epilogue: I missed my 23 so much I got another one. ;Q . Should have stayed with it, darnit.

Miao, Cat

Originally posted by WalterGA
Has my KB thread been hijacked, or what?? :)
Yes it has (or was), unlike all the other threads here on GT, that stay exactly on-topic!

Protect your turf, Walter... fame can sometimes be but a fleeting moment, if not properly "cultivated".

PS : A Glock is a recoil operated pistol. ;)

um, help me out KB? Katistrophic blowup.... how about Killer Barrel, i have no frickin clue here. maybe there should be a tab up top, like by the "donations" tab in which you can put definitions for us young bucks.. just a thought.

Why is it that on glock furoms they always tell you to AVIOD certain bullets, but in Hk furoms or other gun furoms, they tell you what bullets you BEST to use.

The point is, glocks blow up because they use crap ammo. Any gun that uses crap ammo will blow up. But GLOCKS have a higher chance of blowing up because of it's design. AKA they are lower quality firearms

It is recommended that you should get a jarvis or other barrel that is fully supported in order for a glock to not blow up =)

Originally posted by newgunner
Why is it that on glock furoms they always tell you to AVIOD certain bullets, but in Hk furoms or other gun furoms, they tell you what bullets you BEST to use.

The point is, glocks blow up because they use crap ammo. Any gun that uses crap ammo will blow up. But GLOCKS have a higher chance of blowing up because of it's design. AKA they are lower quality firearms

It is recommended that you should get a jarvis or other barrel that is fully supported in order for a glock to not blow up =)
Ummm hmmmm.;Q

I met a guy in Baltimore many years ago who had been firing a .38 and after several rounds the gun stopped working. As it turned out he had a squib round stuck in the barrel and the following slugs stacked up behind it until the last one kept the cylinder from indexing. The gunsmith had to melt the lead out of the barrel and noticed that the back strap had stretched. Lucky for the shooter he had a heavy all steel gun, the loads were light and the cylinder gap allowed the gas to escape so the gun did not KB. A lighter weight gun or heavier loads may have resulted in the gun blowing apart or serious injury.

The point is that many factors contribute to a KB and the composition and strength of the gun are among them.

101 - 120 of 378 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.