Glock Talk banner
81 - 100 of 378 Posts
Originally posted by Regal
;Q My 26 has only shot aprox 100 rounds and the other day after 6 rounds blew in my hand, factory federal load, the magazine blew apart, spring ect. plastic SOB flew all over, blew the slide lock lever and spring out gouging my hand pretty good. First frickkin gun that ever exploded in my hand. IMHO these guns are not very safe.
What Federal factory load were you using?

;Q My 26 has only shot aprox 100 rounds and the other day after 6 rounds blew in my hand, factory federal load, the magazine blew apart, spring ect. plastic SOB flew all over, blew the slide lock lever and spring out gouging my hand pretty good. First frickkin gun that ever exploded in my hand. IMHO these guns are not very safe.
email federal and smyrna, I think both would like to see the gun and any left over ammo.

i shouldn't have read this . . i always wanted a glock, i finally get one, an you guys are tellin me it might K.B . . in my hand? .. what ammo do i NOT use? . . i use hydra shocks, and there are a few I.Q's in there too.. any comments on the IQ bullets.. 65 grn? i shoot the cheap bullets at the range an keep the H.S an I.Q for self defence.. is that the right thing to do.? . . i do that with my rugerp90.. and its been fine.. but you got me worried about my glock19 now.. any comments are welcome.. ;P

Originally posted by Mr.GLOCK19
i shouldn't have read this . . i always wanted a glock, i finally get one, an you guys are tellin me it might K.B . . in my hand? .. what ammo do i NOT use? . . i use hydra shocks, and there are a few I.Q's in there too.. any comments on the IQ bullets.. 65 grn? i shoot the cheap bullets at the range an keep the H.S an I.Q for self defence.. is that the right thing to do.? . . i do that with my rugerp90.. and its been fine.. but you got me worried about my glock19 now.. any comments are welcome.. ;P
WalterGA would prescribe Paxil. I'll just say STOP WORRYING! Don't shoot (naked) lead bullets. Don't shoot commercially reloaded ammo from some guy at a gun show. Don't shoot your friend's reloads. Buy Factory ammo. If you reload, do so carefully.

It is true that the big ammo factories occasionally make a mistake, but such mistakes are rare. It is also true, as Walter has pointed out, that a case failure is NOT a KB! Glocks don't blow up unless subjected to excessive pressure. ALL guns can blow up if subjected to more pressure than they were designed to handle.

At the range I go to, there is a display case behind the counter which holds two big S&W N-frames and a bull-strong Ruger Blackhawk. All had serious KB! events. It can happen to any gun.

Millions of Glocks in this country consume hundreds of millions of rounds (collectively) each year safely. I have personally fired over fifteen thousand rounds through my various Glocks, including my reloads, in the past two years. None of my Glocks has blown up.

Relax and enjoy your Glock. Shoot it often. You are the owner of one of the finest, if not THE finest, fighting pistols available. ;c

Nice post, Walter.

Remember that with any product sold at high volume more problems can be reported. If Glock had defects in design a logical person could expect many more reports from many sources as to such KB failures.

Incidentally, that sounds like a case failure, not a KB! Unless your slide and barrel were damaged, that is. Were they?

Yesterday my father and I went out shooting -- some of you may have read the thread I started.

He brought his .44mag Super Blackhawk, and we were shooting ~12 year old many times again reloaded ammo. Out of the ~60 rounds we wanted to burn thru we had three rounds split the brass/case down the side.

My question is, if a case rupture like that would have happened on one of my many GLOCK's, would it most likely end up in a major failure??

Thanks, and so far my GLOCK's have performed near flawlessly. The only problems I've had was with Fiocchi (or however it's spelled) .45ACP rounds. Out of 50, 230gr FMJ rounds I had two that didn't go off and one that failed to eject. (Stuck in chamber as if it expanded or something.)

Originally posted by Mr.GLOCK19
LoL.. . i'll try not to worry .. . and i'll have to look into the paxil LOL. . thanks again . .;z
DO NOT WORRY. Although case failures happen in all makes of firearms (you just never know). Glocks are first rate pistols and for what it's worth I believe that the 9mm Glocks are usually the last Glocks to have the "kb!kb!" finger pointed at it.

I feel bad for anyone who has had a major case failure but at the same time I have nothing but the utmost confidence with my G17. These pistols have been through some of the most rugged testing and are worthy of your trust.

I know a guy who had his little Nissan hatchback blow up but I'd still take a ride in one. KB's? Forget about it. Enjoy your awesome pistol. If you look hard enough you can read someone's horror-story about almost anything.

Don't get me started on that time I almost poked my eye out with my pillow...lol

JR

I guess the concern I have is with the effects of a case failure on the gun and my hand. KB or no KB...it is the end result that I am worried about. "Good news...it was the ammo not the gun. Bad news....your right hand is permanently damaged."
I have witnesses a case failure in a Sig P229 in .40.
An ugly sound with flames shooting out of strange places was heard/seen. The magazine flew out of the bottom. That was it. The gun/ammo was checked over, mags reloaded and away it went.
It should be a concern with any polymer framed pistol. Not just Glocks.
I am dying for a 15 round pistol in .357 Sig. The G31 is the only pistol to currently fill that niche.
I am hesitant to buy one.
I carry a G33 from time to time. I had a FFL friend in need who sold it to me NIB for $380. It was hard to pass up.
It never goes to the range with me. I don't want to put a lot of rounds thru it. If I bought a G31 it would be so I could put it into my shooting rotation. I shoot around 1500-2000 rounds a month so it would get a lot of rounds of Federal American Eagle 125 gr FMJ in a year.
15 rounds of .357 Sig is very, very appealing......but in the back of my head I would definitely worry.

somebody was bringing up quantum physics or something and how it cannot possibly relate to overpressure in the chamber of a glock resulting in a KaBoom, but that is actually not really the thing to be looking at here.
the oversize chamber at the 6 o clock position allows the brass to bulge a bit, resulting in many possible failures. one can be that once the brass has bulged it can hang in the chamber and does not allow the slide to cycle which builds pressure in the barrel. and then i guess we all know what happens next. or do we need to take a college course to tell us that if the brass can't exit the chamber, and if the bullet can't exit the barrel, then all the stuff in the middle has to go somewhere. remember that autopistols depend on blowback to function.
yes, reloaded brass can be weaker, making this possibility more probable. rarely, factory ammo can have poor brass. however you look at it, it is POSSIBLE, however unlikely.
now with all that said, i sure hope to god nobody has to suffer any kind of injury from indulging in such a wonderful sport as handgunning and reloading. good luck to all you guys who reload. i used to do it myself. i hope you don't get hurt.

welp, in a blowback gun, as the primer is fired and the powder burns, the brass usually begins moving rearward a bit. then as the bullet leaves the barrel, the pressure in the barrel "blows back" to slam the casing further rearward to rack the slide.
if the casing is bulged or weak, it can crack, allowing too much pressure to escape while the bullet is still in the barrel. if too much pressure is allowed to escape before the bullet exits the barrel (in other words, the pressure can no longer propel the bullet forward) and if the blowback is not powerful enough to move the casing further back, the pressure builds to a high enough level in the barrel to cause rupture. (maybe this can also happen if a crappy primer pops out after being fired)
the hole or tear in the brass is usually not large enough to allow all the pressure that is needed to propel the bullet forward and the casing backwards. if in some case a really large tear formed in the brass and was somehow able to travel rearward enough to cycle the slide and another round, then you may end up with a bullet still lodged in the barrel. upon the next round being fired, a barrel rupture is expected.
also, if the casing bulges enough, in an extreme example, it even hits the top of the clip, not allowing the slide to cycle properly.
*whew* and i only have a basic knowledge of how this all works, i am sure there is some guy out there who can expalin blowback and everything in a really scientific way. i think i remember reading that as the bullet exits the barrel, it creates a vacuuum therein, and then the implosion (not explosion) is actually what cycles the slide. maybe i got that part wrong, but it seems like that's what i read.
can anyone explain this better?

Originally posted by godawful
welp, in a blowback gun, as the primer is fired and the powder burns, the brass usually begins moving rearward a bit. then as the bullet leaves the barrel, the pressure in the barrel "blows back" to slam the casing further rearward to rack the slide.
if the casing is bulged or weak, it can crack, allowing too much pressure to escape while the bullet is still in the barrel. if too much pressure is allowed to escape before the bullet exits the barrel (in other words, the pressure can no longer propel the bullet forward) and if the blowback is not powerful enough to move the casing further back, the pressure builds to a high enough level in the barrel to cause rupture. (maybe this can also happen if a crappy primer pops out after being fired)
the hole or tear in the brass is usually not large enough to allow all the pressure that is needed to propel the bullet forward and the casing backwards. if in some case a really large tear formed in the brass and was somehow able to travel rearward enough to cycle the slide and another round, then you may end up with a bullet still lodged in the barrel. upon the next round being fired, a barrel rupture is expected.
also, if the casing bulges enough, in an extreme example, it even hits the top of the clip, not allowing the slide to cycle properly.
*whew* and i only have a basic knowledge of how this all works, i am sure there is some guy out there who can expalin blowback and everything in a really scientific way. i think i remember reading that as the bullet exits the barrel, it creates a vacuuum therein, and then the implosion (not explosion) is actually what cycles the slide. maybe i got that part wrong, but it seems like that's what i read.
can anyone explain this better?
So,...

You're saying that there is sufficient pressure to tear a hole in a case -??but not sufficent pressure to push a bullet out of the barrel??

So are you talking about a case that is weakened to start with?
Or are you saying that this happens with a perfectly good case, due to the Glock design?

Are you also saying that AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel there is pressure that moves the slide?

Originally posted by philkryder
So,...

You're saying that there is sufficient pressure to tear a hole in a case -??but not sufficent pressure to push a bullet out of the barrel??

So are you talking about a case that is weakened to start with?
Or are you saying that this happens with a perfectly good case, due to the Glock design?

Are you also saying that AFTER the bullet leaves the barrel there is pressure that moves the slide?
yes to number one. it is easier to tear a hole in weakened brass than it is to push the bullet out of the barrel. but what is important here is that gas begins to leak from the hole, taking away from the pressure needed to propel the bullet forward.

to number 2- the case has to be faulty or weak to begin with. the enlarged part of the chamber in glocks can allow this to happen, i had a full auto m-11 that bulged the rear of the brass also.

to number 3, yes, the shell casing begins moving when the shell is fired, but moves mostly when the bullet leaves the barrel. think about it, if the casing exited immediately upon firing, what would the pressure behind the bullet have to push against in order to propel itself forward? if you look at a profile of most autoloaders you see that the barrel tilts when the slide is cycled. if the bullet moved slower, or at the same speed of the rearward-moving casing, then the bullet would fire high every time. i don't know the difference between blowback and delayed blowback, i'll have to look into that one.

I have shot over 69,000 rounds in my G19 and have had no problems.

However, I have witnessed issues with .40 and .357 sig glocks.

I think if one examines the process by which these pistols were designed and marketed, you could easily see where Glock has created some problems for themselves.

I will stick with 9 or 45, the way Gaston meant for them to be.

I believe the Kb that you are trying to discuss hear would fit this description :

spiral crack on frame starting on right side of pistol leading clockwise descending the grip; most of chamber gone from the barrel; ejected magazine; slide release and magazine release gone; slide stuck on frame rails that have been bent upwards; -- THis was with factory ammo.

I was standing about 12 feet away and got hit in the eye by a piece of metal (I think part of the chamber).

Wiley X sent me a few pairs of glasses for my testimonial.

Next time you have a pair of calipers, measure the chamber support on the .40 and the 9mm barrel; then ask yourself which one has to standup to more pressure.

Originally posted by KerrtMoremin
AUL GOLCKS BLOE UHP¡¡
Jsut assck Deen Spier. The krangcky oaled farght... >;[
Dude....WTF is wrong with you? I know that I shouldn't even be typing a response to your posts, but I would really like to know what your deal is. If you can't communicate in an intelligent manner, then maybe the internet isn't for you. I would suggest that you stick with legos or some other children's toy to keep yourself amused, but I wouldn't want to feel responsible for you putting them in your mouth and choking on them. ;e

81 - 100 of 378 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.