A Bit of Chronograph Data

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DonD, Feb 25, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD

Was at the range today, if it was physically possible I'd have kicked my own a**. Wanted to do some work with my new Ruger SR1911. Had everything I wanted, chronograph, Underwood ammo, and reloads, sandbag, targets etc, EVERYTHING but the most essential, the mags!! One of those days. Too much going on, both wife and I have the "crud".

So made the best of a bad start and chronographed the Beast, aka S&W 500 Mag 8 3/8" barrel.

So, 52.3gr of AA1680 and a 423gr hard cast came to 1709 fps/2743 ft lbs.

Tracks pretty well with Accurate Arms data which is done with an unvented pressure barrel which probably results in about 75 fps higher velocity than an actual revolver according to AA.

Load is remarkably low pressure for a 500, 52.8gr is the listed max at 47,758 PSI, nothing for a round that was intially SAAMI'd at 60,000psi. Don

pike bishop, Berto and FullClip like this.
  2. -JCN-

-JCN-

I’ve done that and hand loaded cartridges one at a time, determined to get done what I set out to get done!

FullClip likes this.

3. DonD

DonD

I would have but it's my understanding that dropping the slide on a round already chambered in a 1911 isn't a good procedure. Perhaps I'm wrong. Don

Edited to add that I'm a newbie where 1911s are concerned and don't want to use inappropriate procedures with the new gun so I'll err on the side of caution.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    -JCN- and FullClip like this.
  4. -JCN-

-JCN-

I don’t think dropping a slide on a chambered round is a good idea with any gun.

My method in these situations is to ease the slide down gently and then help the extractor over the lip by pushing on the outside “lever” to hinge it upwards or by using a wood dowel or something soft to help lift it over.

5. DonD

DonD

I'm not responding here to be cranky. When you say "lever" are you dealing with a S&W style extractor or a conventional 1911 extractor that the Ruger uses? Don