close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A Big Move....With Cats

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by hemlock0013, Dec 28, 2006.

1. hemlock0013

hemlock0013

My wife and I are planning a very big move (Honolulu to the Washington, DC area) for Spring 2007. We have two male cats that we will be taking with us. Both are healthy, and are a bit over two years old.

I am desperate for any advice regarding transporting our cats. Ideally I’d like to take them in-cabin as carry-ons, but it appears many airlines don’t allow this on transpacific flights. The idea of sending them as checked baggage frightens me, but I might not have a choice. I’m also curious as to anyone’s experience with professional pet transporters like Pets Away.

Again, any advice/thoughts/experiences would be helpful. I’d especially like to hear from anyone who has made similar Hawaii-to-East Coast moves.

Thanks,
    Hemlock0013

2. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

what airline are you flying on???

I would call that airline and tell them you would like to transport the cats IN the cabin, they should allow it. I do know that for most if not all airlines do charge like 50-75 bucks for carrying a pet in the cabin.......also ALL airlines make sure you have up to date shot records for the cats.......the vet can give you all that. I would never transport my cats UNDER the plane either......it is nasty down there, noisy and cold. They will do better with your voice reassuring them that they are "OK".

also.......you need to see your vet before your trip, he/she will likely tell you to curtail food and drink somewhat before hand and you can ask for tranquilizers for the cats.......I would never travel without doping the cats.

When you finally get to your destination make sure you leave the cats INSIDE.......they are gonna be confused and will try to run away. I suspect your boys are both indoor ONLY cats like my 2 boys. Just be careful that they do not bolt out the door at your new residence.

Good luck!!

3. vwaldoguy

vwaldoguy

We bought both of our dogs from a breeder in Texas. The breeder shipped the pups to us in Nebraska via Continental Airlines. Many continental planes have special pet compartments in the baggage bin that are pressure/temperature controlled. Both dogs survived the trip without any trouble at all, and were no worse for wear. It was very easy, and and with the pressure/temp controlled compartments, it wasn't bad at all for them.

4. J T

J T

Definitely talk to your vet before the move. We've never done a trans-anything flight with our cats, but we drove cross-country from CA to FL a few years ago, and without the kitty downers, I think we'd all have lost our minds.