Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t find any 10mm snap caps for dry fire practice at my local G stores.
Can I use a 40 s&w cap without any issues?
Thx’s KB.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
No. A proper snap cap holds a Firing Pin's impact shock-absorbant structure in the primer pocket. There is nothing at a 40SW snap cap case mouth in a 10mm chamber to hold the case head against the breechface. The Firing Pin will strike the back of the breechface without any substantial beneficial effect from the snap cap in front of the breechface.

BTW, contrary to popular myth Glock does not approve their pistols for extensive dry firing. Brittle fracture of the slide's breechface is not uncommon in Glock pistols so abused.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/breachface-failure.1825356/

Reactions: fastbolt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that!..kinda never got much from any dry firing. Learning to run the gun at the range with live rounds is where it’s at anyway...Thx’s
KB.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No. A proper snap cap holds a Firing Pin's impact shock-absorbant structure in the primer pocket. There is nothing at a 40SW snap cap case mouth in a 10mm chamber to hold the case head against the breechface. The Firing Pin will strike the back of the breechface without any substantial beneficial effect from the snap cap in front of the breechface.

BTW, contrary to popular myth Glock does not approve their pistols for extensive dry firing. Brittle fracture of the slide's breechface is not uncommon in Glock pistols so abused.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/breachface-failure.1825356/
Wouldn’t the extractor hold the snap cap case against the breachface?

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
the extractor will hold the cap against the breech face, just like shooting 40S&W in a 10mm. It would be better to get a 10mm cap, but it will work. If you want to remain a barely able shooter all of your life, then don't dry fire. If you want to get better, or even really good, the dry fire with a snap cap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts