GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lots of scenarios where the A-10 shines.
Close air support.
Is an F-35 going low enough to be within range of AAA or just rifles?

Reactions: glock1097

·
Moved on...
9,704 Posts
On second thought, I Removed this comment because this is NOT the political issues forum.
My mistake...

·
Moved on...
9,704 Posts
I didn’t know Fox sports broadcasters made Air Force decisions. :headscratch:
Well, they don't but, their comments frosted the hell out of me!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lot more air defense missiles than in the past lot more portable too. And the cannons are in the 30-35mm not 23mm any more. I like the idea of a dedicated ground attack aircraft. But doesn't seem to be any serious effort in getting an updated replacement.

·
AAAMAD
30,434 Posts
Lots of scenarios where the A-10 shines.
Close air support.
Is an F-35 going low enough to be within range of AAA or just rifles?

The AF does not perform CAS anymore. That’s the Army’s gig with rotary wing assets.

The AF provides stand off engagements out of surface threat envelopes.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
10,596 Posts
Obviously a Rolling Stones fan is the A-10..."...not fade away..."

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Black Snakes had F16s prior to the A10s and their missions then were also ground support when deployed and CAP over Chicago for awhile after 9/11. For awhile I think they were in line for the 35 but that was pulled when the AF decided to keep the A10.

·
Registered
30,852 Posts
The AF does not perform CAS anymore. That’s the Army’s gig with rotary wing assets.

The AF provides stand off engagements out of surface threat envelopes.
What do you think of the S-97 Raider? Is it a way to boost speed but still have the pop up and shoot of the Apache? Get close to fixed wing speeds without doing anything goofy like the Osprey?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i love that plane!!!
i read an article where one brought
the pilot safely home with half of a wing
blown off... pretty cool

Reactions: BOOSTED12A

·
AAAMAD
30,434 Posts
What do you think of the S-97 Raider? Is it a way to boost speed but still have the pop up and shoot of the Apache? Get close to fixed wing speeds without doing anything goofy like the Osprey?
I like the concept. Will be excited to see how it matures. Same for the Valor.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
The problem with brrrrrt is you have to be flying low and slow to hit anything and doing that against anybody more advanced than insurgents and warlords, means you end up as a smoking hole in the ground.

Our adversaries have had 45 years to figure out how to shoot down an A-10 (first flight was in 1972). The only reason we were able to use them in the Gulf War was because Iraq was armed with obsolete Soviet AA weaponry and we had complete air superiority. The A10 is no longer survivable against even a 3rd class military power, let alone anyone we are likely to actually go to war with.

An A-10 makes for a miserable missile platform and modern MANPADS make using the brrrrrt virtual suicide.
Missles aren't always the answer. The AF and navy learned that in Vietnam with the F4.

The Army can’t afford the A10.
Plus when the Army started getting helicopters, the airforce and navy had hissy fits.

I know the F35 is waaay more advanced than the A10 but it costs over 4 times per hour to operate versus the A10....correct me if I'm wrong.
Plus, how much per plane?
Also, the A10 has proven itself while the 35 has yet to do so, at least in battle.

Keep in mind, i don't want this to be construed as an F35 bashing post.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,208 Posts
Missles aren't always the answer. The AF and navy learned that in Vietnam with the F4.

Plus when the Army started getting helicopters, the airforce and navy had hissy fits.

I know the F35 is waaay more advanced than the A10 but it costs over 4 times per hour to operate versus the A10....correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, the A10 has proven itself while the 35 has yet to do so, at least in battle.

An F16 would make a much better ground attack plane than an A10 does in today's environment. Despite what they cost, I hope for our nation's sake that the F35 really is a wonder.

·
NRA Life Member
28,427 Posts
Oh Snap,

A US Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt accidentally dropped a training weapon on Korea, and no one knows where it went

"The US Air Force has had several problems with its A-10s accidentally releasing munitions during training. Last year, there were two such incidents in the US.

In July 2019, a Thunderbolt collided with a bird over Florida, causing it to inadvertently release three training munitions over the state. The Moody Air Force Base aircraft dropped three BDU-33s, which are 25-pound non-explosive training munitions used to simulate 500-pound M1a-82 bombs.

Then in September of last year, a Davis-Monthan Air Force Base A-10 unintentionally fired off a M-156 rocket outside of the designated firing range. "

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-air-force-10-thunderbolt-202130805.html

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Missles aren't always the answer. The AF and navy learned that in Vietnam with

Half the A10s that were made, were sent to the boneyard. Which maybe the biggest reason they are cheap to maintain. Lots of spare part on hand.

·
Patrol Corporal
857 Posts

Used to live near Barksdale AFB when they had A-10's. My house was on a runway approach.

If you hear them flying about; it is a sound you can't forget.

:flag:
When we are near the Ocala bombing range we can sometimes hear them open up with the Avenger.
It sounds like, victory.

Reactions: willie_pete

·
Patrol Corporal
857 Posts
I am very glad the A10 is getting a new lease on life.
It is a shame it has had to fight for its life before it ever gets in theater.
It is a unique aircraft that excels at its job.
I’d like to see the F35 match the loiter time of the warthog, hit as hard as the GAU8/A, and survive the abuse and stay in the air.

It’s a child of the disco era but I am happy it lives on.

Reactions: willie_pete

·
Registered
30,852 Posts
Half the A10s that were made, were sent to the boneyard. Which maybe the biggest reason they are cheap to maintain. Lots of spare part on hand.
Kind of reminds me of stories from WWII where the mechanics would deadline a problematic plane rather than try to get it fly and use it for parts.

·
Why so serious?
64,738 Posts

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,149 Posts
Very exciting upgrades which garuntees the bird will be around awhiles. With the new wings, and hopefully new engines to follow, the A-10 is set for another 20+ years of service. There is simply no other bird that can do what it can.

And now with the ability to drop precision munitions if a troop can get a light on it then the A-10 can kill it. Most exciting will be the intro of the laser guided AGR-20 APKWS II Hydro's and hopefully soon the SDB with its tri mode seeker. The A-10 will be able to chuck out a bunch of these while standing off from 6 to 40 nm away and with the SDB the enemy simply can't hide from it.

It will be a new lease on life for the tank killer and as a support plane for rescue its Loiter time and ability to fly low and survive is unparalleled. With its new software and equipment it will be able to make one pass and scoot, blowing up every target in its path.

Don't ask me why but USAF always hated the attack/support mission for ground troops and to expect a $90 m stealth plane to do the same thing from 40,000' up is insane.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts