9mm woods load?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mc1911, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Terry G

Terry G

I didn't mean to bump this off course. My point was if a 9MM is considered too small maybe it's time to look at any handgun as being not appropriate to the task. The whole M-1 thing I brought is that can't bring any handgun to Canada for self defense and the eight shot Garand is the exception to the five shot semi-automatic rule. It was posted that a handgun is handier if your working or being involved in some activity making a rifle too cumbersome by all means power up. I'd still rather have a rifle. IMG_0908.JPG

NoStress and agtman like this.
  2. Master Guns

Master Guns

The post mentioned if all you had was a 9mm which load would you use? Then some of you started up with DONT use 9mm. Use an M1 or a Bazooka or whatever else.. can’t some of you just stick to the subject.. Damn.

3. Terry G

Terry G

I would choose my CZ P-09 that would hold 20 rounds of 124 Grains of Golden Saber +P+. I would be carrying one IMG_3407.JPG 19 round spare magazine of the same. I would save the last round for myself.

4. Out West

Out West

How about the new military 9mm 115gr flat point? +1300 fps. Should offer plenty of penetration.

Intolerant likes this.
  5. Master Guns

Master Guns

A 9mm hard
    i never knew they made a GS +P+. I can’t find it? Did you load those?

6. Master Guns

Master Guns

I just got some of those. I haven’t shot them yet. Winchester M1152

Out West likes this.
  7. Terry G

Terry G

SORRY! I hit too many P's. It's just +P.

Master Guns likes this.
  8. Terry G

Terry G

I KNEW I has some +P+. Federal 115 Grain. I have four boxes and I can't remember where I bought them. Might have been S&G or Sportsman's Guide.

9. Master Guns

Master Guns

Some of these +P or +P+ loads don’t give the best penetration. Someone earlier brought up the 115Gn M1152 load at 1309FPS it’s a flat point. That is a good choice again something big due to deep penetration

10. Terry G

Terry G

Probably better penetration for sure. These Federals are White Box and I'm thinking maybe a little too hot for the Hellcat, maybe just The G17 and CZ 75. What do you think?

11. Master Guns

Master Guns

I have some of those white box Federals in +P+. That is an old load. Not made anymore. That is cool that you still have some

12. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Dude, focus. o_O

This Fuddley stands ready to slay all manner of bears (and other hostile, backwoods creatures with fangs and claws) with his most awesome Robar-customized M1 ... Note, if you will, the forwarded-mounted Leupy 2.5x scout scope in low mounts.

Sure, he could carry a 9-minimeter on his hip. But wisely, he chooses not to. It would be just more weight as well as combat-ineffective.

IMG_0093.JPG

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :cool:

ironhead7544 likes this.
  13. unit1069

unit1069

If I was limited to 9mm for woods duty I think I'd try to find some old school soft point lead rounds. I've never found any but a lot of folks endorse their effectiveness across the board.

14. Master Guns

Master Guns

I ask this in all seriousness.. what would be the difference in a lead flat point vs a FMJ FP? If velocity and weight are close?

15. NoStress

NoStress

Gee. It is hard to play this game when you already own better options.
    It is not like you are going out in the woods one time, a 9 is all you have, and want to know the best ammo to use. Most people that get shot, survive being shot. A great number of them CHOOSE to stop doing what they were doing and not because they were incapacitated. No wonder that it does not seem to matter much what caliber a person carries for self defense. You are probably going to have to kill a large animal though and a solid bullet at least will penetrate better and maybe reach the spine. If you are determined to carry a 9 in an area where you might run into a big aggressive black bear, against the advice of just about everyone that is credible, then it probably wont matter what ammo you stuff into it. Nothing you can put into it is going to justify using it over one of the larger caliber weapons you already own.

16. banger

banger

The part of this story I don't get is......

Guns are cheap.

Why would anyone who feels the need to be armed, hamstring themselves with such a marginal caliber.

For goodness sake, buy a handgun that is more suitable to the task.

Mountain10mm likes this.
  17. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

9mm + 1mm = 10mm = woods load.

18. Master Guns

Master Guns

Wow what an enlightening post. Maybe I should get a 11.5 MM. (45ACP) for woods.

19. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

An 11.5 would be better than a 9 for this purpose.

As Banger mentioned, another gun is a better option. I concur. I believe in the right tool for the job, and 9mm is not a woods gun IMO - by far better than nothing, but no ammunition is going to turn it into a 357mag, 10mm, 41mag, 44 mag, etc. The OP's question, is like asking what rock crawling tires should I get for my Subaru?

20. tango44

tango44

HORNADY CRITICAL DUTY 135 +P