9mm woods load?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mc1911, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mc1911

mc1911

Thoughts on a woods load for 9mm. Not other calibers.
    This would be for protection against two leggers, feral dogs, coyotes, ornery deer and very rare possibility of black bear or cougar.

Any reports on real world experience would be great and appreciated.

2. unit1069

unit1069

My best guess for the categories you list would be Federal 135-grain Tactical Bonded +P and/or Federal 147-grain HST +P

PRKJayhawk, rustytxrx, Cpt.J and 2 others like this.

3. scattershot

scattershot

Buffalo Bore makes a load they call the Outdoorsman or something like that. Guy in Alaska killed a grizzly with that load.

Other than that, I would choose the 147 grain, for the penetration.

mc1911 likes this.
  4. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I carry some 124gr gold dots over a charge of CFE in range brass. I have 20 cents a round invested total (got a good deal on the bullets). The other day I cut loose on a opossum. DRT.. should have laid down a dollar bill for size comparison, maybe next time.

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

I wouldn't change anything for woods carry in 9mm that didn't apply for EDC.
    In my case that would be good +p 124gr jhp Gold Dot, Golden Saber or HST

6. 835mag

835mag

124gr XTP+p

pAZ Ron, Tuco 44 and ruffhunter like this.
  7. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

The heaviest bullet moving as fast at it safely can. No hollow-points. You pick.

Macc283 and Out West like this.
  8. ScottMn

ScottMn

I would stick to my HST's for anything but black bear. If you think they're a real threat then it would be Underwood Hardcast. HST's do well on coyote's.....that I know for sure.

9. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

Average velocity 1010 fps out of the Sig P365. The Buffalo Bore +P Outdoorsman round.

(Note: I say jug 4 but it really is jug 3.)

It clocks at an average of 1058 fps out of my Glock 19, and sails through 8 unclothed water jugs.

This is the load that Phil Shoemaker used against the bear in Alaska.

10. dartor

dartor

Hornady 124gr XTP

835mag likes this.
  11. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

FMJ for the win. I'd say something like our soldiers carry - a hot FMJ round. I think alot of the European FMJ is loaded hotter than the US stuff. I've never actually seen 9mm FMJ +P advertised...

If you're going against larger animals (bear, deer) I'd want penetration. If only dogs and other "smaller than a person" animals, any good self-defense round would be good. I'd still go +P.

Quigley, Lagamor and Gray_Rider like this.
  12. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I hit a deer with a rental family van on vacation. His back legs were broken but he wanted to get away. I got about ten yards behind him and put a Winchester 115 STHP from my Beretta 92FS thru his head for a quick death.

Headshot11, Gray_Rider and orangeride like this.
  13. 1canvas

1canvas

The 9mm would be the last gun I would choose but if I did I would see if Underwood had any XTP loads. I think 9mm is too small for fmj or hard cast.

Gray_Rider likes this.
  14. Featherweight

Featherweight

I use 147gr Hornady XTP in 9mm. I live in Florida where things are relatively small. I carry .45 ACP buffalo bore outdoorsman or 10mm underwood XTP 200 grains where critters are bigger.

vba, Gray_Rider and Cpt.J like this.
  15. mc1911

mc1911

Thanks for your responses.
    I have a few 9mm guns and was looking for a general woods carry load. I am looking at underwood 124 gr. +P+ HP ammo.

I do have larger caliber guns but the 9's seem to follow me around more and more.

PatinAz and Gray_Rider like this.
  16. ScottMn

ScottMn

I'm not a ballistics expert and can only speak from a little bit of experience and research. I carry when I run my upland english setters to protect them from other dogs, coyotes, raccoons, porcupines , etc..... I've had one occasion to use my pistol when out in the field and at the time I was carrying standard pressure HST's in a 26 when a coyote decided to engage my dogs. One shot to the shoulder (I took two shots) took care of the problem nicely at about 15 yds or so.

The point of this is that I had to take multiple shots. I've shot only a few +P+ loads and they had more recoil than standard pressure loads. I can't say for sure, but with the amount of practice I get at live targets, follow up shots are easier with the standard pressure loads.

From what I've gathered, especially with hollow points, more energy does not always mean more penetration. This is very ammo/gun specific so don't take it a gospel with the Underwood and your gun. There are always trade offs but for me, I'll take less recoil for better follow up shots given my level of expertise.

If I think that I'm in an area that has larger "critters" the 357 is on my hip. More weight to manage recoil and I tend to be more accurate at longer ranges.

Good Luck.

Gray_Rider, Bus007 and mc1911 like this.
  17. Out West

Out West

Winchester Ranger RA9B, 147gr bonded jhp.

wyntrout likes this.
  18. Master Guns

Master Guns

The last gun you would choose??? Why would you take a 380 over a 9mm?

Quigley and pittpa like this.
  19. Terry G

Terry G

I carry a CZ P-09 with Golden Saber's. Nothing four legged really to worry about. The Coyote's here run like their tails are on fire when they scent a Dog or a Man. Lately I've been carrying a Ruger PC in 9MM loaded with 115 Grain FMJ also just for the heck of it, and a Glock 17 loaded the same way. Nice to be able to interchange magazines.

Master Guns likes this.
  20. fredj338

fredj338

What makes the 9mm viable today for a SD round is good JHP. So as a woods gun, it's gonna be lacking. I would probably handload 147gr XTP to 1000fps & hope I can place those shots well for anything bigger than a coyote or dog. In bear country, I would want more penetration & frontal area than any 9mm load offers.