close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm: what is the real story? dillon dies or other?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by lowepg, Aug 27, 2011.

1. lowepg

lowepg

Ok- I'm paralyzed trying to figure out what dies I need to get for my Dillon 550 in order to load 9mm.

On one hand- I'm hearing dillon press? Use dillon dies for best results.

On the other hand- I'm hearing about this potential case bulge issue that the dillon dies can't correct.

Arg.

I'm using a 3rd gen glock 34 and my intention is to load light to medium target loads for idpa (125g flu bullets).

So what is the right die set? I'm ok with paying a bit more for dillon dies- but not if they are in fact inferior for glocked 9mm brass?

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Dillon Dies will work just fine... I have run thousands through Glock fired brass no issues at all.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Well you shouldn;t be getting Glocked brass firing midrange loads in 9mm. I do use RCBS dies on my 550, but it is what I had back when I bought. I use Dillon dies on my 40s, & they do fine w/ brass that actually does guppy in a GLock. Any dies will work on the 550 though. DIllon are great, but there is really no huge advantage using them except in 357sig, the only carbide sizer.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I have had my best luck with Lee dies. I have had issues with Hornady seating die in 9mm. My lee are not fancy but every set I buy works. I do prefer the Dillon Crimp die for Lead bullets. But it's not a big deal. People know that if I could find something wrong with something I will. But my Lee dies never disappoint.

5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

I use both Lee and Dillon sizing dies. I like the Redding competition bullet seating die. If you plan on shooting lead I would get the Dillon just because they are easier to clean without disturbing the adjustments. I have had one Dillon die that the carbide ring came out. Called Dillon and they sent me a new sizer die. I have one Lee sizer die that is a piece of crap. Will not size the die far enough to prevent setback. Unless I’m only going to be loading just for a couple of rounds a year I do not buy my dies in sets I mix and match. Some I have 3 different die makes on one tool head.
    In most cases the Glock bulge is blown way out of proportion by people that do not like Glocks.

6. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

I've loaded a brazillion 9s on my Dillon with a carbide RCBS set.

7. lowepg

lowepg

Ok- so I get that if I already had dies - any would work- but if I need to BUY 9mm dies (no lead bullets, btw, all fmj), what's the best bet?

8. unclebob

How much you want to spend? Redding competition bullet seating die if you like to play with different COL or use different bullets. I would go with either Lee or Dillon.

9. lowepg

lowepg

I want to spend enough so that I dont ever have to buy another set later after learning I "cheaped-out" :)

Im going to be primarily cranking out practice loads for IDPA and Zombie matches.... not completely set on the recipe yet, but leaning towards 125g fmj's from precision delta.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. unclebob

Lee, Dillon, Redding.Unless you get a bad die and that can happen with any company. They all work. Make sure you take them apart and clean the dies before you use them. If you want a no question ask warranty then get the Dillon. Redding I do not know. Never had one break, Lee you have to send it back.

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I prefer Dillon dies but use a Lee factory crimp die in the 4th stage.

12. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

Dillon dies are all I use for 9mm FMJ.

Same thing for .45. Same for lead .38.

All I load for is IDPA comps.

I have NEVER had any issue with the dies on my 550.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Better yet, just buy another seating/crimp die of any brand unstead of the dreaded LFCD. A marketing concept for Lee's poor QC of their dies IMO.
    Reallly, all the manuf dies are fine, cabide only please. You'll get the poorest QC form Lee, sorry, just the facts. Everyone else throws a bad die now & then, but tough to go wrong w/ Redding, RCBS, Dillon or Hornady.

14. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

They either work or don't. I have spent more then Lee but never felt it was better. I have even used the Redding Comp Seater and for my lead bullets the Lee is MUCH better. The only dies I would not buy is RCBS. The ones I have seen have a HUGE funnel that makes sizing the base next to impossible in my experiance. Never used Lyman either (other then the M die). M Die works good. I prefer Lee.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I bought the Dillon dies when I got my 550B from Brian Enos' site. Probably ran 3000-4000 through with no problem.

It now wears a Lee sizing die and a Redding Competition Seating die (can change OAL with twist of a dial, can't do that with most others). You'll be fine with the Dillon's, you may find you want to swap some out later. The complete set of Redding Competition dies are expensive. Don't know that they're THAT much better, but you could go that way at the beginning if you want.

16. AZson

AZson

I use nothing but Lee dies but I agree on the LFC die.

17. lowepg

lowepg

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

It's just a Lee die that is slightly undersized. Avoid curing problems that don't exist. A regular Lee die will be better unless you need it (and you don't).

19. unclebob

I bought one and made the mistake of not testing the rounds and used them in a match. I had a bunch of key holes. The U die was the only thing that was changed. It cost me two first place wins. Or winning two Glocks.

20. VN350X10

VN350X10

This is one of the few times I'll disagree with fredj338.....
    Camdex makes fully automated loading machines for commercial applications, PD's or other extreme high volume users. A Camdex running full tilt will spit out around 4K/hr of 9mm, .45 ACP or .40 S&W, IF you can keep it fed.
    They cost upwards of $20K & they come factory set up with LEE dies installed.
    At this level of price, if the Dillons, RCBS, Hornady or Redding dies were better, they'd be in there; Cost of a die set vs. reliable operation is a moot point here.
    Nothing wrong with LEE dies. Except for my SDB, all of my Dillon presses use at least 1 LEE die in the setup.
    Don't be afraid to experiment with dies to find your best setup. My .44 Mag "set" uses Lyman, Dillon, RCBS & LEE, in that order, in my 550.

Load Safe !

uncle albert