Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
141 - 160 of 217 Posts

·
Enigma
2,746 Posts
The "debate" usually ain't about caliber. (Although some just won't come out and say it)

You will have to defend yourself against attackers wherever, which caliber do you not want?
9mm
45 acp
32 acp
Likely nobody eliminated 9mm or 45. (excepting physical limitation / fragility)

Most often when somebody is defending a marginal caliber it is really about preferred manner of dress and/or willingness to carry a decent gun than it is about caliber. But they usually don't just say it up front.
They post rationalizations:
"nobody volunteer to get shot by it"
"better than nothing"

Instead of the truth:
I ain't willing to carry in my "good area" if it involves more than sticking ____ in pocket.

9mm vs 45 acp ... Nah, Glock 30SF or Glock 26 either is better than a P32, 38 snub.
No, IME more like tucked versus untucked shirt, when work ain't a factor.

Reactions: fredj338

·
Registered
37,314 Posts
Yes, it does discredit purposeful choice of a .22. And it was .22 long, not LR. Ie., 29 gr bullet most likely.

But my take on her is different than yours. She wasn't bear hunting. She didn't ask for the encounter, was working a trapline with her male partner. Made a conscious decision that probably saved their lives.

Unless you think a native American squaw wouldn't know when she must shoot vs stay hidden. I'm not dumb enough to underestimate her. After stunning the bear with a perfect shot placement, she was smart enough to follow up till certain of outcome. I call that "cool under pressure". In this world, anyway. She sure as heck was no dork.

I agree completely with your take on the thread topic, tho.
Your political correctness is screeching. I could just gomtake a college class & here the same mundane tripe So you want to fixate, have at it. Your use of the story to prove a term ballistic point failed, my point.

·
Registered
37,314 Posts
I’m anxious for the conclusion of this thread when one of the calibers is declared the winner!
Maybe never? Before the internet itvwas debated by gun scribes in the rags.

·
Registered
37,314 Posts
Again, deep penetration actually being useful is a hit or miss proposition depending on whether or not the last inch or two of penetration actually hits something vital or not. Most of the time nothing vital is hit or a vital organ is already hit with less penetration. On the other hand a larger round with more expansion will do more damage with every shot, make a larger hole, than a smaller caliber round "of the same design".

WTF first you don't believe more velocity and energy tops the 9mm and now you don't believe that size tops the 9mm by using the old trick of pick and chose different bullet types to compare which of course invalidates the comparison.

Your 9mm fanboy zeal is reaching an advanced stage of progression bordering on loosing touch with ballistic's reality completely.

Reality check time 0.892 inches expansion.

Another fail gloveboy. So you think a slightly bigger hole not hitting vitals is just as good as a slightly smaller hole punching thru vitals? Again, your lack of actual field exp is glaring. If you truly believe that bs, you should ditch your high speed 9mm & go 45 all day. You are so confused. Remind me a bit of ole joe biden. You fall down the stairs recently?

Reactions: Teecher45

·
emeritus
4,849 Posts
Again, deep penetration actually being useful is a hit or miss proposition depending on whether or not the last inch or two of penetration actually hits something vital or not. Most of the time nothing vital is hit or a vital organ is already hit with less penetration. On the other hand a larger round with more expansion will do more damage with every shot, make a larger hole, than a smaller caliber round "of the same design".

WTF first you don't believe more velocity and energy tops the 9mm and now you don't believe that size tops the 9mm by using the old trick of pick and chose different bullet types to compare which of course invalidates the comparison.

Your 9mm fanboy zeal is reaching an advanced stage of progression bordering on loosing touch with ballistic's reality completely.

But the .45 sucks! Where's the energy dump? There is no energy dump. It's energy that kills! Don't you want the energy edge?

Are you saying there is more to this than energy dump? I want my energy dump back!

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,786 Posts
But the .45 sucks! Where's the energy dump? There is no energy dump. It's energy that kills! Don't you want the energy edge?

Are you saying there is more to this than energy dump? I want my energy dump back!
I don't think anyone here thinks it's energy that kills as though it's some type of force field that incapacitates the target. It's the bullet poking holes in things, but that bullet has energy behind it, otherwise it wouldn't do anything or go anywhere. More energy causes more damage and some of that damage is beyond what the bullet itself hits. How big of a factor is that as far as incapacitation is concerned? Hard to tell but more damage is more effective. To think that somehow doesn't apply to the human body is simply wrong.

·
emeritus
4,849 Posts
I don't think anyone here thinks it's energy that kills as though it's some type of force field that incapacitates the target. It's the bullet poking holes in things, but that bullet has energy behind it, otherwise it wouldn't do anything or go anywhere. More energy causes more damage and some of that damage is beyond what the bullet itself hits. How big of a factor is that as far as incapacitation is concerned? Hard to tell but more damage is more effective. To think that somehow doesn't apply to the human body is simply wrong.
You do not know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
They both carry work for me but I enjoy shooting 45 much more.:)

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
They both carry work for me but I enjoy shooting 45 much more.:)
I do too.
If I’m sitting on the bench with the pistol resting on sandbags, shooting a nice 1911.
If I’m training, the 9 wins every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

What vitals can be hit with shallow penetration?
Everyone that know anything about shooting for SD knows penetration over expansion.
Every single time.
Reality check.
From people who know a whole lot more about bullet performance than you:

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I’m anxious for the conclusion of this thread when one of the calibers is declared the winner!
The winner is the one you like.
Pick.
Vet.
Then.
Train with.
Because…
There’s no significant difference between the service calibers.

Reactions: archery68

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
You should watch the video I just posted, #155.
They’re not just people on the internet defending their choice of caliber/platform.
They design, develop, and build some of the best SD bullets in the world.
They are experts and know what they’re talking about.
Or.
You can choose to believe your feelings.
It’s faster/bigger, it’s gotta be better, right?

Reactions: M 7

·
I feel pretty.
4,483 Posts
I've got them all. Now that Glocks have a dual recoil spring, .40 is my favorite. My Gen3 is a little snappy. But my Gen4 is very nice.

Glock 41 for home defense and/or suppressed.

141 - 160 of 217 Posts