close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm Vs. .40 S&W in 3.5" barrel.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by GuyWithGun, Mar 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GuyWithGun

GuyWithGun

I just bought my wife a Walther PPS in 9mm that turned out to be about the same size and even easier to pocket carry than the J-frame Smith I have been carrying for years when I didn't want to dress around "my real guns". Have pretty much decided I am going to get another for myself for that purpose.

My first instinct was to get a .40 S&W because, if nothing else "Why not?", but there could be an issue with that gun's size and controlling that round. I am a big guy, and shoot alot, so don't think adjusting to it will be hard (especially after having that .38 bounce around in my hand all this time), but if the bullet loses alot of energy in the shorter barrel it may not be worth doing. I know the 9mm is a super-sweet shooter in that gun, if there isn't a tangible terminal ballistic difference, why take a chance on having to fight the gun?

Please allow me to set a few ground rules for this thread...

1) This is not a thread to debate which is better; a 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .338 Lapua... I don't care. I simply am having trouble finding good data to compare these two calibers in short barreled weapons.

2) This is not a thread to debate on what and if you should pocket carry.

Thanks for your help.

2. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

You tried to set ground rules in Caliber Corner? Silly man. :tongueout:

I'd think you'd have a little better performance with the .40... neither being to their full potential, but both would be adequate.

3. 1faSStchevy

1faSStchevy

I am hoping to do a ballistic test with GoldDots in 165gr and 180gr in my G27 soon. I will also be doing the same with my G26 and GD in 115gr. I'll keep you updated.

4. Eagle22

Eagle22

i am very happy with Federal HSTs 180g and Gold Dot 180g out of my G22 and G27. No accuracy issues with my G27

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Homunculus

I would have went with the .40, but I love the .40. The 9mm will however, ruin somebody's day. I carry my G27 all the time, and it has the 3.5" barrel, but I don't even think about it, it shoots so well and still packs quite a punch!

6. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I went back & forth about this a few months ago before settling on a G27. There's nothing wrong w/9mm (& I own one, too), but if you are comfortable w/40, then I'd say to range test a G27 to be sure it's a good combo of gun size & caliber for you, & make a decision from there. You may want to consider a G33 as well.