Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems a lot of people practice with standard velocity 9mm loads, but use +P or even +P+ loads for carry.

Do you think this could cause problems with the reliability of carry loads, esp as the recoil springs gets weaker, but is still ok for standard velocity loads? I realize people should shoot their carry loads on a periodic basis, even after their carry loads, pistol and mags have been established as good to go.

But I wonder how many people do continue to fire their carry loads after they have done some initial testing. I see as one virtue of the 40 caliber that there is no real difference in power between most range ammo and carry loads. Therefore, hopefully a weak recoil spring and too fast slide velocity would show up as a problem, during practice not during a serious situation involving the use of their +P or +P+ loads.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,907 Posts
Jack, you've made an excellent point. Few people check their recoil springs and replace them as regularly as the gun manufacturers recommend.

More powerful loads wear out the guns, and the recoil springs, somewhat faster. If we're always checking, it'll never bite us on the butt. As far as malfunctions, I see way more problems of light loads failing to cycle slides than I see slides cycling too fast from hot loads to properly pick up the next round due to weakened recoil springs.

I like to have a spare recoil spring, factory new, always on hand. Each time you field strip the gun for cleaning, compare the current recoil spring to the new one if you haven't been keeping meticulous count of rounds fired. When it's two or three coils shorter than the new one, throw out and replace. Works for me, anyway.

Wouldn't hurt for you to check with JR Shepard in the Glock Pistols section of GATE for his recommendation.

best,
Mas

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I used to check the length of the recoil spring, as you suggest, when I was shooting primarily 1911s and later Sigs.

But really does not work with Glocks, that I am primarily using now. At least present Glocks with "contained recoil springs." Do you have quick method to check factory Glock recoils springs? I really only have a very general idea of how many rounds I have put thru my various handguns. Thanks.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,907 Posts
Excellent point, Jack, and thanks for the catch. On Glock Talk of all places, that should have occurred to me.

I don't recall being given a good test for Glock recoil springs when I went through Glock armorer school long ago. The advice was simply to change them every 5000 rounds. I think it's excellent advice.

Again, worth getting a second opinion from JR.

Best,
Mas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts