9mm single stack.... worth it?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by j-glock22, Apr 8, 2012.

1. fowler

fowler

The Gold Standard in small 9mm,s is the G26. It just plain works and is not limited by short service life,reliability,+P+,+P or standard ammo. It will eat it all and not fall apart like the Ruger LC9,Kahr,s,PPS,Kel-crap and all those other POS Junk cheapies.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Like my G26, but my EDC is a Kahr PM9. It's been as reliable as my G26 but is a whole lot more comfortable to carry. If I'm going in an area where I think I'd like to carry more rounds then I take the G26.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I used to CCW a K9 for almost 6 years. Never had a reliability issue with the gun itself. And the gun disappeared with a IWB holster. The only complaint I had was that (when compared to the G19), the grip was TOO slim. If size and weight are issues, a P9 would probably be ideal.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've been pocket carrying the .380 pistols for some time. Kel Tec P3AT, Micro Desert Eagle, Ruger LCP, etc, and all were pretty good (my SIG P238 and Diamondback sucked).

The major problem is the minor caliber. I figure if I ever have to use the .380 the first thing that will go through my mind is, "I wish I had a bigger caliber gun".

Last year I impulse bought a Ruger LC9. I did not like all the lawyer crap on the gun, such as magazine disconnect, thumb safety, big loaded chamber indicator, etc.
    [​IMG]

In the first eight days I ran over a thousand trouble free rounds through the gun. I stopped counting at over seventeen hundred rounds and still haven't had any trouble with the gun.

I got used to the safeties except the magazine disconnect, I hate those things, so I removed it from the LC9 (and my SR9C and SR40C).

Now, when my pockets are deep enough the LC9 is my carry choice.
    I like it so well I bought a spare LC9.:)

For a smallish 9mm the LC9 is quite accurate, even when standing and shooting back to 50 yards.
    [​IMG]

5. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

I still can't get past the limited capacity of single stacks. The really itty-bitty guns are all trouble-prone to some degree.

Here we have a Glock 17, 19 and 26.

[​IMG]

If you look at the actual size difference between a g26 and a g19, then add that many people put a pinky extension on the g26, the g19 (with 15 rounds) seems to be the ideal balance of capacity vs. size IMO. The 26 gives up 1/3 of it's rounds for not much smaller size.

I carry the 19 IWB most of the time. (Sometimes a well-proven Kel-Tec P11 instead, simply because the built-in pocket clip is such a cinch to carry.)

6. Four Knives

Four Knives

I've experienced nearly all the single stack 9's in search of a light IWB that can ride in a pocket if desired.

No experience w/LC9, so I'll defer to M2Carb.

KAHR CM9 - if you aren't looking at it, you are doing yourself a major disservice.
    MK9 as stated above is the same dimensions, but you can forget about pocket carry, as the all steel cousin is very clunky in pocket.
    KT PF9 is a good super cheap option, and the FLATTEST option if you do a 'fluff and buff' and pump some rounds through.

Kahr has a good trigger, albeit with a long reset, flawless function, although sliiiightly thicker than the PF9, it's the only one I found short enough to have viability as a pocket gun.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i have an Ruger LC9. if i can find a competent person in east Alabama to remove the mag disconnect and thumb safety id appreciate it....lawyer lock is a bit more of a trick id imagine. maybe should have gotten a Kel-Tek PF9.

8. unit1069

unit1069

I am really curious about this new Bersa, but none of my local gun shops have one and the two or three gun shows I've been to recently haven't had one. This is surprising to me because Bersas are all over the place and I'm wondering if there's something keeping them off the market.

Another GT member has the new Bersa and he wrote that he loved it up until putting about 600 rounds downrange, when it started becoming increasingly jammomatic. If I recall he said the extractor became worn and had to be replaced, so perhaps the new model rollout might be due to Bersa having to replace a sub-standard part.

BTW, can the new Bersa handle +P and +P+ ammo or does Bersa recommend shooting only standard pressure ammo?

9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I come to the conclusion that a Small Single stack 9mm is worth it, in a sense.

Nothing beats a .380 pocket gun for concealablity, but a small single stack 9mm like the Kahr PM9/CM9, Beretta Nano, Kimber Solo, and the like is good for occasional pocket carry and will disappear with IWB carry.

Will it carry well your pocket of your light dress pants, probably not, but in a larger front jeans pocket or cargo pants pocket, sure no problem.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

A P7M8 might do the trick. A bit girthy for a single stack, but as accurate as they get.

11. TangoCharlie145

TangoCharlie145

I concur completely with your assessment of the CM / PM 9. A colleague of mine went from carrying a Ruger LCP to the CM9 and is completely satisfied with its concealability as well as its function. It is accurate and controlable. I highly reccommend this if a pocket/IWB small powerful pistol is what you are looking for.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Its a nice backup option, if Glock made one it would sell like crazy, the new M&P Shield is interesting. Im very happy with my G26.

:50cal:

13. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

One of the chief reasons for carrying a pistol over a revolver is increased capacity, and the single-stack nines give up more of that advantage than I would like. I have no problem concealing my Glock 26, and it has had not a single failure in well over 4K rounds. If a single-stack floats your boat, I have no gripes, but they don't attract me.

14. L Pete

L Pete

I carried an LC9, and when I bought a CM9, I cleaned and stored my LC9. I love that CM9. I changed the sights, and it splits time as my EDC with my G-36. I guess I'm just a singlestack kinda' guy.

15. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I EDC a 26. That's damn funny.

16. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Size, weight, and a fast magazine change have little to do with it? :tongueout:

The G26 is easy to conceal, I EDC one myself. It's not however, a pocket gun. You need a pretty big pocket, for it. I'm 5'10, 36" waste. I stuff it in a pair of baggy dickies, it's very visible. IWB though, it disappears.

I like the little single stack 9's. I was looking at the Diamondback DB9, but I guess it gets bad reviews :dunno: I wouldn't mind something small to throw in the pocket while I run to the convenient store real quick. ATM I use my walther p22. Better than a 1911 on the nightstand.

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

I don't suspect you are going to share your specific experiences with any of those pistols by chance?

18. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

While I will NEVER get rid of my G26 (unless for a G27), I do wish I had a smaller single stack 9mm and I plan on adding one to my collection this summer. The top contender is the Kahr CM9 by far, but the LC9, PF9, and P290 are other options. I am interested in checking out Smith and Wessons new single stack as well if they actually make it to stores soon.

19. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

I'm sorry... did you include the pps in your list of "junk cheapies"? Get a grip.

20. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

There is only 3 maybe 4 single stack 9mm that are cheaper then the glock. Everything else is will pretty much cost you more. Heck the just buying one Boberg or a Rohrbaugh will cost you the price of TWO Glocks

The Kimber Solo, The Kahr PM9, The Sig P290 and the 938, and the Walther PPS, yea they are all junk cheapies :rofl: