Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow GTers,
I am encountering strong resistance when my finished rounds come out of the seating / taper crimp die. This had never happened to me before with 45 acp or 38 so I thought I would ask. The round goes unto the die without resistance but when it comes out about halfway out I have to apply considerable force to get the round out of the die. Loading on a Hornady LNL AP and using the Hornady 3 die set.
I set up the crimp by giving it 1/2 a turn after contacting the case and seating is set at 1.15. Why would this happen? if the round goes in easily, why hang when coming out? Even if I was over crimping, shouldn't the result be the opposite? No resistance coming out? Beats me.
BTW, the rounds passed the plunk test. They go into the barrel without a problem and stop where they need to so I don't think they are over-crimped.
I spoke to Hornady but did not get much help at all. Something like "I'm not sure but maybe with time it will get better"... This forum has always produced the answer to most of my questions so I thought I would turn to you guys for advice.
Look forward to your comments...

·
Registered
36,307 Posts
Seating & crimping in one step could be part of the issue with the sliding seating stem? What kind of bullets?

Reactions: ironhead7544

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Since you have a 5 station press I don’t see why you don’t seat and crimp in separate operations. But I would try backing off the die and try just seating the bullet and see what happens. If that works then back off the seating steam and try crimping the round and see what happens. I would also pull a round and see if you are way over crimping. Also it might help and take the die apart and clean it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
couple of things just to eliminate possible issues.

1. have you cycled the press without a case in the shell plate, this would verify that the press is working correctly.

2. adjust the seating die to just seat the bullet to your COL, no crimp.

3. adjust the die to just crimp a case with an already seated bullet.

do 2 & 3 with a single case in the shell plate then repeat with a full shell plate.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you have a 5 station press I don’t see why you don’t seat and crimp in separate operations. But I would try backing off the die and try just seating the bullet and see what happens. If that works then back off the seating steam and try crimping the round and see what happens. I would also pull a round and see if you are way over crimping. Also it might help and take the die apart and clean it.
I did disassemble and clean the die thoroughly with one shot... Will do what you suggest and check. My bullet puller will be here in a couple of days so that part will have to wait 2 days...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
couple of things just to eliminate possible issues.

1. have you cycled the press without a case in the shell plate, this would verify that the press is working correctly.

2. adjust the seating die to just seat the bullet to your COL, no crimp.

3. adjust the die to just crimp a case with an already seated bullet.

do 2 & 3 with a single case in the shell plate then repeat with a full shell plate.
Hey Sig,

1- yes it does
2,3 - will do to find out....

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I had a certain projectile in .38 special a while back that gave me fits.

I was seating and removing the flare in the same step. The cases were bulging and would not chamber. It just didn’t work with this particular bullet.

I had to back the die out and seat to the proper depth and then remove the seating stem and taper crimp in a second step. I was loading these on a single stage, so it was a big inconvenience, but it was the only way to get these rounds loaded and not waste them.

I would try it in two steps and see if that works. If it does then we know what the problem was.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will follow your suggestions. Just came back from the range and I'm happy to report that my first 9mm batch worked as expected and was actually very accurate. 60 rounds in all with absolutely no issues.
Will report after seating first and crimping second...
For now, I'll pour a scotch and raise it for both my first batch of 9mm and my first range trip with my new Sig P365... great little gun!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
follow up question post range report.

of the 60 rounds of 9 mm fired in your P365, how many were loaded per your issue described in your original post?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
follow up question post range report.

of the 60 rounds of 9 mm fired in your P365, how many were loaded per your issue described in your original post?
All of them...
I fired a total of 160 rounds. 100 Factory (Federal 115 gr) and 60 my own handloads (W231 w/ Montana Gold 115 gr). All fed and fired flawlessly. In fact, might be just me but my rounds were dead on... POA=POI. I was a bit less consistent with the factory rounds... Again, I probably was more paused when shooting my loads.
I like to shoot some at little spots in the backstop like rocks and such (@ 50 yards) and I was surprised how accurate I could shoot my handloads out of this little gun...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
O.K., functioning ammo despite the issues on the press, was there any kind of deformation on the bullets?

try flaring a case as you would for the powder drop but don't add powder and check the flare with a bullet to see if your flaring too much.

then run that case up into your seating/crimp die without a bullet and see if you have the same sticking problem, also check to see how much crimp happens.

I'm thinking that you may have more flare/crimp than you need and the round is sticking in the crimp ring in the die.

I run crimp in a 4th station and do get some resistance just as the loaded round start down/out of the die, but I have my crimp die adjusted to just remove the flare, no crimp.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
One a 4 die press,usually the resistance for a 9mm is the sizing die coming back out. The 9mm has the most amount of taper and therefore the greatest resistance. Are you running one round at at time, or all stations full on the LNL? You will be better off anyway to get a separate seat and crimp die. You could try posting on Benos, in the non Dillon reloading forum. Seems to be a few guys there running LNL's.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/76-non-dillon-reloading-equipment/

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I set up the seating / taper crimp die again. If I do not crimp, the bullet would seat with no issues coming out. If I crimp with no bullet (just to check) no issues. Instead of giving it 1/2 turn to crimp, I did only 1/4 of a turn. The issue appears again but it's not as bad.
I see the shellplate moving a bit when the issue happens...
I am not crimping almost anything... The Hornady videos say you should bell to .383 on the expander die and then remove the flare. I am expanding to .376-.377 and that seems to be enough to hold the bullet so i don't over do it. The crimp removes the flare to .374 and that's it.
Another thing that is happening is that when all the stations are full, the bullets were being seated at 1.162-1.164. When I run a round only in the seating die station, the bullet comes out at 1.148-1.149. this happens without me touching the die. And yes, the locking nuts both on the crimp and the seating stem are tight and so is the locking ring of the die. So I had to do all the rounds and then run each one again through the seater die to get them to my desired OAL. I will call Hornady next week. I suspect there may be a problem with the die itself. I have loaded about 5,000 rounds on this press and never had an issue like this before.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
If your rds are ok without crimping then why crimp? I don't find it necessary to crimp any of my 9mm. rds. Are you too short also, just asking? Don't know your bullet but with Berry's I seat to 1.25" which works great. Hope you figure it out.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Do you have a case gauge? If not, get one. First make sure all of your resized cases will case gauge. Then measure the mouth of the case. Put a bell on the case about .014 to .018 above whatever that number is. As long as you are not why over belling or under belling. Next when removing the bell on the case run the die down until it touches the loaded case with the ram up. Then in small increments run the die down until the case will case gauge, then turn it about a 1/16” more. Then pull the bullet and make sure you only have either no ring on the case or a very slight ring. Watch video.
When doing die set up you have to have a case at every station or as you found you will get different readings.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PpopVnN2tc

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Uncle, that's good info. I have been checking with the barrel of the gun as a gauge but I just bought the Lyman Handgun ammo checker which will also work for my 45 and 38/357 handloads. I just received the bullet puller collet for 9 so I will be pulling those out later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts