GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
OP ... If you do decide to consider a new caliber, consider the LCR in the "327 Magnum"

That gets you an additional round, and 3 or 4 more rounds you can shoot in it other than 327 Mag (that is more a marketing term than a round). Basically, you can pick your recoil level and the ammo choices are oddball enough they should "always" be available.

No bigger / width than a 5 round snub

I've been craving that gun/set up awhile, makes a lot of sense

Soft rounds for range fun, and the 327 mag packs a legit punch for SD

Haven't seen them for sale awhile tho

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.htmlu

Reactions: Distant Thunder

·
Registered
941 Posts
I appreciate your answer. I’m fairly invested in 10mm and really debate adding a 610 to the lineup, but I think your experience focuses on the concern I have. There’s very little that 10mm revolver does that a different cartridge does better. The N frame is too big to carry and capacity is lower than my 29 and SR1911 10mm. Either way, thanks for the thoughts.
Three things that your Glock and Rugers aren’t capable of:

A. the 610 can shoot .40SW without having to switch out any parts.

B. the 610 cylinder charge holes can be teamed out to take 10mm Magnum.

C. the 610 is cool.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,082 Posts
I appreciate your answer. I’m fairly invested in 10mm and really debate adding a 610 to the lineup, but I think your experience focuses on the concern I have. There’s very little that 10mm revolver does that a different cartridge does better. The N frame is too big to carry and capacity is lower than my 29 and SR1911 10mm. Either way, thanks for the thoughts.
The S&W model 610 N-frame (pre-lock) is a nice gun and can be re-chambered for the 10mm Magnum which has the same case capacity as the 41 magnum and can be reloaded to equal the 44 with everything vut the heaviest bullets. The Underwood 41 Magnum load drives a 265 grain bullet at 1350 fps. That's far beyond want any 10mm load will do and justifies the size of the gun.

And then with moon clips, you can still shoot 10mm and 40 S&W. But I think the 10mm is better suited to a medium frame gun and I like the Ruger GP-100 as a six shot 10mm. With a trigger job, that would be a nice gun.

I also like Revolvers chambered in 45 ACP. When I was reloading for my charter arms bulldog, I realized that the ballistics that I was achieving that improved on many standard 44 Special loads, were ballistics that were very similar to the 45 auto. For a while Taurus made a nice compact 45 ACP but they continued it, along with a similar revolver in 45 Colt which was even more of a good thing.

Now Charter Arms makes a Bulldog sized revolver in 45 acp that does not require moon clips. They ar also available in 9mm an 40 S&W and work without moon clips in those calibers as swell.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
2. It may also be a good way to get a new shooter started - my wife has expressed some interest in a handgun again. She shoots my S&W model 63 in .22LR and seems to like it - it has the 5" barrel and is a little unbalanced in her hands - so maybe a smaller revolver with a shorter barrel - using a low power cartridge could help her get started and then transition to another more capable SD load like a 9MM.
I'm all in favor of a new gun, but for fun range revolver time with your wife, I'm guessing .38 spl is the way to go.

There are thousands of versions of .38 spl revolver to pick from, depending on whatever your wife likes. Then get some 148gr wadcutters, and they will be low recoil.

Still get a 9mm revolver if you want one, but let your wife pick out a nice .38 :)

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
I am not planning on getting there for many more years - but am really trying to resist adding calibers.
.38 special is the best caliber :)

There's a whole lot of revolvers to choose from in .357mag to .38 special, and .38 specials shoots in all of them. Big heavy ones with long barrels, to little ones with short barrels. Heavy steel to space age lightweight materials. Old West to modern.

.38s are easy to shoot, easy to load, easy to empty. Easy to see if gun is loaded. Easy to make reloads with. The rim and the revolvers they go in work so well together.

A lot of positives can be said of 9mm and semi-auto. But if looking for a revolver, that is where .38 special takes over.

I'm just saying if there is any one caliber of ammo to own for revolvers, it is .38 special :)

·
Free Full Clip!
17,082 Posts
I'm all in favor of a new gun, but for fun range revolver time with your wife, I'm guessing .38 spl is the way to go.

There are thousands of versions of .38 spl revolver to pick from, depending on whatever your wife likes. Then get some 148gr wadcutters, and they will be low recoil.

Still get a 9mm revolver if you want one, but let your wife pick out a nice .38 :)
The perfect ammo for a lightweight 38 special is either the Buffalo bore or the Underwood 150 grain hardcast wadcutter. While target wadcutters have very little recoil, out of a 4 inch barrel they only develop about 750 fps, and out of 2 inch barrel, it's only about 600 fps.

The UW and BB loads both chronograph at an average of 850 fps out of my 1 7/8ths inch S&W Model 58 airweight humpback bodyguard and yet recoil isn't a whole lot more that target wadcutters. Both the Buffalo bore and the Underwood loads are non-Plus+P.

The Underwood ammo is cheaper, but if you really want to save money in the long run, learn to reload and get a Chronograph and you can duplicate the custom wadcutter loads at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That would be a great gun choice :)
I saw it on Gunbroker - current bid is $416 but a few days until the auction ends -

I really like the looks of the round grip VS the square one - and that 3" barrel is the one I want -

My luck the last few minutes the price will jump way up - I am not about to chase it -

I have no idea what a decent price is on this gun.

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Well the bid is now up to $705 with 11 hours left -

Plus they want $40 shipping - seems high
Plus they charge sales tax -
Plus a FFL charge on my end of $20-25

So minimum bid get me right at $835 -

I know something is worth what someone is willing to pay - but this seems right at the top - I was hoping $700 all in and may have gone to $750 -

Any guess on what it will end up - election day madness could be a factor!

I may end up with a Ruger Sp101 or Colt Cobra - although I like the older no lock S&W revolvers more - I have an itch that needs scratching!

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Sold for $800 -

Which would have been a total price with shipping, tax and transfer of about $935 for me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/882467118

Is my value meter off by a few hundred $ - this seem like too much for this gun.

A new 686 MSRP is $833 - so about $900 out the door if I pay full MSRP.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
About a year ago a local store had the SP101 and LCR 9mms for $400. I was tempted, but didn't get either. I don't have any revolvers, and rarely add calibers.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Unless you're lucky you won't get away with a 3" RB K frame in very good condition for much less than $750, add $100 for the .357 chambering, and then add the x factor of Gunbroker.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Best reason for a 9mm revolver is that it uses the same ammo as your other pistols and carbines.

If you want a light load for practice, you can easily come up with a handload to suit.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts