GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This. I don't see a point in 9mm revolvers. As soon as there is an ammo crunch, 9mm becomes unobtainium. A local chain store has .38 Special in stock and it is my belief that .38 Special is THE easiest round to reload.
I have plenty of 9MM - I think if I stopped buying 9MM all together I would have enough to last me until I am 80 - so a 9MM ammo crunch is not really an issue for me - but have zero 38 special rounds.

Seems like a benefit to shoot the same ammo through multiple guns VS having additional calibers.

I have also been considering a Ruger model 5050 - it shoots .45 ACP and Colt 45 -

I have a lot of 45 ACP - and buying a box of Colt 45 once in a while would not be a big deal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So does this mean that people are unhappy with something like a SW 610? Moon clips and pistol cartridge.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why you'd go through the trouble of shooting 9mm through a revolver when...

• a revolver chambered in 9mm will generate more recoil then you'd expect (ref; Newton's Third Law of Motion)
• there are umteen semi auto pistols to choose from that have a greater capacity & better sight options
• you can swap barrel lengths/calibers easily with a semi-auto
• semi autos are more comfortable to shoot

It sounds to me that you're just looking for an excuse to buy another firearm, and that's ok ;)

I would suggest however that before buying one if at all possible go rent and try one first, because doing so just might change your mind about the idea...

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
It'll never happen but 38 Super would work better than 9mm in a revolver. Ought to work with moons or speed loaders and able to extract without moons. Shorter Supers ought to extract better then 38spl in a jframe.

Reactions: pgg00

·
NRA Life Member
63,420 Posts
Thinking about a small revolver - but don't want to add another caliber
Not wanting to add another caliber translates as "I want to make sure I can't get ammo if my one caliber runs low."

I only use mainstream, popular calibers, but I use most of them.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Another option is to run a 9mm finish reamer in a 38/357 cylinder and get it cut for moons. It'll work with both but the 38/357 brass will have very slight bulge but doesn't hurt much.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The reason I bought my SP101 was I always like taking a revolver to shoot when I'm done shooting my semi's, at the time 9mm was cheaper and available (I have a decent pile) and I can shoot it without moon clips if I want too.
I also want to get better with revolvers so other than 22lr 9mm was best and cheapest option, and if I want too I can ccw it because it fits in my 357 Mag SP101 holsters.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why you'd go through the trouble of shooting 9mm through a revolver when...

• a revolver chambered in 9mm will generate more recoil then you'd expect (ref; Newton's Third Law of Motion)
• there are umteen semi auto pistols to choose from that have a greater capacity & better sight options
• you can swap barrel lengths/calibers easily with a semi-auto
• semi autos are more comfortable to shoot

It sounds to me that you're just looking for an excuse to buy another firearm, and that's ok ;)

I would suggest however that before buying one if at all possible go rent and try one first, because doing so just might change your mind about the idea...
My Korth Mongoose has both 38/357 and 9mm cylinders. There are a few reasons why it's good to shoot revolvers and in the case of the Korth, 9mm.
If you can work a revolver trigger double action you are pretty much good to go with any semi auto. Plus, there is something very satisfying about shooting a double action revolver well.
You don't have to chase brass around, if you reload.
9mm is cheap (in normal times) compared to 357.
Revolvers are generally more reliable than semi autos, and in the case of a misfire you just need to pull the trigger again.
I could go on, but those are some of the main reasons I enjoy shooting revolvers.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So does this mean that people are unhappy with something like a SW 610? Moon clips and pistol cartridge.
I bought a 610 in the early 90s after my 10mm semiauto broke twice and I had a lot of ammo, reloads and components. At the time a lot of 10mm pistols were just 45s with a new barrel and recoil spring and not up to the added pressure. A N frame revolver like the 610 can handle 44 magnum rounds so 10mm was no problem and the gun was accurate with a great trigger.

But a few years ago I replaced it with a 44 magnum which does everything I want a revolver to do better. More power, just as accurate, factory ammo ranging from weak 44 Special to full power 44 magnums and most importantly no more moon clips.

If you are participating in a revolver competition moon clips are great. Fastest reload possible in a revolver. But for a range I gun I didn't like them and usually let the cartridges headspace on the rim and plucked out the empties unless I was shooting some of the really hot stuff you can get from boutique ammo makers these days or 40 S&W. I had a tool to help getting the empties out but it was still an extra step. And as others have mentioned the clips are easily bent. Some people really like moon clips but I didn't.

I never saw noticeable bullet creep with my 610 but didn't check for it very often. I might have had a few start to pull out but never noticed if they did.

I did like the 610. But I like my S&W 69 better.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've owned a 940 in 9mm. Didn't keep it. As others have stated, the 9mm recoil is more unpleasant than 38. If your determined to go that route, shoot one first. If you decide you want one and don't like the idea of moon clips, check out the Charter Arms in 9mm which doesn't require them. I have the 45 ACP model and like it.

As for the Ruger 45ACP/Colt, I've got one of those and it's one of the softest shooting 45 ACP revolvers I've ever shot. It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
24,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not wanting to add another caliber translates as "I want to make sure I can't get ammo if my one caliber runs low."

I only use mainstream, popular calibers, but I use most of them.
I am 62 - decided 5 or 6 years ago to try and consolidate/ reduce my guns and gun related stuff. Don’t have anyone to inherit it that would appreciate it - and I don’t want to leave my wife with a giant mess.

I am working towards only 2 center fire pistol calibers 9MM and 45ACP. I am already down to 2 rifle 5.56x45 and 7.62x39, and 2 shotgun, 12 and 20 gauge.

And of course .22 both pistol and rifle.

I am not planning on getting there for many more years - but am really trying to resist adding calibers.

I have sold 5 - 6 guns for every one I bought the last few years - but have been wanting a revolver for a while.
I can change the rules whenever I want - but trying to explore my options .

·
Free Full Clip!
17,141 Posts
The only 9mm revolver I wouold ever want to own would be a Smith and Wesson Model 547 K frame 3 inch manufactured in the late seventies early 80's. They had a special extractor mechanism which was expensive to make and the gun was soon discontinued. But it worked perfectly and didn't need moon clips and 3 inch K frames were the sexiest guns ever made especially with fixed sights.

And the gun also had slightly different round butt grips and an abbreviated hammer spur which made the gun even more sexy looking an those grips felt great in the hand. These guns were also available in 4 inch but I would have no interest in one of those.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
So, it seems like the LCR, in any configuration, is not a pleasant gun to shoot.

Duly noted!
You can change that to snubbies in any legit caliber

They are not range guns, but with a little practice, they are great SD guns that fill a particular niche

OP ... Do your own thing, what makes sense for you. Don't go fishing for approval. It will do the job.

·
Registered
24,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You can change that to snubbies in any legit caliber

They are not range guns, but with a little practice, they are great SD guns that fill a particular niche

OP ... Do your own thing, what makes sense for you. Don't go fishing for approval. It will do the job.
More like fishing for relevant information -

Lost track of all the times GT helped narrow things down - I am not in any big hurry - could be weeks before half the stuff I would be considering is even available.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
More like fishing for relevant information -

Lost track of all the times GT helped narrow things down - I am not in any big hurry - could be weeks before half the stuff I would be considering is even available.
So where is your head on this?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Why a 9mm revolver? Well...why not?

The 9mm is the most popular cartridge in the USA (too popular right now for its own good but that's another story). Ammo was plentiful and reasonably priced, as is the great variety of loads.

The revolver is simple to use. No fuss, no muss. Five or six for sure. No worries about limpwristing, no worries about hollow points feeding (please don't tell me that your favorite auto feeds EVERYTHING because that's not true. Even the Glocks would choke on certain loads). Pretty hard to have a "Glock Leg" with a revolver be it hammer or hammerless.

For goofing around at the range, there's no need to use moon clips. The revolver will fire just fine without moon clips. All you need is a stick to poke out the empties, or just pry it out with fingernail. For "serious tactical" practice, by all means, use moon clips. It's not that big of a deal, nor is it a massive inconvenience.

If and when I carry my 9mm SP101, it is loaded with moon clipped rounds. That way I can eject the empties quickly. For reload, I'd simply use a speed strip. If I need a third reload, I might be dead already. Or better yet, if I think that I'd need a third reload, I'd carry something else.

Yes, the 9mm revolver recoils more than the .38 Special. However it doesn't recoil nearly as much as the .357 Magnum in the same or similar gun. Nor does it lose as much velocity as the .357 Mag either. Shoot the .38 Special Plus P and the recoil will also go up.

A snubbie wheelgun is a difficult gun to shoot well, so if you're not a good shooter in general and not a good revolver shooter in particular then you're better off carrying something else.

A snubbie pistol is the same way. Everybody and their brothers nowadays are all about double stack 9mm subcompact/micro compact until they actually shot the guns. But I digress.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought a 610 in the early 90s after my 10mm semiauto broke twice and I had a lot of ammo, reloads and components. At the time a lot of 10mm pistols were just 45s with a new barrel and recoil spring and not up to the added pressure. A N frame revolver like the 610 can handle 44 magnum rounds so 10mm was no problem and the gun was accurate with a great trigger.

But a few years ago I replaced it with a 44 magnum which does everything I want a revolver to do better. More power, just as accurate, factory ammo ranging from weak 44 Special to full power 44 magnums and most importantly no more moon clips.

If you are participating in a revolver competition moon clips are great. Fastest reload possible in a revolver. But for a range I gun I didn't like them and usually let the cartridges headspace on the rim and plucked out the empties unless I was shooting some of the really hot stuff you can get from boutique ammo makers these days or 40 S&W. I had a tool to help getting the empties out but it was still an extra step. And as others have mentioned the clips are easily bent. Some people really like moon clips but I didn't.

I never saw noticeable bullet creep with my 610 but didn't check for it very often. I might have had a few start to pull out but never noticed if they did.

I did like the 610. But I like my S&W 69 better.
I appreciate your answer. I’m fairly invested in 10mm and really debate adding a 610 to the lineup, but I think your experience focuses on the concern I have. There’s very little that 10mm revolver does that a different cartridge does better. The N frame is too big to carry and capacity is lower than my 29 and SR1911 10mm. Either way, thanks for the thoughts.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts