close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm Reliability in 1911 format

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by isuzu, Jul 2, 2006.

1. isuzu

isuzu

How reliable is the 9mm in the 1911 format, considering the ammo is much shorter than the .45 ACP and the .38 Super? The .45 ACP and the .38 Super are almost the same length while the 9mm is much shorter. That's why 9mm magazines have a "sleeve" inside to compensate for the shorter length.

I'd like to know because 9mms in 1911 format are, I might say, becoming popular.

2. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Balik pa rin yan sa tama'ng fitting ng baril dre. And the Para and Armscor 9mm's don't have spacers sa mags. It's the S_I platforms that I've read need the spacers. Why? I'm not sure...

3. isuzu

isuzu

I agree that proper tuning is still the key for a successful 1911 platform.

I've seen mags for a Springfield 1911 in 9mm in the Philippines that had spacers at the inside back of the mags. I'm not sure though, if they came with the gun or the owner bought them separate.

I know that you can adjust the OAL of the bullet for the 9mm when reloading them especially with 147 gr. There was even a 9mm open gun that I saw at the Indiana State Match in 2004. What I'm concerned is the OAL of the factory ammo. 9mm ammo is shorter than .45 ACP and .38 Super.

I recall my brother telling me that a shooting buddy of his had problems with his Para Ord 18.9 LDA.

4. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Yep, OAL is one key. So far yung dalawang LDA 18.9 ni gundog as well as the local 9mm Armscors I've seen run fairly well with factory loads and stock mec-gar mags.

Of course, dito kasi sa atin, madali lang magpa-smith. And a reliability tuning is realtively cheap, there's no point not actually having it done.