9mm Range Brass Pick Up Questions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by George Kaplan, Dec 22, 2019.

1. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Generally case head separation (case rupture) is due to bullet setback, just like in a KaBoom. However, case ruptures usually only result in blowing the mag out, the mag button, and sometimes the extractor. The barrel, slide and frame remain in tact. KaBooms usually split the barrel, crack the slide and blow out the trigger group destroying the frame.

Calling a double charge is impossible without knowing what press the shooter was using. Most progressives will not run backward. Once the handle is pulled they cycle in a clockwise direction. Now a Dillon 550 is manually indexed, so it can easily be doubled, which is why you look into the case at station 3. I load 3.4 grains of TiteGroup on my SD, as it cannot double, but I run 4.7 grains of BE-86 on my 550 so it almost spills on a double.

Now one of our guys blew up a G17, and he was using 3.3 TG on a Dillon 550. Competition shooter for over 30 years, but didn't look into that case.

This is what 6.8 grains of TG looks like (on the SD just for the photo, had to remove the case and restart to get it to double).

[​IMG]

Here's what 9.8 grains of BE-86 looks like on a 550(just pull the handle twice without indexing)

[​IMG]

Lagamor and Taterhead like this.
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

6.6 grains of TG loaded on a Dillon 550, oops...

[​IMG]

It also blew out the extractor, but did not destroy the slide. We had to beat the barrel out to unlock it. He ended up getting a frame off gunbroker, re-fitted the barrel, which he uses as a back gun now.

[​IMG]

Lagamor likes this.

3. Kentguy

Kentguy

I like BE86, I used this to replace power pistol in my JR Carbine & G17, 9mm loads. Works better the higher you get on the recommended powder range (5.2g-6.0g).
    124g fmj (precision Delta)
    BE86 @ 5.8g - fills the casing quite a bit.
    OAL @ 1.150"
    Test gun - G17/4.49" barrel
    Vel. @ 1,151 fps / SD @ 15.83246
    Test gun - JR Carbine/17" barrel
    Vel. @ 1,395 fps / SD @ 19.04118

It has a little less kick, a little less flash, and not as much "bang" as Power Pistol but every bit as accurate out of both of these firearms.

Added - Oh by the way I used Federal brass casing... don't like or use nickel.

4. nerr

nerr

Agree with crimped 9mm brass. I'll do it for rifle, but 9mm would have to be indestructible to make it worthwhile.

FWIW: I've reloaded Blazer brass and it works fine.

5. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

9mm's are usually more accurate at higher velocities, but I only use 4.4 grains BE-86 to make the minor power floor for USPSA Carry Optics, a 124 HiTek coated going about 1,050 fps out of a G17, and about 1,150 out of my 17" JRC. I can actually run 4.0 grains of BE and make minor in the carbine, but then I have to keep setting the powder measure. It's just far easier to have one load.

Coated bullets take about 1 grain less than jacketed right off the get go.

Taterhead and Kentguy like this.
  6. Schrag4

Schrag4

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I'm curious what people do with their mil crimped brass after they remove the crimp. Specifically, I mean, how do you know that the crimp is already gone after you shoot it, pick it up, tumble the brass, and go to put it on the press, again? I'm currently just setting these aside, because I have plenty of other brass, but I'm contemplating removing the crimp. However, I only want to remove the crimp ONCE, not every time I come across the same piece of brass. My first thought is to use a sharpie on the headstamp so that I know I already hit it, but I don't know if that would hold up. My next thought is to load them for lost-brass matches, LOL

7. papercidal

papercidal

My brass all gets sorted by headstamp and gets color coded when loaded (I use a double Alfa marker) so anything with a mark has been processed already when u sort the next time. 3E251CB2-CC03-4FB3-B3F0-A2DBDC1FD178.jpeg

8. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I run a blue Sharpie over the heads of my brass for easier pickup identification. I don't have one of those fancy case markers.

SBray likes this.
  9. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I use the black plastic trays that factory ammo comes in. I like the Remington ones, better made. Put the rounds in the tray bullet down, inspect the primers then using a sharpie run it over the base of the case. If doing testing I use different colored Sharpies.
    I also when I go to the range pickup any brass from some low life that think they are too good to pick up there own brass and either put in the range brass bucket or put them in a mesh bag. I then lay down a HF mesh tarp. Anything that missed the tarp I use a Gopher pickup tool pick up the brass and look at the base, if mine throw on the tarp. The rest either goes in the range bucket or the mesh bag to be inspected later.
    If the ammo is for a match. After loading dump them out on the floor, Case gauge the rounds then put them in the trays, inspect primers. Then using another tray put then on top of the loaded tray then flip over, then line up the 100rd plastic ammo boxes and dump them in the ammo box. Not 100% but better than loading the boxes one at a time.

10. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Yes to all, except 2 and 2a.

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Schrag, get a Dillon 1050. It has a built in swaging station... But it's allot more $$$ than a sharpie.

fredj338 likes this.
  12. papercidal

papercidal

If you load cast Bullets around 147 or so grain you will find that CBC brass will very often not pass a case gauge (like 7 out of 10 often) I’m not saying that it’s bad brass it is just thicker further up than other brands. By eliminating CBC, Aquila,& GFL headstamps along with the stepped cases I have reduced my reject rate to less than 1/1000 other than flipped primers.

Lagamor, HAMMERHEAD and fredj338 like this.
  13. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

CBC is great brass - for the scrap pile. I load MG 147 CMJ and closer to 100% won't gauge. That brass makes general range-pickup more challenging as I now have to try to be certain it doesn't get processed and accidentally loaded.

I don't remember so much Magtech brass floating around 5 or 6 years ago. Now it seems to be flooding the ammo market.

fredj338 likes this.
  14. papercidal

papercidal

most of the stuff my indoor range sells is magtech so I have to be careful about sorting all my range pickups.

SARDG likes this.
  15. fredj338

fredj338

I just don't pick up nato stamped brass but you could treat them like I do 223 brass. Once it is processed I mark the heads of cleaned cased with a Sharpie. So when I see them at the range the day I shoot, I know I am gtg to just throw them in the tumbler.

Schrag4 likes this.
  16. Schrag4

Schrag4

I don’t shoot nearly enough to justify a 1050 over a sharpie, LOL!

Collo Rosso likes this.
  17. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

LOL
    Guess I must have a pretty generous chamber on my Kimber, I've been using CBC brass almost exclusively since I bought the gun. I've loaded .357" 147 grain coated, .356" HAP and everything else with no trouble chambering.
    Maybe with a generous chamber thick brass is helpful. I've had nothing but great results with CBC brass.

18. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

I agree that it is good brass -- if it will chamber. My Ruger P89 will chamber Magtech brass and .358 cast bullets. The others won't plunk with that combo.

Lagamor likes this.
  19. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

I don't get many crimped cases, but have a routine to get them off the 550 when a primer won't seat. I ream the crimp and throw them back in the supply bin.
    I even loaded the dreaded stepped cases until I cut one in two, now I cull them.
    I get out steel cases with a magnet.
    The rest I use. My loads are moderate, Minor power factor for USPSA and IDPA, and I usually lose a case before I wear it out.

20. fredj338

fredj338

It would depend on the 147gr bullet but I cant get 100% with cbc in a stock Glock bbl. I just leave it for someone else.