Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in my intro post, I have a stupid question. I am considering buying a Glock 9mm for two reasons. 1) I don't have one and 2) the ammo is cheaper than my 1911 .45 pistol uses. When I search the 'net for the best places to order 9mm ammo, I see '9x19' and 'Luger' ammo. On a couple of ammo search sites when I search for '9x19' ammo, it finds 'Luger' ammo. What is the difference and what is supposed to be used in Glocks? I tried a search here and did not find anything useful.

· Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
Some of the European manufacturers use the metric designation 9x19 in their description (also sometimes 9mm x 19).

U.S. and some other countries like to use 9mm Luger.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I said in my intro post, I have a stupid question. I am considering buying a Glock 9mm for two reasons. 1) I don't have one and 2) the ammo is cheaper than my 1911 .45 pistol uses. When I search the 'net for the best places to order 9mm ammo, I see '9x19' and 'Luger' ammo. On a couple of ammo search sites when I search for '9x19' ammo, it finds 'Luger' ammo. What is the difference and what is supposed to be used in Glocks? I tried a search here and did not find anything useful.
Well, I was thinking about a 30sf (since I already have .45 ammo) or a mod 19 9mm. What I ended up with today is a mod 17 gen4 9mm. Bought 200 rounds of ammo and went home to clean it. I thought these were oiled at the factory. This one, NIB, was dry as new kitty litter. It's ready to go now, or more likely tomorrow.

· Registered
460 Posts
Not to be confused with the 9x21

· Registered
1,839 Posts
Thank you all. That's what I wanted. Also, why didn't I think of wikipedia. It should have been obvious.
Ha, that happened to me when I bought my LC9. I actually made it to my vehicle and only then noticed the "9mm Luger" on the barrel hood while the (overpriced) ammo I got from the LGS read "9x19". I freaked out but a quick Google search calmed me down.

· Registered
918 Posts
I pick up a G19 a few months back Perfect 9mm:music:

· Registered
40,386 Posts
IMO, if you are 1911 guy, you will likely hate the Glock. Ihave been trying to like them since the 1st gen G17, the grip angle & trigger are just counter to a decent 1911. Sure 9mm Luger, Parabelum, 9x19, all the same, but I reload m 45acp for a little more than most buy 22lr. Don't let factory ammo cost dictate your gun choice.

· Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,919 Posts
As I said in my intro post, I have a stupid question.
Not a stupid question at all. No one here knows everything. Even after 30 years of using/carrying/teaching firearms I still learn things I didn't know. And I learn by asking so please continue to do so.

In the world of firearm calibers there can be a lot of confusion. As others have already mentioned in this thread, 9X19 and 9mm Luger are interchangeable terms that mean the same thing. 9X18 and 9X21 are similar but different calibers. Same with the 7.62 used by rifles like the AK47, you have to be careful that you're getting the 'right' 7.62 as they come in 7.62X39 (AK47) or 7.62X54r (Mosin Nagant).

If in doubt...ask :)

Reactions: fredj338
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.